Thread: The Dominion of Men 3.4 - Not Quite Done patch released!

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Default The Dominion of Men 3.4 - Not Quite Done patch released!

The Dominion of Men 3.4 - Not Quite Done

Turns out we had one more in us - the fourth official patch for Fourth Age Total War: The Dominion of Men is here! Patch 3.4: Not Quite Done is the final, definitive (for real this time) instalment of the Fourth Age Total War mods, the culmination of more than 10 years of modding effort by hundreds of contributors!

This patch requires The Dominion of Men v3.0 and up. This patch is cumulative so you do NOT need to install 3.1, 3.2, or 3.3 first. It is NOT savegame compatible.

Download FATW: The Dominion of Men v3.0 Full Release here:

Installation Instructions
    1. Unzip the 34_Not_Quite_Done.zip file to a location of your choice.
    2. Copy the data folder inside into your .../bi/fatw folder.
    3. When prompted, choose to overwrite all existing files and folders.
    4. Start FATW: DoM in your usual way and enjoy!

Major Changes
    This patch includes further graphical improvements, balance adjustments, quality of life additions, and bug fixes to create the definitive version of Fourth Age Total War: The Dominion of Men.
    The most visible inclusion is a new settlement battlemap for smaller Dunedain cities; they're pretty but not quite as easy to defend as the larger cities, so you'll have to plan your garrisons accordingly.

For a full list of changes please see the patch notes included in the download.

Huge Units Balance Patch

Also released now as a seperate download is a patch to balance version 3.4 of the mod for huge units sizes. As you are probably aware FATW has always been balanced for large unit sizes only, but since we know most of you play it with huge units anyway, we decided to release a patch that helped to balance population growth and income so that the campaign would play as closely as possible like playing with large unit sizes. You can grab this patch right here:

IMPORTANT: This patch is ONLY compatible with DoM 3.4. It is not savegame compatible and will not take effect until a new campaign is started.
    Installation Instructions
    1. Make sure you have FATW: The Dominion of Men version 3.4 installed
    2. Unzip the 34_huge_units_patch.rar file to a location of your choice.
    3. Copy the data folder inside into your .../bi/fatw folder.
    4. When promted, choose to overwrite all existing files and folder.
    5. Start FATW DoM in your usual way and enjoy!

Other News

This is almost certainly the final release of Fourth Age Total War: The Dominion of Men, we hope you enjoy it! While this is the end of the mod our little team isn't quite finished playing around with Rome Total War modding, or Tolkien's Middle-earth. We are currently working on a little submod for DoM set in a different age, and if you like DoM you will definitely want to keep an eye out for it. You will see news of it here first!

For more information, technical support, AARs, LPs and general mod related discussion you are already in the right place, but please also come and join us on the FATW discord channel as well.

If you have any questions about installation or any other part of the mod then the FAQs thread should be your first stop.

Finally, if you are enjoying the mod and would like to support us a quick review or rating over on moddb would be very much appreciated. And if you know other Tolkien fans, or Total War fans, who you think would enjoy the mod please do spread the word around, we want as many people to enjoy it as possible!
    Last edited by webba84; November 01, 2019 at 11:38 PM. Reason: formatting

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: The Dominion of Men 3.4 - Not Quite Done patch released!

Congratulations on the release!

This was always a very inspiring mod.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Definitely ready to play with Huge units.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

nice, always liked your map and your settlements. downloading now

Tiro

Is it just me or does Adunabar seem to use more orcs and trolls than in 3.3? They are also using more artillery and fewer archers. I actually like seeing more orcs because I like to see the bastards die.

I haven't noticed yet - in my 3.4 Rhun campaign, Adunabar hasn't been throwing too much my way, and in my 3.4 Dwarves campaign I haven't seen their armies up close.

I'd guess they're using those forts in Mordor to pump out Uruks and trolls. Not sure about the artillery, but I always like seeing fewer archers when I'm fighting Adunabar. Those bowmen can be tricky to deal with!
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

That was a very nice surprise, many thanks.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Garbarsardar View Post
    That was a very nice surprise, many thanks.
    You are most welcome!

Well, here we are! What a journey it has been...

I still remember fondly how blown away I was back when the open beta of DoM was released. The faction variety, the little lorebooks and the amazing detail of the campaign map. I remember my first campaign playing as the Beornings. I remember when in 3.1, I finally completed the Dwarven campaign. I remember faling back to Fornhud, rallying the last of my warriors for a last stand against the blue death. I remember several fruitless attempts at the Elven campaign.

And long before that, I remember the hundreds and hundreds of hours spent in TNS...

Webba, Count, and the others on the team... Your dedication and creativity produced a truly unique total war experience that will no doubt be cherished by fans for as long as we can get RTW:BI to run Also massive shoutout to Wambat for his diplomacy guide, basically creating an entirely new way to play and showcasing it on youtube to people like me who though they knew everything about this game, and for him being an all-out bro here on the forums.

Maybe one day my life will be stable enough so that I too can find the time to put out a letsplay. Until then, (or until next time), may the grace of the Valar bless all your endeavours, in modding as in other things.

Quote Originally Posted by nergalsmom View Post
    Also massive shoutout to Wambat for his diplomacy guide, basically creating an entirely new way to play and showcasing it on youtube to people like me who though they knew everything about this game, and for him being an all-out bro here on the forums.

Maybe one day my life will be stable enough so that I too can find the time to put out a letsplay.
    You make me blush under my fuzzy cheeks . There will always be room for more Fourth Age Let's Plays. Let's all make sure this work can be appreciated for as long as possible.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Thank you, the Team, for your work. This is a very fine piece of modding, providing much fun to the Tolkien fans who play the mods!
    JoC
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Wow, I went to randomly check for news and now I'm playing like crazy again Great job guys.

Btw, is there possibly a way to play with several factions, in some hotseat mode? I would love to play all factions at once and build my own story.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Somebody on the discord was building a hotseat submod, I think if you head over there you should be able to find what you're looking for.

Great, much thanks!

Douchebag's Avatar Vicarius

Hi, is it possible to increase the amount of recruitment slots you get??? How would i be able to mod this in???