Thread: FAQ's for The Elder Scrolls Anthology

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Default FAQ's for The Elder Scrolls Anthology

Originally posted by Gstaff at the old BSF

Quote Originally Posted by Gstaff
    This week (tomorrow in North America, Friday for the rest of the world) we're releasing The Elder Scrolls Anthology box set. To help answer questions, here's some general & support FAQs.

General Information

What versions of the games are included with Anthology?

The Elder Scrolls Anthology is the same content you would get if you purchased the boxed version of each game.
    Arena and Daggerfall include a pre-configured version of DosBox that gets installed during installation and allows you to play on modern machines.
    Morrowind GOTY and Oblivion GOTY are based on the retail versions of the game, which do not require Steam activation. For Oblivion, this means that the disc version of the game does not include the smaller add-ons (Horse Armor, Fighter’s Stronghold, Mehrunes’ Razor, etc)… more on that below.
    For Skyrim, the disc is based on the Legendary release of the game, which requires Steam activation.

As a bonus, the included Steam key will activate Steam versions of Morrowind GOTY and Oblivion GOTY Deluxe. Like the disc release of Oblivion, the deluxe versions include the main game, Knights of the Nine, and Shivering Isles, but it also adds English versions of the Wizard’s Tower, Fighter’s Stronghold, Orrery, Thives’ Den, The Vile Lair, Mehrunes’ Razor, and Horse Armor. These add-ons are not compatible with the disc version of the game, so you will need to use the Steam version to access them.

Where can I find more support information for the titles included in The Elder Scrolls Anthology?

Visit http://support.bethsoft.com. You can find support for The Elder Scrolls Anthology and additional support for each individual title: Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, Daggerfall, and Arena at support.bethsoft.com.

DOSBox Functionality

Arena and Daggerfall both rely on the 3rd party application DOSBox.

Useful Resources:

The official DOSBox site: http://www.dosbox.com/
    The official DOSBox wiki: http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Main_Page

Does DOSBox need to be installed separately?

No, DOSBox is installed when Arena and Daggerfall are installed.

Does DOSBox need to be started prior to running Daggerfall or Arena?

No, you may start either Arena or Daggerfall as you would start any other Windows program – through the start menu, or if necessary, with batch files that were installed with the game itself in the game directories.

Does DOSBox need to be configured prior to running Dagger or Arena?

Arena and Daggerfall are both installed with a default DOSBox configuration that will work with the majority of hardware setups.

How do I change DOSBox’s configuration if I want/need to for Arena or Daggerfall?

In order to modify a DOSBox config for either of these titles, you will need to use a basic text editing program (such as Notepad, which is supplied with Windows) and open up the respective configuration file, these are “df.conf” for Daggerfall, and “arena.conf” for Arena. By default, these configuration files are located in the “DOSBox-0.74” subdirectory in the location where the title has been installed.

What can I do if I am experiencing a variety of audio or visual problems?

If there are visual/audio/stability issues with either title, the two settings below are most commonly the culprit and may be modified to improve the situation:
    Under [cpu], set cycles to cycles=max limit 50000
    You should not exceed a setting of 50000 for cycles as it is known to cause a variety of issues in-game
    Under [DOSBox], set memsize to memsize=63
    With some hardware configurations, the title may have visual issues when run in fullscreen mode on a system with multiple monitors. If this occurs, you should instead run the game in Windowed mode.

Does DOSBox need to be re-configured if I switch between Arena and Daggerfall?

No, each game’s configuration files are separate and each instance of DOSBox is unique for each title.

The Elder Scrolls – Arena

How do I install Arena?

Two batch files are provided for launching the game in DOSBox. One is for running full screen, the other for running windowed. By default these files are located here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Arena\Arena (Full Screen).bat

C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Arena\Arena (Windowed).bat

NOTE: The installer also places shortcuts for both of these in the Start menu, when possible.

How do I uninstall Arena?

Uninstalling doesn’t remove Arena save files or directories associated with them. To remove them along with other Arena related files, the following Arena directories and all of their contents can be deleted (be careful that there are no other files stored in these directories that you want to keep before deleting them):

C:\Users\< USER_NAME >\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Arena
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Arena

How do I access Save Games for Arena?

Save Game data files for Arena are located in one of two locations, depending on whether DOSBox is configured to run as an administrator or not. Each Save Game consists of 13 or more loose data files, and all saves are stored in the same folder – these files are differentiated by their file extension correlating to the in-game save slot the Save Game inhabits (For example, the first save slot will all have extensions of “.00” and the tenth slot will all have extensions of “.09”).

By default the game is not run as an administrator, and the Save Games are located here:
    C:\Users\<USER_NAME>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Arena\ARENA
    Some of the folders in the directory path may be marked as hidden on various systems and you may have to set your systems to show hidden files and folders in order to navigate to them.
    How to show hidden folders/files on some windows systems: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...w-hidden-files
    If DOSBox is configured to run as an administrator, then the Save Games are located here:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Arena\ARENA
    Note: If you change whether DOSBox runs as an administrator or not, this changes where the game will look for Save Games. As such, saves will not show up in game if it is looking for Save Game data files in a different location. We recommend you stick to one configuration or the other to avoid misplaced Game Saves.

My game crashes on boot when selecting “Run as administrator” on the provided batch files.

The batch files “Arena (Full Screen).bat” and “Arena (Windowed).bat” should not be run as an administrator. If you wish to run with administrator privileges, change permissions on DOSBox (see note under “Save Game Data Files” in how this could affect user save games).

My game reverts to windowed mode after minimizing the game, and parts of the viewable window stop rendering correctly.

Minimizing the game is known to cause issues with the display mode and the renderer. You must exit and reboot the game in order to correct this. It is strongly advised that you do not use Alt+Tab or otherwise minimize the game while running.

Running in full screen mode with multiple monitors may cause various resolution problems. How do I fix this?

If you encounter issues running full screen with multiple monitors, you should disable all but the primary monitor in order to play full screen, or alternately play in Windowed mode instead.

The game is asking me for the cost of a spell when I try to leave the first dungeon. Why?

This is part of the original game’s copy protection – if you look at the manual PDF on the game disc, or the README.txt located in your game install directory (also accessible through the Start Menu), the answer required for the copy protection is available. The README.txt contains a simple list of the potential questions and answers, for more convenience. This same README.txt is opened after successful installation as well.

The Elder Scrolls – Daggerfall

How do I access Save Games for Daggerfall?

Daggerfall supports up to six saved games where each saved game is stored in an individual data folder. The save game data folders are located in one of two locations, depending on whether the DOSBox.exe associated with Daggerfall is configured to run as an administrator or not. Regardless of where the folders are located, however, the save game data folders always have the same names: Save0, Save1, Save2, Save3, Save4, and Save5.

By default the DosBox is not set to run as an administrator and the save game data folders are located here:
    C:\Users\<User_Name>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\daggerfall\DF\DAGGER”. Where <User_Name> must be replaced by your login name.

Note: Some of the folders in the directory path may be marked as hidden on various systems and users may have to set your systems to show hidden files and folders in order to navigate to them. In particular the AppData directory is often hidden.
    How to show hidden folders/files on some windows systems: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...w-hidden-files
    Alternatively, if DOSBox is configured to run as an administrator, then the save games data folders will be located here, assuming Daggerfall was installed to the default directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\daggerfall\DF\DAGGER

Note: If you change whether DOSBox runs as an administrator or not, this changes where the game will look for Save Games. As such, saves will not show up in game if it is looking for Save Game data files in a different location. We recommend you stick to one configuration or the other to avoid misplaced Game Saves.
    For reference, by default the DosBox.exe that is associated with Daggerfall is installed to the following location: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\daggerfall\DOSBox-0.74\DosBox.exe

How do I install Daggerfall?

Two batch files are provided for launching the game in DOSBox. One is for running full screen, the other for running windowed. By default these files are located here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\daggerfall\Daggerfall (Full Screen).bat
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\daggerfall\Daggerfall (Windowed).bat

The installer also places shortcuts for both of these in the Start menu, when possible.

How do I uninstall Daggerfall?

Uninstalling doesn’t remove Daggerfall save files or directories associated with them. To remove them along with other Daggerfall related files the following Daggerfall directories and all of their contents can be deleted (be careful that there are no other files stored in these directories that you want to keep before deleting them):

C:\Users\<User_Name>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\daggerfall
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\daggerfall

The game crashes when attempting to load an empty save. Why?

Do not try to load an empty save.

My game reverts to windowed mode after minimizing the game, and parts of the viewable window stop rendering correctly.

Minimizing the game is known to cause issues with the display mode and the renderer. You must exit and reboot the game in order to correct this. It is strongly advised that you do not use Alt+Tab or otherwise minimize the game while running.

Running in full screen mode with multiple monitors may cause various resolution problems. How do I fix this?

If you encounter issues running full screen with multiple monitors, you should disable all but the primary monitor in order to play full screen, or alternately play in Windowed mode instead.

The Elder Scrolls – Morrowind

How do I install Morrowind?

As mentioned above, the base game is contained on two discs. Disc One contains the original Morrowind game patched up to version 1.2.0722 and the Construction Set version 1.20. Disc Two contains loose data files that the Construction Set needs in order to fully function. The Anthology is also packaged with the two official Morrowind expansions, each on their own disc – “Tribunal”, and “Bloodmoon”. Due to eccentricities with the original installers, there is a recommended install order, and some potential complications (and resolutions) below if this install order is not followed.

The base Morrowind game (Disc One) should be installed first and foremost
    The “Tribunal” Expansion, if desired, should be installed second
    Finally, the “Bloodmoon” Expansion, if desired, should be installed last

I’m having issues installing? Why?

There are two common issues that occur, post-installation. These may be caused by your particular Windows configuration, or the install order. Diagnosis and resolution of these issues tends to be fairly simple:

“Failed to load snowflake: Meshes/BM_snow_01.nif” – The title in this case is failing to load a data file from the Bloodmoon expansion. You are advised to first try reinstalling the Bloodmoon expansion from the original disc. If this does not resolve the situation, try manually copying the contents of the “Data Files” folder from the disc into your “Data Files” folder in their Morrowind installation directory. By default, this will be “C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind\”.
    “chunk” errors – these are a large class of errors that refer to “chunk size”, or “too big in chunk”, etc. These errors will mention Weather Chances and other odd terms. These are all caused by installing the expansions in the incorrect order and can generally be resolved by installing them once again in the correct order (base game -> Tribunal -> Bloodmoon).
    “Failed to load cursor: Meshes\cursor.nif” – These can occur depending on your Windows’ user rights and security settings. If this occurs, you should try deleting the “morrowind.ini” in your game folder, and running the “setup” located in that same folder to generate a new configuration file . If this doesn’t work, uninstall the game and try installing in a new custom location that is not in the \Program Files\ directory.

Uninstalling Morrowind:

Uninstalling doesn’t remove Morrowind save files or the directories associated with them. To remove them along with other Morrowind related files the following directories and all of their contents may need to be deleted (be careful that there are no other files stored in these directory’s that you want to keep before deleting them):

C:\Users\<User_Name>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind

Note: When un-installing Morrowind the Construction Set is not un-installed. It must be un-installed separately.

How do I access game saves for Morrowind?

Each Morrowind save is a single file with an “.ess” file extension. These save game files are located in one of two locations, depending on whether Morrowind.exe or Morrowind Launcher.exe is run as an administrator or not.

By default neither Morrowind executable is not set to run as an administrator and as such the save game files are located here:
    “C:\Users\<User_Name>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind\Saves”. Where <User_Name> must be replaced by your login name.
    Note: Some of the folders in the directory path may be marked as hidden on various systems and you may have to set your system to show hidden files and folders in order to navigate to them. In particular the Update directory is often hidden.
    Alternatively, if either Morrowind executable is run as an administrator, then the save game files will be located here, assuming Morrowind was installed to the default directory:
    “C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind\Saves”

Note: If you change whether Morrowind runs as an administrator or not, this changes where the game will look for saves. As such, saves will not show up in game if it is looking for Save Game files in a different location. It is suggested that you stick to one configuration or the other to avoid misplaced save files.

How do I run Morrowind?

After installing Morrowind, your must have Disc One inserted into your system’s optical drive in order to launch the game. With the disc inserted, you should be able to launch the game either by using a shortcut that is placed on the desktop during installation or by navigating to the directory where Morrowind was installed and running either “Morrowind.exe” or “Morrowind Launcher.exe”. For reference the default installation directory for Morrowind is: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind”.

My game looks “stretched” or “smushed”? Why?

The video resolution options are designed for monitors with a 4:3 aspect ratio. If 4:3 is not the native aspect ratio for your monitor then setting the monitor’s aspect ratio to 4:3 may be preferred. The ability to do this may not be supported by all monitors. Alternately, you can try playing the game in Windowed mode instead.

There is a noticeable amount of screen tearing while playing the game.

This may be fixed by adjusting the V-Sync settings for the video card. There is no in-game option to do this so if wish to work around it, you will need to find out if your video card supports V-Sync adjustments.

In a multiple monitor setup Morrowind won’t display on the monitor I want, or doesn’t look/run properly. How do I adjust this?

If running with more than one monitor, the Options Menu that appears on the Morrowind Launch screen may offer more than one Graphics Adapter. Changing the Adapter option may change which screen the game is displayed on when running in Full Screen mode. If there are other visual issues when running with multiple monitors, try running in Windowed mode instead.

The game crashes when the computer goes to sleep, the screen is locked, or “ctrl+alt+del” is pressed.

It is recommended that you avoid these actions if possible as they are known to crash the game.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; February 26, 2021 at 01:15 PM. Reason: 1st link updated
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.