Thread: Scandinavia Overhaul - More High Medieval Look

Default Scandinavia Overhaul - More High Medieval Look

I started a unit overhaul project for SS6.4 cause the vanilla models got boring. Of course as I found out when I got it working the units look really good in SSHIP, and generally don't need improving (my own work is rooted in the DLV unit mod resource anyway). But I think the Scandinavian units, while great for a viking age mod, look out of place in the 12th and 13th centuries. So I think there's room for a overhaul still. The units are still a WIP.

I may expand the overhaul to other factions, mainly for the sake of redoing the heraldry. I've been doing some reskins based as closely as possible on authentic medieval examples.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scand drengjar.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	359841Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scand padded.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	359842Click image for larger version. 

Name:	norw3.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	359843Click image for larger version. 

Name:	norw2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	359844Click image for larger version. 

Name:	norw.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	359845Click image for larger version. 

Name:	german knight.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	359846Click image for larger version. 

Name:	english.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	359847Click image for larger version. 

Name:	english2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	359848
    Winter is Coming

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Scandinavia Overhaul - More High Medieval Look

Superb initiative !
    I try for some time to redo the SSHIP costumes for more historical accuracy ... https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...logy-Costumes)

I have hardly touched the Scandinavian units, could your work be associated with mine in the future ?

Yeess!!! I think that new models for sship units are ever welcome! Kostic and Vmtimaratio can work together and improve sship units! And maybe make new historical units rosters!
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Definitely would be good to do a cooperation, looks like we're aiming to do the same thing really.

Did redo the faction coat of arms for Norway, and some attempts at knights helms (I like having details 3D for elite armor, won't be many of those on screen so shouldn't impact framerate too much).

Also the peasant/militia armor upgrade mail, with shorter arms etc.

Name:	norw arms.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	359858
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails norw kn 3.jpg   mail ug.jpg  
    Winter is Coming

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

Exactly what I've wanted! I have no idea about how to make models and textures, but I do have quite a bit of historical knowledge. Let me know if you need any assistance with things like period-specific Scandinavian armour, heraldry, etc.
    If only Sweden was in the mod... damn you, faction limit!

Quote Originally Posted by Eldgrimr View Post
    Exactly what I've wanted! I have no idea about how to make models and textures, but I do have quite a bit of historical knowledge. Let me know if you need any assistance with things like period-specific Scandinavian armour, heraldry, etc.
    If only Sweden was in the mod... damn you, faction limit!
    For factions that dont have slot in the game, as armenians, bulgarians, sweden... Is possible make new units models as regional units that you can hire as mercenaries in their local regions, so you could play with sweden unit if you hire them in uppsala or others sweden regions
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

The closest faction to Sweden is Denmark. In testing it, I wonder if the choice to use a general and the general's bodyguards on foot with a look of the Xth century warriors is wise for the date of the beginning of the game 1132 ...

@Eldgrimr :
    Could you give me some information on the aspect of the warriors of this time ?

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Norway always had a lack of cavalry due to the shape of their country (lot of mountains, narrow valleys, lot of forests, low population, country quite insulated to the rest of Europe). Cavalry was pretty useless in there. So yes, for Norway, having the BG as an infantry unit makes sens, at least for the early era. But it doesn't need to have a viking look.
    On contrary, Denmark is quite flat and in direct contact with other major Western kingdoms, especially HRE. So their BG should be more similar to the other Western European factions.

To stay simple, Denmark should be a mix between NE factions and their 'traditional'/specific units at the start of the game, evolving quite quickly to reach the same level as the others NE factions.

For Norway, that's a bit more complicated. They should keep a roster quite specific at the start, mainly focused on infantry, archers, crossbows and navy. The only cavalry available should be light and scarce or be German mercenaries. Then they should follow the same evolution as Denmark but with 50 to 100 years delay and still with limited cavalry.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; November 11, 2019 at 11:30 AM.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Have been making a fair bit of assets since last I posted here, some early helmet types and a chivalric knight for the region, also some 14th centuty helmets and things. But I ended up redoing an easily customizable base mesh for use on this and future projects, but need to fine tune textures a bit (things like the armored legs are very rough). These base models are the old ones anyway.

Regarding factions, I've been playing with the idea of doing a sub-mod using the WOTN baltic map with the whole peninsula but with the period being that of sship, basically covering the civil wars in all three countries with a bunch of counter factions and stuff. But I don't know who I'd need permission from to use that map, the heights were a bit rough on it as I remember (some battles were unplayable cause you couldn't move units), plus I am more a unit person than a mapper or scripter. Still, If permissions were granted and people were interested in joinging I would be interested in doing more extensive rosters.

Name:	scandearly.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	359951Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scandchiv.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	359952Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scandlate.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	359953

@Eldgrimr

Any inspiration is good, especially heraldry. Can be hard to find for this period outside of England/France/HRE.

And I do think the unit roster could be edited a bit, things like drengjar units being peasant axemen and swordsmen and replacing the regular axe and spear militia in the early period maybe. And there should be swordsmen outside the hirdmenn.
    Last edited by VltimaRatio; November 11, 2019 at 03:09 PM.
    Winter is Coming

Blog Entries

If you want to make a submod based on the Wrath of the Norsemen: The Baltic Release, I'd suggest you to create a thread in their forum as this is not related to SSHIP or SS.

Regarding the person to contact for permission, you should start with Mr_Nygren.

Edit: this thread should interest you. It has some very useful info
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; November 12, 2019 at 06:33 AM.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

I'll help out a bit when I get the time, but here's some small info regarding the composition of the armies. During this time period, the Scandinavians mostly favoured heavy infantry. Cavalry was scarce, but nobles were mounted. The armies usually consisted of mostly heavily armoured peasant infantry, while around 1/3 to half were archers/crossbowmen.

This looks so great!

Not a whole lot needs doing before a first stainless steel version is done (though just covering the early - early high period), just got to refine the shield textures for norway and denmark for the different tiers (from blank/monochrome to more elaborate).

Also made progress on the WOTN sub mod, which will be called Scandinavia Total War (unless that's a thing already) and use the Baltic map from that mod (I've gotten permission from that team). I'll make a separate thread for that very soon, I need to recruit someone who can put Baltic campaign towns and buildings like castles back into it...

Name:	___scand_battle.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	246.5 KB 
ID:	360031
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ___scand_baltic.jpg  
    Winter is Coming

Blog Entries

Again, if you make a mod which is not based on SSHIP, you need to make your own dedicated thread, here if based on Stainless Steel or here if based on WotN

I hope VltimaRatio comes back to this some time. Looked very promising.

I will try and finish at least the WIP units that are not quite imported yet, most of them were in the file I posted in the other thread. That should be compatible with the new SSHIP. I also sent them to Kostic and told him he could incorporate them into the period costume mod as he needed some late era units.
    Winter is Coming

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by VltimaRatio View Post
    I will try and finish at least the WIP units that are not quite imported yet, most of them were in the file I posted in the other thread. That should be compatible with the new SSHIP. I also sent them to Kostic and told him he could incorporate them into the period costume mod as he needed some late era units.
    Just do it, looks promising!
    JoC

Hi VltimaRatio, I don't remember receiving your units, I just saw pictures of your work some time ago.

If you have units to offer, I will be happy to receive them. After that, I naturally have to find the time to incorporate them. I already have a whole list of units for Byzantium waiting for my real life to give me a little more time.

I may have been unclear in the PM, I placed a dropbox link in the other thread I made when this one got buried.

I think if you place the folders into yours replacing the bmdb instances should be pretty painless, especially if it's just the late maa units. I don't think I messed around with faction availability, or at least very little.

But I'll still need to fix an alpha channel issue with the militias and polish / port the new helmets I made before christmas.

Name:	basc.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	364384
    Winter is Coming

You were right ! I found the PM and downloaded your units. Thanks for this reminder !

I have to organize myself because you are not the only one offering me units and I am a little distracted sometimes.
    In any case, I have now classified them so that I can use them later.

Bravo for your work on the 14th century helmets; they are quite correct historically according to the documentation that I have.