Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: Seriously... What's wrong with film critics?!

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Default Re: Seriously... What's wrong with film critics?!

When they're stooping so low as to fake evidence, it's certainly not a valid viewpoint.
    All that hate- & fearmongering in order to push an ideology and to stuff her own wallet. So yeah, you're spot on in comparing the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

When they're stooping so low as to fake evidence, it's certainly not a valid viewpoint.
    All that hate- & fearmongering in order to push an ideology and to stuff her own wallet. So yeah, you're spot on in comparing the two.
    Not at all. Criticism of society is not the same as fear-mongering. I have no issue with most feminists, even the outspoken ones. "Feminazis" exist, but they're not so common as to warrant the toxicity with which feminism is treated.

Citizen

Sargon too criticises society. If it has no actual basis and the target is deliberately misrepresented, then there's no validity to it.
    And yeah there's been plenty of fearmongering from her and her following.

But most importantly, and you'll probably ignore this again for obvious reasons: She's a fraud. She never delivered what she raised money for, she burned through insane amounts of money (probably by spending most of it on herself), and the 35k or so she wanted for a Discordserver which is free speak for themselves. She's hustling her fanbase, promoting censorship and extorting the industry.

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie

Sargon too criticises society. If it has no actual basis and the target is deliberately misrepresented, then there's no validity to it.
    And yeah there's been plenty of fearmongering from her and her following.
    I don't consider Sargon's inability to comprehend statistics or lack of basic reading skills, which he then uses to justify anti-immigrant and anti-feminist spiels to be criticism.

What fearmongering?

But most importantly, and you'll probably ignore this again for obvious reasons: She's a fraud. She never delivered what she raised money for, she burned through insane amounts of money (probably by spending most of it on herself), and the 35k or so she wanted for a Discordserver which is free speak for themselves. She's hustling her fanbase, promoting censorship and extorting the industry.
    Why don't you source this for us?

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

I can accept people like Markiplier getting famous and living off youtube (and I suppose he does others things now too), but Sark, Sarg, Pewd and such... are just neither intelligent nor decent (as in someone you see as basically well-meaning).
    Anyway, since they can do it, good for them, but it is a sign of how decadent things are.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Citizen

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/1...805248?lang=en

Where's that Discord server now, sukiyama?

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/1...805248?lang=en

Where's that Discord server now, sukiyama?
    Didn't know about this and this does seem really scummy. However, I simply can't find any credible information on the event in question. I'll take your word for it, but if this was the real issue, then you simply should've said so from the beginning.

Citizen

Or where's that video series she raised truly astronomical amounts of money for and never delivered on?

Never mind that there's a difference between having an opinion you actually believe in and purposefully faking evidence to peddle a lie, as she for example did in that Hitman example.

I've been abundantly clear that it's this lack of honesty that's also at the heart of my gripe with e.g. Star Wars. Two seconds of a gay kiss and everyone loses their mind over how "brave" it was. And yet it's conveniently put at a place and made in a way that cutting it out isn't noticeable. And then people are willing to fight others to the death because they don't know the difference between criticism of intent+execution and the message itself.

Nudging the thread further back to what it was about instead of talking about long dead gamergate, you can see plenty of examples of fearmongering for e.g. Joker, where plenty of critics claimed it would inspire "would-be-killers". It's just as unreasonable and debunkable claim as saying that playing video games leads to violence (they only do so when children are tricked into thinking the army is 'cool' and they should join it).

https://nypost.com/2019/09/24/its-re...ld-be-killers/
    https://medium.com/@tanyaantony13/wh...s-b897356de172

There are plenty of examples of signalling over substance causing significant damage outside of culture as well, but callout+cancel culture are destroying art to a degree unmatched by most other aspects of life.

Or where's that video series she raised truly astronomical amounts of money for and never delivered on?

Never mind that there's a difference between having an opinion you actually believe in and purposefully faking evidence to peddle a lie, as she for example did in that Hitman example.
    I'll agree on the scamming, but again, I have no issue with any of her content. At worst, it's obnoxious.

I've been abundantly clear that it's this lack of honesty that's also at the heart of my gripe with e.g. Star Wars. Two seconds of a gay kiss and everyone loses their mind over how "brave" it was. And yet it's conveniently put at a place and made in a way that cutting it out isn't noticeable. And then people are willing to fight others to the death because they don't know the difference between criticism of intent+execution and the message itself.
    The only people fighting over it, are those obsessed with it. If you're expecting some kind of an approving nod from me because you're annoyed with a single frame of a film, you're going to be waiting for a long time. I don't care, and while I would put something like that on my list of "cons" when judging a film, I'm more concerned with the quality of the film holistically.

Nudging the thread further back to what it was about instead of talking about long dead gamergate, you can see plenty of examples of fearmongering for e.g. Joker, where plenty of critics claimed it would inspire "would-be-killers". It's just as unreasonable and debunkable claim as saying that playing video games leads to violence (they only do so when children are tricked into thinking the army is 'cool' and they should join it).
    As I showed numerous times, the many of the critics only addressed it because people wouldn't stop talking about it. Quite frankly, there were a ton of reasons to dislike the film. Joaquin Phoenix's acting wasn't good enough to make up for the fairly mediocre script. I'd give the film a 6-7/10. The same score I'd give Witcher and Annihilation.

There are plenty of examples of signalling over substance causing significant damage outside of culture as well, but callout+cancel culture are destroying art to a degree unmatched by most other aspects of life.
    Having plenty of examples doesn't mean it's a serious problem. There are plenty of examples incels doing horrible, things. That doesn't mean I think they are a major security threat or that we should have a national policy about them. The same is true of the "radical left" that everyone keeps talking about. The vast majority of people don't care and aren't bothered by it. And if you're so bothered by "leftist" reviews, then stop reading them. I've already referenced reviews that focused on judging The Joker objectively, earlier in this thread.

Citizen

I'm not expecting an approving nod from you. Don't worry.

But just to clarify: You don't see callingout culture, cancel culture, etc. as a problem?
    You really gonna suggest these twatters haven't had an impact?

I'm not expecting an approving nod from you. Don't worry.

But just to clarify: You don't see callingout culture, cancel culture, etc. as a problem?
    You really gonna suggest these twatters haven't had an impact?
    The blame lies with Disney execs, not keyboard warriors.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112