Thread: Wealthiest regions, factions, cities?

Default Wealthiest regions, factions, cities?

I was wondering from your experience:

1. Which is the faction that makes the most money in the game? Why? Is something unique to that faction or any other faction given time and means can get it too?

2. Which regions, cities, can get you the most resources (money) and why? Is from the get go or you have to wait and build thing that get you that money? Can any faction develop those regions or only certain ones can do it?

Default Re: Wealthiest regions, factions, cities?

Carthage is without any doubt the faction that makes the most money in the early campaign, this faction just has crazy amounts of money flowing into their pockets every turn and they don't have a need to keep large armies so even more money. And once they start conquering Iberia it gets even crazier. Apart from Carthage, the Seleucids also start making a lot of money once they are able to build mines in their territories, but that takes around 220 turns to be able to conquer territory, afford the mines and build them. The Ptolemaioi are better than the Seleucids, since they can easily defend their territory and make a good amount of profit every turn.

Carthage and Ptolemaioi are supposed to be rich - their challenge isn't having money but factional manpower.

Sab'yn and Taksashila are also often rich once they've consolidated their home region.

One thing is being rich, the other is being filthy rich and that is what happens with Carthage, which was a huge amount of money. About the factional manpower, that's really not a problem since Atig, Carthage and Adrumet can provide enough LibyPhoenicians and Libyans, while Lilubim provides greeks and Nurri provides mercenaries, since these cities are all close to each other, it is very easy to create a strong army.

However, with the team changes to Carthage + my new events, the situation for Carthage is now fixed. They still can have lots of money, but will have trouble if they keep spending too much, especially during wars, even reaching the red.

Every faction gets filthy rich in late game.

Makedonia can get out of debt and into big money early if they pull a turn 1 "quickie" (admittedly, you gotta be really lucky to do it) by capturing Pella on turn 1 using a spy to open the gates, and repair the mines using their starting money. Athens, Corinth and hellenic regions at western Anatolia can earn a huge amount of money too, but there it is offset by need for larger garisson.

My go to strategy for early game Seleucids is to not spend money except for ciritical +public order buildings and safe everything for mines instead. Especially Persepolis and some other cities in the east + Sardis and Issos will bring your between 1000 to 2000 mnai each turn once completed. Afterwards you should have no problem sustaining three moderate armies for each likely front and continous building.

Carthage core - Carthage and the 2 neighbouring African cities, the starting city on Sicily and Sardinia. Rome, Campania, the coastal cities of Spain that have mines.

I mean, to be honest it comes down a lot to starting situation and mines. Like everything that isnt a camp can potentially make a lot of money, just that if it starts small it will take a while to get there. Cities like Carthage for example start among the biggest at game start and thus are a great asset and help make its faction wealthy. Aside from that mines are usually the only thing that makes a settlement notably more wealthy than a similar developped one.

The starting situation part is quite important because a settlement/region's wealth is not really linear. Theres a big spike in how much you can develop a settlement upon reaching the "City" level at 6000 households. However given how growth works as a % of current population and that the previous level (large Town) starts at 2000, so you have to triple the number, and it takes quite a lot to get a settlement that isnt a city at the start to that level (unless it starts close). Also the fact thet the level limits the development you can get a best 2,5% growth (with the appropaite temple) at that level even if all squalor is nullified (which requires quite a good governor). Even then it takes 45 turns to do that, in a very ideal situation still that most settlements wont have. I find large town the level where msot often I run out of thigns to build, almsot the only one to be honest though I rarelly play super long campaigns.

Carthage (the faction) happens to be a bit unique in that it has an alternative colonization system that actually helps with income, and the factional one not harming farming income (though also been less awesome troop wise). But other than that is a matter of what they happen to control at game start. The only thing that would make a faction better econmically would really be in how big of an area they can reach the most development in their settlements. KH probably has an advanatge here as they can build their highest goverment in many places, and also happen to start in a rich area which is very easy to control for them Public Order wise.

Im surprised nobody mentions Baktria. The faction itself does okay as they start in an hostile area public order wise, but their capital is very rich with just upgrading roads from the start.
    Last edited by Jervaj; November 02, 2019 at 12:53 PM.

We will either find a way, or make one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Macedonia can do a turn 1 "quickie" (admittedly, you gotta be really lucky to do it) by capturing Pella on turn 1 using a spy to open the gates, and repair the mines using their starting money.
    You don't even need luck. Take it by turn 2, then sell a couple of non-money-related buildings so you have the money needed to repair that mine.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

In my experience, the big money makers are the obvious major cities in and around the Mediterranean: Qart-Hadasht, Roma, Taras, Athenai, Rhodos, Pergamon, Alexandreia, Antiocheia, etc. However, you can get a decent amount of income if you build up infrastructure (or mines) in places like Syrakousai, Lilybaion, Massalia, Emporion, Pella, Korinthos, Ephesos, Halikarnassos, etc. Western Europe takes a very long time to develop, but already urbanized territories in West Asia, especially in and around the Fertile Crescent, are a safe bet, with Seleukeia, Babylon, Persepolis, Susa, etc. The southwestern portions of the Black Sea basin can generate some income, but areas beyond it are generally poorer as you get closer to the Pontic Steppe and the wily nomads with their disruptive raids.