Thread: Reset Campaign AI?

Default Reset Campaign AI?

I always played on Hard campaign and Medium battle difficulty, and I used to enjoy the campaign AI. Recently, I noticed the campaign AI has become very "scriptedly" passive with the same pattern of movement. And I did not change anything within the game setting/file setting.

From my own experience, I deduced that enemy campaign AI passiveness is randomized, even though all I ever played at is Hard. At the beginning of campaign, I would open up fog of war to see enemy moves to judge enemy level of passiveness. For example, on Sicily, a good Carthage AI would try to attack Syracuse within the first 5 turns, while a passive Carthage would just park its army there and do nothing for a long time. With factions that start with one city, good AI would try to expand right away, often besieging another city within the first 3~5 turns; passive AI would just park its army near its only city and do nothing for a long time. And I would restart my campaign until I run into enemy AI that is not passive.

Recently I noticed despite restarting my campaign many times, I keep getting the same passive AI. Not only are they extremely passive, but also they are moving to the same spot again and again in every campaign restart. Now what can I do to reset the AI back to good AI before I reinstall the whole mod/game, because the AI used to be much better and I changed nothing. Should I regenerate the map.rwr? Any tip is welcome

Default Re: Reset Campaign AI?

I have the exact same problem, and I think that I am playing on Hard campaign (slightly unsure and now unable to determine in any way) and Medium battle (absolutely sure) difficulty. At some point not too far into the game the AI just started bringing their troops next to my settlements and do nothing. Sometimes they eventually just leave only to come back.

The only explanation I can think of for this behavior is that once settlement defences evolve during the course of the campaign, the AI somehow calculates that a direct assault on the walls would be too costly and that it is better just to wait and try to provoke a pitched battle. I have no evidence for that, obviously. It is certainly detrimental to immersion.

Unfortunately I cannot contribute to your actual question, but I think it is good to mention that you are not the only one affected.

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    AI just started bringing their troops next to my settlements and do nothing. Sometimes they eventually just leave only to come back.
    I think that is okay, considering the AI is still trying. But with my case, the AI, especially the one city factions, just park their full flag army next to their only city and do nothing, for 10+ turns.... I mean I have seen how good AI play ( on Hard) and they expanded competently, so that even though I still have to role-play (nerf myself) when going against AI I still have lots of fun. But now when they don't even expand, and just literally sit there, it feels like I am in a room of zombies no matter how much I try to role-play....

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

Just play in Hotseat and play every faction :^) Sorry but thats an interesting question, I also saw differing behaviours throughout my games, I also have the feeling my game died a bit on me in regards to crashes which doesnt make sense.

Very Hard campaign is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvzilla View Post
    Just play in Hotseat and play every faction :^) Sorry but thats an interesting question, I also saw differing behaviours throughout my games, I also have the feeling my game died a bit on me in regards to crashes which doesnt make sense.
    Most of the script doesn't work in Hotseat, so that's a terrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by tentaku View Post
    I think that is okay, considering the AI is still trying. But with my case, the AI, especially the one city factions, just park their full flag army next to their only city and do nothing, for 10+ turns....
    Oh, you mean *that*. I misunderstood your starting post. That is a known issue with the AI and cannot be helped as far as I know. The AI makes itself vulnerable by bringing out the troops that are supposed to defend a city and only leaving a minimum garrison to defend the city itself.

That can be understood as reluctance to expand, and human players should try to roleplay the situation without taking advantage of the AI's shortcomings. If I got this right, we should always lay siege on the city instead of beating the adjacent stack first and then going for the walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    The AI makes itself vulnerable by bringing out the troops that are supposed to defend a city and only leaving a minimum garrison to defend the city itself.
    I just came to think that the AI may be making room for future recruitment to avoid the stack limit. That behavior may have been coded (hardcoded?) in a less than optimal way by making the AI send out its troops way before the stack limit is about to become an issue.

Thanks guys for the feedbacks. I guess I will just give the AI more time to explore around....

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    Very Hard campaign is better.
    I tried very hard already, same moves, same pattern, it's so "same" that I sent my diplomat to the exact spot the AI diplomat would show up at, and wait for him there....

Quote Originally Posted by tentaku View Post
    Thanks guys for the feedbacks. I guess I will just give the AI more time to explore around....

I tried very hard already, same moves, same pattern, it's so "same" that I sent my diplomat to the exact spot the AI diplomat would show up at, and wait for him there....
    I have spent hundred of hours playtesting the game and yes, the AI will do the same movements of the first turns. However, as keep playing things become more random, but the first 50/100 turns usually follow the same pattern with around 4/5 different patterns. Of course it also depends on the player movements, since you are what causes more changes on the campaign.

Still, Very Hard campaigns are more challeging and the AI usually gives you a harder time while still being diplomatic.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

The AI I made for DaC was slightly "better" than EBII's in terms of not being passive; the one for EBII focused more on diplomacy.

I will probably adjust the AI at some point, it could use some improvements in terms of the overall decision tree and how it's executed. By the way, you are correct it *is* random but there is a rather low chance of it being random. It's like 0.01% that it will be aggressive sometimes.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    I will probably adjust the AI at some point, it could use some improvements in terms of the overall decision tree and how it's executed. By the way, you are correct it *is* random but there is a rather low chance of it being random. It's like 0.01% that it will be aggressive sometimes.
    and that 0.01% was some of the best experiences I ever had with Total War games, the AI expanded fast, they had great initiative, it's like they are actually thinking and had an overall goal.

One question regarding that randomness, when that 0.01% occurs, does it apply to each faction AI individually? meaning that some will be competent while some remain passive; or does it occur across the board, that every AI faction now has a competent AI?

Also I have attached this picture. It's turn 22 when picture was taken, but since then 20 more turns have passed, and these 2 celts factions still doing the same stand off, neither side moving, and both remaining at 1 settlement.

Last edited by tentaku; October 30, 2019 at 12:22 PM. Reason: picture proof

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Most of the script doesn't work in Hotseat, so that's a terrible idea.
    I know I was being facetious . Does enabling hotseat crash the whole script and AI system ? Whats behind that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Marvzilla View Post
    I know I was being facetious . Does enabling hotseat crash the whole script and AI system ? Whats behind that ?
    When you start as a faction, that is designated the player; all scripts designed for the human player of every other faction is shut down at that point. If you switch factions from the one you started with, that faction's specific scripts will also be switched off.

Every single player-specific script would have to be rewritten to allow them to be compatible with Hotseat.