Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is the best Total War game?

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: What is the best Total War game?

Quote Originally Posted by FootSoldier View Post
    Shogun 2 has far and away the best game design, imho.

It balances complexity with playability. The armies, agents, trade, build strategy, and diplomacy all complement and fit each other. Realm divide carries the challenge deep into the game. The diplomacy is clear, logical and diabolical.

Later titles seem to add complexity for the sake of complexity. I did not enjoy managing the family/court intrigue in Atilla, for example.

That said, MTW2 is my favourite game because I like the period. Shogun 2 is 2nd. I've enjoyed most of the titles, and the early ones, S1 and MTW1 hold a special place for me. I bought them when they came out. In later titles there are things I like and things I don't. I'll get to RTW2 Remastered in time. Haven't looked at Three Kingdoms.
    Good thing you haven't looked at 3K, because it just died. 14 days after a sale they announce a "big news" post, saying that they're killing it off, not even patching current glitches, because they're amkign a new game set in the 3k Universe.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Shogun 2 and Medieval 2 are far the best total war games for me. Behind the top2 comes Rome 1+2. I had high hopes for Empire Total war, but it was broke as hell.

With all the mods available I'd have to say it's Medieval 2 and its large catalog. Perhaps Rome 2 or Attila will one day be able to receive the same love from the community and be as moddable, but until then there's no comparison.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytaninc View Post
    With all the mods available I'd have to say it's Medieval 2 and its large catalog. Perhaps Rome 2 or Attila will one day be able to receive the same love from the community and be as moddable, but until then there's no comparison.
    I've also had this hope but it has faded away. I think due to 1. lack of modability of the map, 2. player base dissipated across the other games, 3. publishers finding their way to monetize games more (DLCs), the moding around Rome2 and Attila is thriving as it was 10 years ago. So perhaps Med2 will remain the best TW game while Rome2 will trail behind.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    I've also had this hope but it has faded away. I think due to 1. lack of modability of the map, 2. player base dissipated across the other games, 3. publishers finding their way to monetize games more (DLCs), the moding around Rome2 and Attila is thriving as it was 10 years ago. So perhaps Med2 will remain the best TW game while Rome2 will trail behind.
    I think Attila TW is the platform to go for right now, in terms of modding, the Medieval 1212 mod is absolutely fabulous.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123