Thread: Warcraft: Total War - Custom Voices and Music!

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Default Warcraft: Total War - Custom Voices and Music!

Hello, this thread is intended for discussions about the custom voices/custom music in Warcraft: Total War. And any progress regarding implementing new voices and sound to the mod.

Unfortunately my game CTD after removing the Event-files, and on the second try it will start but won't have a lot of the sound in the game. While the music is restored 100% a lot of the other sound is not. This happened to me after a NVIDIA-update, and i have the same issue in Hyrule: Total War. Meaning i cannot change voices/music or the way they work in game anymore without loosing a lot of the other sound.

The game is supposed to start normally on the first attempt giving the player a "click"-sound that everything is alright. Instead it would simply crash to desktop. And when looking at the file it's about a third of the size of the old file.

I'm going to upload the files here though. And link you guys to the tutorials in-case anyone wants to try this themselves.

Here are my work that anyone is free to take a look at and try to get working. The sound-files do not recreate for me.

Warcraft custom voices.rar

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1unh...ew?usp=sharing

"They only recreate half the sound. Same in Hyrule. May be the computer. I've given up on changing music/voices. I leave that to anyone else. This work is only the Human voices by the way."

And here are the voice-folder and SFX-folder needed to recreate the files (the music will need to be extracted from the files of your own copy as well, i can't upload the music):

Sound-files Warcraft.rar

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qSj...ew?usp=sharing

And the files i've gotten with all the voices needed for most factions:

Warcraft battle voices files.rar

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FYv...ew?usp=sharing

Tutorials that i tried to follow:

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...e-a-new-accent

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...oice-overhauls

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...Extractor-v1-2

Thread with my issue vaguely explained:

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...not-rebuilding

Any help is welcome or the mod won't have unique voices.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Default Re: Warcraft: Total War - Custom Voices and Music!

"Hey, I'm not sure if that's been already solved or not, but I figured out why the custom voices weren't working. Files descr_sounds_units_march, descr_sounds_units_run and descr_sounds_units_anims had references to missing mounts (Farraki Raptors and Red Drake Riders), I removed those and my events.dat compiled normally."

Tucket1 over at the Discord fixed the issue in Warcraft: Total War with voices not being compiled correctly. The text above was his solution to the issue, an issue which caused the game to not recreate the events.dat-file properly causing a loss of the in-game sound for marching, voices etc.

I had the very same issue in Hyrule Total War: Classic Ultimate where the music would be recreated but not any of the marching sounds etc.

I did check the files in both mods and for the voices there where outdated mounts in the older file.

For HTW: Classic Ultimate the files seem empty. I don't know what is causing the same issue there but I'm thinking maybe if I used the 4.6 files it would work.

Back to Warcraft: Total War - so I've been sent the Night Elven voices and they do work.

He has done voices for the battles when selecting the units.

But not just that.

- He has replaced the Narrator of the battles with Tyrande. So whenever something happens you'll hear Tyrande and not the Medieval 2 guy. So the battles will be super immersive as the Night Elves.

- He has also added appropriate voices for the strat-map. Including the generals, units and the merchants, spies, assassins and priests. Even the Diplomat has basic voice lines when selected but maybe not in the diplomacy screen.

That's more details than I would have hoped for.

And the Good news? He is doing the High/Blood Elves now.

Tucket1:s new voices for the Kaldorei (Night Elves) are Save-Game compatible.

They work with my on-going let's play. We have a new narrator and it works perfectly. Then we have the strat-map.

On the strat-map I can see that the work wasn't finished.

There is room for improvement.

What Tucket1 has done is he has added a generic female voice to all the generals, both generic and custom.

Then I found out that Naisha the female Huntress has her own custom voice on the map.

No other custom hero has that.

Tyrande is the narrator in battle though.

The Admiral has a male voice from warcraft.

But the male generals have the generic female NE voice currently - as in malfurion, Cenarius, remulos and any other male general has the generic female generals voice.

What about the agents?

All of them have custom female voices - even the diplomat.

In essence the only issue would be that many custom characters lack custom voices, and that the men have female voices.

No more vanilla voices on the map for the Kaldorei (Night Elves).

What about battle?

When you select units they have custom unit-specific voices.

However, not all the vanilla voices are gone. When you click the buttons of the battle-UI such as formations, special abilities etc sometimes you'd get the vanilla voice.

I've found that there are new voice lines for retreat, march, attack, selecting a unit. But not for special abilities like formations. So with certain buttons you'd get the vanilla voice.

Also, I found out that the game still has the vanilla voices for selecting characters - but they're played a bit after the Warcraft voice and are delayed. So when you select a unit you get the proper Warcraft voice. Then when you order it to march you get the Warcraft voice, then a bit after that you get the vanilla voice. At least it happened sometimes. So the vanilla voices in battle aren't 100% gone.

I'm still impressed with Tucket1:s effort.

The bodyguard has voice-lines. Just not when selected. But she does when ordered to march or run etc.

So, I checked all the units. The voices do work. I will need to look up how to silence the vanilla slurs and chants when hovering over a unit. They do still say things like "Fear my Wrath".. But it's possible to silence. I just don't know the method. I'll look up a guide.

There are a few units without voices such as the bodyguards, the Fairie Dragons and the Ancients of War - even the Mountain Giants - but it's understandable. They still have voices when ordered. Just not unit-specific.

The Avengers seem to lack their voice. They could probably use the same as the Moonstrikers. I'll fix that later.

Or it's because they where made into Undead Sylvannas bodyguard as they did look exactly like her troops in one of the WoW trailers.

Adding these new Night Elven voices to the other units shouldn't be too much of an issue. I just need to understand said files.

With all said and done the work by Tucket1 is impressive, and he did manage to fix the issue with the warcraft events.dat-file not compiling properly - the issue I now face is that Hyrule doesn't have the same issue. But I'll look int the files to see if I can understand the issue here - because Hyrule also couldn't compile the sound of cannons etc properly. It must be something similar.

The Night Elven voice for the Archers and the Moonstrikers could easily be shared with the High/Blood Elven Archers and Rangers. The Warden voice with the Blood Shades - unless Tucket1 has other plans for those factions.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal