Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the best Total War game?

Default Re: What is the best Total War game?

1) Rome 2
    2) Medieval 2 Total War
    3) Empire Total War
    These are my favorite games from the Total War.

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

Hard to say, but my list:

1) M2TW - for longevity, modability, and the setting (and options that come with it)
    2) Shogun 2 - for the setting mostly, basicly a remake of the original total war, nostalgia a bit too
    3) Rome 2 - solid and fun game, and also i like the setting.

I havent played several of the newer titles because i wasnt interested in the setting for the most part.

Hi guys.. so I was quite active here years ago, and played a lot of Rome (the first one), and M2tw, empire.. I had so many mods installed, roma surrectum, europa barbarorum, rtr, spqr, paeninsula italica etc.. Those are some of my most cherished gaming memories
    than I kind of lost interest and didn't play for a long time.. which of the newer ones do you think is best? Fantasy is really not my thing, so more historical. Are there any good mods on par with those I mentioned before?

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Attila - 1212 mod is the beast, Ancient Empires seems dead in the water, Rise of Mordor seems also big thing (but Tolkien)
    Rome 2 - DeI
    Shogun 2 - The last alliance (but again Tolkien)
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Incendio View Post
    I have another question related with this thread: What would be the best Total War game for low end computers?
    I would say MTW is the easiest game to run as it doesn't requires much performance e.g RAM, CPU, Diskspace etc aside from the graphics of course.

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    That would be Medieval 2 or Rome 1, as a general rule - the older the game, the easier it is to run
    RTW yes it is, but remember MTW2 requires Microsoft .NET Framework and most people knows that CA uses for MTW2 Limited Edition was buggy.

I've also said it a couple of times before about MTW2 and what I am talking about are two things I cannot cope with is the messed up game time (I mentioned in my first post in this thread) even with mods and a memory bug (suddenly the player can lose a trait or worse an ancillary anytime for any general due to a mem bug) hence for not playing MTW2 for 1½ years after I bought it in 2005.

Also, here is my list of favorite TW games.

MTW (especially the Viking Invasion)
    RTW (especially the Barbarian Invasion)
    ETW (world map and of course the Road to Independence scenario - 3 chapter)
    NTW (automatic replenish system, Peninsula Campaign)
    Last edited by Leonardo; December 14, 2020 at 05:21 AM.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Medieval, Rome, Shogun 2, Empire.

Rome I for the feeling. Medieval II ofcourse...Empire for the worldly feeling, big map, the buildings on the map, good atmosphere, no AI unfortanately Shogun2 for graphics, new mechanics. After that it all went down the drain. So a combination of those four would be the best TW game ever. Unfortanately the programmers and designers think that they have to change the good stuff, like menu's, experiencesystem etc. too. So every new TW game gets worse in some way. Why change unitcards into cartoons ?? Why change the menusystem we all know and prefer in some dumb boxes like in Rome II. The makers just don't get it. If something is nice, don't change it!

Oh and ofcourse the stupid idea of removing the option of trading regions in the negotiations. Because historically that was the main reason to negotiate peace and the main part of the negotiation.

Difficult to make a list. But if I have to, playing hours tells all and myself modding the games for thousands of hours.
    Empire Total War
    Rome Total War (1)
    Shogun II (not fots/rots)
    Medieval Total War II (but others did all the modding here), maybe thatl's why. And they could have so much more with the whole catholic church thing...
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; May 18, 2022 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Double posting

St. Cyr's Avatar Biarchus

Which kid is my favorite ?!

Medieval 1 & 2 - have been, and will always be my favorites. I feel like this is the era that works best with the Total War concept. You have lots of interesting and very different factions vying with each other, you have a tumultuous time period in history that saw a great change over time in arms and armor. From basic leather armor, to full plate, to guns.

Shogun 2- probably the most balanced game because of the heterogenous nature of it being only Japan. Lots of fun and character, lots of polish, it just works.

Empire and Napoleon- I hated the idea way back when, I thought a gunpowder era game wouldn't be fun, and I was dead wrong about that. Would love to see an Empire 2 that improves on the flaws of the original.

Rome 1- high place of nostalgia. Can't wait for the remaster. I hated Rome 2, still doesn't capture the magic of the original

Campidoctor

There is no best or worst. All have their different strengths and weaknesses. But let's agree that Empire was really, really awkward.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Derc View Post
    There is no best or worst. All have their different strengths and weaknesses. But let's agree that Empire was really, really awkward.
    Last time I played it was in 2018, and it was as akward then as it was at launch
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

david88's Avatar Laetus

My most favorite war game is Napoleon Total War, total War is a turn-based strategy game with real-time elements and the sixth installment in the Total War series by the British game developer Creative Assembly.

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Been replaying RTW and M2TW ahead of next week's release. And also watching videos of the remaster. They were games I put a lot of time into back in the day and they still are very fun to play. They've got the right blend of management, strategy and arcadey feel, while also letting characters really express themselves - something lacking in later games. Rome and Medieval 2 take turns being numbers 1 and 2 in my book, depending on which I'm playing and how the campaign is going. Shogun 2 is third. It perfected a lot of old systems and design choices, though its lack of character building and similar playthroughs means it's not my favorite.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    Last time I played it was in 2018, and it was as akward then as it was at launch
    Rome 2 was just as... awkward. And a lot of people don't remember but so was Rome 1.

It took 4 Rome patches to sort it out. And the BI Expansion.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by OpusDei View Post
    Rome I for the feeling.
    I disagree, because MTW especially the Viking Invasion had much more feeling than RTW. Even if both MTW and RTW are my favorite TW games and the third place is a tie between ETW, NTW.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    I disagree, because MTW especially the Viking Invasion had much more feeling than RTW. Even if both MTW and RTW are my favorite TW games and the third place is a tie between ETW, NTW.
    I agree the feelong that Shogun I and MTW 1 are beyond any other TW games. Despite the limitations on 3d maps the games had unique features that never apeared again.
    Despite that my favorite game is M2TW/Kingdoms no matter the lack of crusial feature that missing comparing to Rome I (like multiple siege armies, ofter ambushes etc).
    The reason is that M2TW proved more versotile in modding in such degree that it can still suport graphics FHD without any game interfearence.
    The variety of models in the same units comparing to "cloned" ones of RTW is another factor.
    In TGC i have a unit 13k poly with
    5 bodies,
    5 helmets,
    5 heads,
    4 legs,
    4 maces,
    2 lances.
    4 sword scabbards
    5 shields
    and the unit uses 6 horse bodies with 5 horse armors. Can you count the possible combinations.
    Also M2TW has more "natural"animations than any other TW game (i haven't play Warhammers or Three Kingdoms and Troy to be fair though). The only negative issue is the horses.
    SEGA has a negative tradition modeling horses.
    The next favorite game is Shogun II (despite the fact that Shogun I features are missing like the abbasador's video but my heart pains when i see exelent created human bodies of all units and those cow shaping horses.
    AND I LOVE HORSES.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

First titles have the unique feature of setting the tone for anything after. An overhaul that can't build on what came before is almost guaranteed to miss certain features and charms of older titles, and this hasn't been more true since the day Rome 1 and then Medieval 2 came to exist. The rest is history of course. Some titles add things that are vaguely brilliant, only for them to be never captured again in favor of new toys and blowing out the old appeals. I think Shogun to Shogun 1 is the only objective expansion in every way to the prior game. Even say, Empire to Napoleon came at a complete cost to campaign scale and new design choices of debatable merit.

Rome 1 and then Medieval 2.
    I don't like Shogun and I hate Empire and Napoleon.
    I'm also not interested in spin-offs so currently I have no opinion about Attila, Troy, Thrones of Britannia etc.

Shogun 2 has far and away the best game design, imho.

It balances complexity with playability. The armies, agents, trade, build strategy, and diplomacy all complement and fit each other. Realm divide carries the challenge deep into the game. The diplomacy is clear, logical and diabolical.

Later titles seem to add complexity for the sake of complexity. I did not enjoy managing the family/court intrigue in Atilla, for example.

That said, MTW2 is my favourite game because I like the period. Shogun 2 is 2nd. I've enjoyed most of the titles, and the early ones, S1 and MTW1 hold a special place for me. I bought them when they came out. In later titles there are things I like and things I don't. I'll get to RTW2 Remastered in time. Haven't looked at Three Kingdoms.
    "War is an extension of diplomacy, but by other means." Karl von Clausewitz

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FootSoldier View Post
    Shogun 2 has far and away the best game design, imho.

It balances complexity with playability. The armies, agents, trade, build strategy, and diplomacy all complement and fit each other. Realm divide carries the challenge deep into the game. The diplomacy is clear, logical and diabolical.

Later titles seem to add complexity for the sake of complexity. I did not enjoy managing the family/court intrigue in Atilla, for example.

That said, MTW2 is my favourite game because I like the period. Shogun 2 is 2nd. I've enjoyed most of the titles, and the early ones, S1 and MTW1 hold a special place for me. I bought them when they came out. In later titles there are things I like and things I don't. I'll get to RTW2 Remastered in time. Haven't looked at Three Kingdoms.
    Good thing you haven't looked at 3K, because it just died. 14 days after a sale they announce a "big news" post, saying that they're killing it off, not even patching current glitches, because they're amkign a new game set in the 3k Universe.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Shogun 2 and Medieval 2 are far the best total war games for me. Behind the top2 comes Rome 1+2. I had high hopes for Empire Total war, but it was broke as hell.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast