Thread: Archaeologists uncover more than 20 sealed coffins...

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Default Archaeologists uncover more than 20 sealed coffins...

...at the Theban necropolis of Asasif, on the River Nile's west bank.

Egypt uncovers 'huge cache' of ancient sealed coffins - CNN Style
    ...They were in two layers, with the ones on top across those below.
    The statement described the find as "one of the largest and most important discoveries to have been announced in the past few years."

A question for our Egyptologists. How relevant is this discovery?
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Default Re: Archaeologists uncover more than 20 sealed coffins...

We know precious little about ancient people lower on the social ladder. Usually we know more about one petty king than about all those thousands of his subjects. That's why this is so important. From the style of burial, stacked like this, those are most likely not members or close companions of royal family, or important nobles. Most likely, those are clergy, palace clerks, army officers or government officials, maybe minor nobles. This find provides important window to their lives and burial rites.

Discoveries like this can give insight into what these people are, how they lived, what diseases they suffered from. Diseases thought to be produxt of more recent times have in fact proven to be more ancient than we thought. Perhaps we wi discover that like us, many of these people suffered from diabetes and obesity.

Or perhaps we could discover trade goods from far away places like India, indicating that ancient trade was more extensive than we thought. The more we learn boutt thr past, the more it can help us understand ourselves and how we can to be.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Damn I'd been wondering where I'd left those. Hopefully the archaeologists will give em back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    Discoveries like this can give insight into... what diseases they suffered from.
    So what you're saying is once we open these coffins, we're gonna unleash the the 10 Plagues of Egypt upon the world? Or is it more of a The Mummy situation?

The style looks New Kingdom rather than later to me, but I could be wrong considering Ancient Egypt's artist conservatism. There should be more information available on Saturday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Those coffins look huge! Fascinating find. Thanks for sharing!