Thread: Crash after hit "Play" button in launcher / nothing happen

Default Crash after hit "Play" button in launcher / nothing happen

I spend hours and hours to solve it, without result.
    My Problem is the same as reported by the most of the other users before.
    One day to another Total War Britannia wont launch, when I click in the Steam the "Play" button; for a short time a "Running" -mark is visible nearby the game title in the list and then NOTHING happen.

Methods I tried:
    - DirectX reinstall, (no change)
    - All vcredist removed and designated (2013, 2015, 2017) installed, (no change)
    - launch in DX9 (...) - in the pref.txt file I selected the number 1 (instead of 0) - so the DX9D (instead od DX11), (no change)
    - reinstall the game, (no change)
    - reinstall the Steam (including all of my steam connected games...), (no change)
    - disable antivirus / firewall, (no change)
    - tried all other launchers from the game properties, (no change)
    - language "solution", (no change)
    - there is no "background app." running
    - Verify integrity of game files
    - Update graphics driver and sound driver (and retrive back to a previous) (no change)
    - no mods are installed
    - Rename folder solution
    - Delete fx cache solution (no change)
    - Run game as Administrator (no change)

My Config:
    Windows 10 b4bit, CoreI5, GTX970, 16GB Ram, ASUS Sound STRIX - all of them are with the lates WHQL drivers (and latest BIOS).
    Game:
    Build Number: 1.3 (I cant find the detailed number outside the game - but I'm sure the latest)
    Please, help me, and lets figure out what are the sources of our problem - I'm not alone with it, and I dont want to get rid off my favorite game.

Regards:
    Adam

PS.: In the recent days, I hadn't gave up my attemption to launch the program, and I get an intresting perception that might be useful: if I set the "gfx_device_type" in the preferences.txt to value "2" (GL3), the program crashing not directly after when I hit the Play button but the initial loading screen came up and after a few second I'm dropped out to the Desktop.
    In Total War: Rome II this solution is working proper (set device type "0" that is DX9 in the pref.txt - but at least work....)

Default Re: Crash after hit "Play" button in launcher / nothing happen

Anybody? : )

zzzms's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Crash after hit "Play" button in launcher / nothing happen

I have a similar crash on start up, I cannot find a fix for it. Apparently, it is due to a Microsoft update which CA hasn't patched. There is a work around, when you launch the game and get to the initial loading screen - the one that says Thrones Of Britannia that comes before the Sega logo - hit Alt+Tab and return to desktop, wait a few seconds then click on the Thrones icon on your taskbar. It doesn't always work, but I get about 90% success rate.

I, also, came across someone who claimed to fix this problem by setting their desktop resolution to 1080P, starting the game, setting the resolution in game to the 1080P, then quitting, setting desktop resolution back to 4k and all worked fine...this didn't work for me, altho' the game started fine when I set my resolution to 1080P - I run at 1440P.

Hope this helps!

The most certain test by which we judge whether a country is really free is the amount of security enjoyed by minorities.~John Acton, [1877].

"...the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; those who are in the shadows of life; the sick, the needy and the handicapped. " ~ Hubert H. Humphrey

"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Ghandi