Two days ago I saw this movie, Santa Sangre, which translates to "Holy Blood". It was made in 1989. I hadn't seen any other work by this director so didn't really know what to expect.
The movie doesn't waste much time in becoming very brutal. Already in the first 16 min there is a memorable scene with a sect's church and its holy idol, 'Santa Sangre'. The idol is a statue of a schoolgirl, with no hands, because the actual person was murdered in that way and raped while she bled to death.
Their church ends up being demolished, right after a member of the catholic church declares it as heretical.

The Santa Sangre makes a second appearance not much later... But this time it is the goriest scene of the movie, and I have to place in a spoiler, despite the description of it being very brief.
Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
the protagonist's father cuts off both arms of his mother

The film has roughly 90 more minutes to go from that development (death of the mother). In my view the rest of the movie isn't that shocking, and therefore the center of everything is in the two Santa Sangre scenes (also presented in the title of the movie itself).

The protagonist ends up as a serial killer. In my view - this is supported by a few things he says - he identified with his killed mother and the victims, but had to try to identify with the aggressor (the father in this film) as well. The end result is that he cannot be with any woman. In fact he even tries to be with a woman just because she is a wrestler and very strong, and in the end asks her to break his arms

Overall, I think this movie wasn't balanced that well. But it doesn't matter that much, since I don't believe I have seen before anything as shocking as its two core scenes in the start.