Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Patronus Award

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Patronus Award

I believe we have reach a time when such award could be beneficial to the site.

Patronus Award

There will be three levels.
    Bronze: 5
    Silver: 10
    Gold: 20

The award should be given retroactively to members no longer active as well. This will serve to promote the award by increasing visibility.
    The vast majority of citizen patronage less than 5 members so is a reachable number that should be a incentive to pursue more members. the number between 10-19 is still a fair amount but relatively a small group. 20 or more is a rarity.
    A system of a small, medium and large award could be given but still color codded.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Patronus Award

There's really nothing wrong with this, but I do find the overwhelming emphasis on patronage without other factors in consideration to be a bit narrow.

Support.

The current system for vetting citizenship applications should disincentivize rent-seeking patrons. If this Award convinces people to start putting forth candidates at a higher rate, then it’s well worth any potential downsides in my opinion.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Can I get platinum? I'm doing my best to be patronising to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Support. I agree that patronizing is a far more important process and should get more attention, particularly with the falling board activity rates. Lets give it a try.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Opposed. I can't see the benefit of this. Awards (all departments involved) have proved for a while already that this is not the right way to generate acitivity. I doubt that it would increase the number of patronizations in a way or the other.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

As the Award Hexer I'd like to see this becoming something, but as a regular Citizen I share the same doubts as Lifth.. so for the moment I'll abstain
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

It is not possible to offer guarantees. Its ironic when this was first proposed it was opposed because people feared that the CdeC would be inundated with too many applications. The purpose of offering "awards" is to promote activity. This proposal would work better if the Board of citizens proposal is passed. it would serve as additional incentive for citizens to patronize on their own. Personally, I intend to ask anyone I approach if they would be willing to "pay it forward" as that is an important duty of any citizen to do so. If someone has taken the time to patronize 5 members, they have really done more than their share and deserve recognition for it.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

If someone has taken the time to patronize 5 members, they have really done more than their share and deserve recognition for it.
    I very much agree with that, my only real concern remains that this will only be a retroactive award, since I personally doubt it will stimulate new patronizing, for the reasons many outlined above
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

I did note that it is the Board of Citizens that will be needed to reignite the system. The Patronus Award is really design to work with that proposal. There isn't anything you can do that will motivate most citizens to invest the time to patronize anyone on a site that is effectively dying. The only reason why this is a separate proposal so that the merits of it can be discuss and decided upon. It may motivate someone, then again it may not in the short term. In the long term, provided we can reignite the system, it will motivate people.

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Was opposed when Mega proposed it way back when, oppose it for the same reason now. Cheapens citizenship and turns it into a numbers game. I'm all for shinies and medals, but that should never be our motivation to patronise. I would be devastated as a non-Citizen if the only reason someone deigned to patronise me was because they wanted a medal for themselves. And as I said before, if people don't want to patronise, we should deal with the reason(s) why, not try to plaster over underlying issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitai de Bodemloze View Post
    Was opposed when Mega proposed it way back when, oppose it for the same reason now. Cheapens citizenship and turns it into a numbers game. I'm all for shinies and medals, but that should never be our motivation to patronise. I would be devastated as a non-Citizen if the only reason someone deigned to patronise me was because they wanted a medal for themselves. And as I said before, if people don't want to patronise, we should deal with the reason(s) why, not try to plaster over underlying issues.
    Candidates for citizenship would still be voted on in the usual way, correct? I don’t see how recognizing people specifically for prolific patronage would cheapen the process. If an award convinces people to go to the effort of seeking out and proposing new candidates for citizenship, who really cares what their initial motivation was? If someone really tries to spam unworthy candidates just to get the award, the candidates would be voted down. If the award fails to generate more candidates, no one will get the award, except retroactively, which is also fine.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Blog Entries

The curia has a very short memory. Didn't PikeStance receive his Curial Service Award especially for his amount of patronizations? What's the point of this proposal then?
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Complete waste of time, another empty award for medal collectors that does nothing but cheapen all awards at the expense of those who walked these halls in the past. Can we not put a halt to the desecration of the curia's legacy, hasn't enough damage already been done...

Out of, waning, curiosity. Was the 'not applied retroactively' clause removed from the constitution?. Been a long time since I checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica View Post
    Candidates for citizenship would still be voted on in the usual way, correct? I don’t see how recognizing people specifically for prolific patronage would cheapen the process. If an award convinces people to go to the effort of seeking out and proposing new candidates for citizenship, who really cares what their initial motivation was? If someone really tries to spam unworthy candidates just to get the award, the candidates would be voted down. If the award fails to generate more candidates, no one will get the award, except retroactively, which is also fine.
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    The curia has a very short memory. Didn't PikeStance receive his Curial Service Award especially for his amount of patronizations? What's the point of this proposal then?
    In Settra's proposal it was only part of the rationale.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Complete waste of time, another empty award for medal collectors that does nothing but cheapen all awards at the expense of those who walked these halls in the past. Can we not put a halt to the desecration of the curia's legacy, hasn't enough damage already been done...

Out of, waning, curiosity. Was the 'not applied retroactively' clause removed from the constitution?. Been a long time since I checked.
    When mega proposed it was not an issue. Plus it gives the award more visibility.
    Plus if awards cheapens what we are rewarding a person for, then why do we do it for anything?
    The Curia is effectively dead; it has a legacy of elitism and infighting. It is up to us to honor the original intent and restore it so that it will have a positive enduring status. The Curia is like the family home that has gone down in flames and we are all just sitting around wondering what to do or passively looking at the burning debris.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    The Curia is effectively dead; it has a legacy of elitism and infighting. It is up to us to honor the original intent and restore it so that it will have a positive enduring status. The Curia is like the family home that has gone down in flames and we are all just sitting around wondering what to do or passively looking at the burning debris.
    At that level, I think it's called therapeutic obstinacy. I share Hitai concerns and, for once, I'm fully in line with Halie here.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; October 23, 2019 at 01:05 AM.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    When mega proposed it was not an issue. Plus it gives the award more visibility.
    Plus if awards cheapens what we are rewarding a person for, then why do we do it for anything?
    There was elitism and infighting, as with any social group. Those conflicts werethe fabric of the curia. That's one perspective, many of us remember them as golden ages of the curia, the revolts, Ian's take over, Garb's age of enlightenment. Great things happened here, perhaps you missed the best of them, that doesn't give anyone the right to brush over the past with negative propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    There was elitism and infighting, as with any social group. Those conflicts werethe fabric of the curia. That's one perspective, many of us remember them as golden ages of the curia, the revolts, Ian's take over, Garb's age of enlightenment. Great things happened here, perhaps you missed the best of them, that doesn't give anyone the right to brush over the past with negative propaganda.
    There is no negative propaganda. I have a great deal of the discussions and history of the site and I am well aware of the issues that has flamed the membership, but this is not the issue. Citizenship was far more open and far less exclusive than it was in the early years. BTW, I joined, it was exclusive and has earned an infamous reputation. However, we can change the perception and create a new Curia, one that is lively, but more inclusive than before.

La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham's Avatar Artifex♔Duffer♔Civitate
    Patrician Citizen

The Den,with a massive pair of binoculars, surveying TWC, ensuring members are laughing & happy!

I would rather like to see a award for exceptional Dufferism,given to those who have remain true to Tenets of the Society over the years, oh! hold on that would most probably be me!

I cant see much benefit, in a patronus award really, for the reasons Halie and Lifth mentioned, and it seems a little self serving too, like my Duffer award eh?

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained Dufferism"

All awards are self-serving. All awards are extrinsic motivational tools.
    There isn't negative effect to having the award. It will either collect dust or work. That being said, passing this proposal without the Board of Citizens proposal would be a waste of time; there just any interest for citizenship or no interest in patronizing. We need to get the engine started again. Once started, we will need something to motivate citizens to patronize members themselves rather than the community relying on Board of citizens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast