Thread: Seriously... What's wrong with film critics?!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Icon5 Seriously... What's wrong with film critics?!

Two screens I made and cropped just now. If you switch from "All critics" to "Top critics", the approval rate of Joker goes down to 44% and that of the last Jedi goes up to 95%!

I went to watch the Joker movie yesterday with extremely low expectations. I don't like superhero movies, the first two Nolan-Batman movies being the exception. But still. I went there to see what all the fuzz was about.

All the incel hysteria etc. had ZERO to do with the movie. ZERO. The movie does not make any easily discernable political statements.
    Are the rich the evil or the mob? Meh, doesn't really matter. The Joker doesn't care.

The only statement I'd say is overt in this movie, is that everyone's being an these days, that an amalgamation of certain factors can lead to terrible things. The Joker himself asks for more civility on air. But this message doesn't really take much space, and it's only controversial to people who have this retarded understanding of those crazy shooters being simply evil after watching the wrong movies and obviously playing Computer games.

Anyway... I found this movie and the last jedi are pretty much a good comparison, in that they're pretty much the opposite. In the last Jedi every plot twist is unpredictable but makes the story worse, and neither the characters nor the story itself are logical. The superheroine Rey has zero flaws, as political correctness dictates she needs to fulfill both the female and male archetypes of a hero.

Joker was completely unpredictable to me, most assumptions I had were wrong (though partly because I expected the movie to be worse), every plot twist made the movie better, didn't subvert the rest but enriched it.

Obviously I wouldn't say the movie is for everyone. The movie didn't shy away from cringe but full-on embraced it. The social awkwardness was more painful to watch than any of the violence.
    I didn't buy into the protagonist at first. Mostly again, because of low expectations. The movie actually succeeded to portray the Joker as someone realistic. The movie is slow in the beginning. It doesn't make clear where it's heading right away. You don't get to understand the protagonist right away. It is ambiguous and Joaquin Phoenix, whom you see in almost every shot, doesn't hold your hand. So I would perfectly well understand if the overall audience score had been abysmal. But no: 90%.

Instead it's the film critics, the one who're supposed to be the ones with the refined taste, the ones with the brains, who simply cannot stand to have those childish premonitions of good and evil ripped apart in a congruent way.

I do get that art is subjective, as is taste. But sometimes there isn't even a competition. Michelangelo will always beat any drawing I'll ever make. None of the recent Star Wars movies had any depth. Joker actually succeeded in a similar vein as the Nolan trilogy did: Starting with a premise that's so ridiculously unrealistic and over the top and turning it into something that's actually relevant.

Seriously. Not everyone liking a movie I get. Audience having a less refined taste in movies I'd get.

Film critics having a less refined audience than the audience and hating on a character driven story whilst loving a really, really dumb one I don't get.

So my question to you is: How da fug did this hilarious disconnect between film critics and audience come to be?!
    Is it because of the overall decline of journalism?! Is it because "film critic" is the job title of a person who's failed life and has actually less brain than the average? Are they unable to take a step back and simply critique anything on its own merits, rather than do so based on how it conforms to their world view?
    What the hell happened?
    Last edited by Cookiegod; October 13, 2019 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM