Thread: Hows the battle experience with the AI?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hows the battle experience with the AI?

As someone who hasnt played this game or mod in literal years, and who is coming from Rome II, I wonder if people could post their battle experiences here and tell if the game feels challenging enough? how does fighting the AI feel? Do players have a reasonable chance at losing battles? Or are people simply playing for the cinematic feel of a battle because the AI is really braindead? I'd thank someone who plays/played rome II to give me their generl feel of how this mod compares to that game in terms of AI and battle challenges.

Default Re: Hows the battle experience with the AI?

I play with MadDoc's formations - only the formations and campaign map strategic changes, not the battle system, though that's probably good too. Works well with standard infantry based armies, AI can put up a good fight when not outnumbered. I found the base EB2 battle AI underwhelming.

This is with reference to hard battle difficulty. Morale is fairly low across the board, I think the AI really needs the bonuses or they rout too easily against generally stacked bonuses of the player. In general I would prefer less influence from generals and modifiers and more influence from troop quality.
    Last edited by Camcolit; October 19, 2019 at 12:00 PM.

One thing to note - you don't get z3n's BAI unless you're playing a battle from the campaign map. Custom Battles do not use our custom AI (which is part of the campaign_script).

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

While one would be right to accuse many mods of having crappy AI armies that are easy to defeat, EBII is not one of them. I always feel the AI trying to fight me desperately to win, even on regular old hard mode. The only thing I would criticize is that the AI doesn't seem to take the defense of city squares seriously enough when I have a larger besieging army that can outmaneuver forces that the AI bunches up and puts along the walls. That's especially the case when I bring artillery and knock down a section of the walls with Lithoboloi, charging half my army in while they are busy goofing around elsewhere and taking my ladders way more seriously.

Actually, on second thought, don't change any of that, I like outsmarting and besting the AI when it comes to that.