Thread: Good strategy for Markus Antonius?

Default Good strategy for Markus Antonius?

Hello everyone. I have probably dared the most difficult Roman campaign ever, with Marc Antony.

The first rounds the triumvirate broke up, I didn't manage to be drawn into the war with any of the Roman factions. By rejecting assistance, I am presented as untrustworthy.

I play with the Historical Legions, Dresden's Sack and Liberate and all Vassal option. Marian Reform Submod , Trade 2x5 and better Mines for DeI. And the PIGS Submod

Now my question, I have set up a legion in Damascus, one in Athens. The first step will probably be the conquest of Palmyra to take this satrapy from the parthern.

But then how am I supposed to go on? To take care of the balkan first, or to concentrate on the triumvirate and to the need of Asia Minor and Syria victims, as the campaign consultant suggests?

Or directly against the Parthians? Now at the beginning, unfortunately, they do not agree with any peace. The only alternative would be to try their satraps.

Or should I use the war goal option hastily, so that my vassals intervene here helping?

About tips I would be very grateful

Default Re: Good strategy for Markus Antonius?

Anybody got a hint? I just gave up.

I tried to concentrate on the Parthians and leave only one army on the balkan. But I just can't make it. I can still defeat Palmyra and Meshan. But after that there are troops of parsa, Zranka, Paradene and the parthern almost everywhere. How can that be done? Because at the same time Octavian is running the balkan. Also it is not possible for me to close separate peace with the partial satraps.

Is the solution that if the Dacians attack me, I will NOT call my allies to help? My allies in Asia ect send troops to Europe instead of against the Parthians.

Should I first take care of Octavian and the Roman factions and then draw against the Parthians?

i have a question ¿your game is on what turn? ¿Have octavius tried to invade u?

Quote Originally Posted by jonhgalt View Post
    i have a question ¿your game is on what turn? ¿Have octavius tried to invade u?
    Turn 66 i think.... I Remember the Year is 36 BC, he land with a Single LEgion at Appolonia, conquer the 2 next Citys north off them.

I think you should go west and abandon Syria in the start. The Parthians can't really threat your main base at Greece until they make it to the western Asia Minor. Kill other Romans and smaller factions in the west, and when you are powerful enough after that, turn back to the east. Use your vassals and allies in the east to block the Parthians if they attack for more time. Roman legionaries are experts when it comes to killing eastern missile based factions since they just don' take any hits. Couple of lithoboloses and Syrian heavily armorerd archers and you are good to go.

Hmm, I'm also on turn 70 or thereabouts. Year 35BC, anyhow.

Yes, the campaign is among the most challenging yet. At this moment I control Syria, Asia Minor, all of Lybian and African territories as far as Carthage in addition to a tentative hold on territories around Armenia. My allies control Egypt, Thrace and parts of Arabia/Nabataea.

My political strategy has been to always support Octavius against his enemies, that way by far the most difficult opponent is kept pacified (so far anyway). Next to impossible to preserve the alliance though, as some factions will be declaring war on you and you'll need the support of your other allies, can't fight it out all alone really. Also, keep supporting your other allies politically, that will keep them friendly despite your rising imperium and the diplomatic penalties associated with it. Despite this, it will be hard to get them to declare war on anyone unless they really want to.

My main enemies have been Lepidus, Pompeius and Parthia. I've so far defeated and eliminated Pompeius, Lepidus is kept in check by Octavius, so I can focus on Parthia (and defense against Dacia). My allies (especially the Ptolemies, Galatians and Thracians) have been of invaluable help against Pompeius and Lepidus, going on the offensive since turn 5 or so and moving their armies far across the map to engage them. On the other hand Pontus and Hayk were of enormous help against the Parthians, occupying nearby Parthian territories with full stacks of armies for the first 40 or so turns. Now both Pontos and Hayk are out of steam, but after defeating Pompeius and setting up a defense on the borders of Numidia, I can finally focus on Parthia & co.

Economically my focus was sending spies abroad along coastlines to secure trade agreements, then removing unneeded buildings and building ones for mostly food and public order, those two are the hardest to keep in good shape.

Militarily, i've been using mercenary elephants a lot. Against the Roman legions they work wonders, but it becomes more difficult against Parthia. They field armies composed entirely of cavalry, 75% archer cav and 25% heavy cav on average. Against such stacks I've used a combo of 6 legionary cohorts (with testudo), 4 spears, 4 elephants and 5 archers. Seems to be efficient if you let them waste their arrows and heavy cav against the cohorts and spears, then when they've gone to melee charge in your elephants. Hard fought battles nevertheless.
    In addition elephants cost a LOT. I'm currently spending around 50k/turn just on elephant upkeep.

Main problem is having enough armies to be able to cover all the extensive borders. I have to station as many as 16 generals in different provinces (some as "fleets") with their ancillaries and tr
    aits geared for public order. And only have 3 active armies. But I have hopes that once Parthia is subdued, things will get easier

So it is possible to fight on two fronts after all.

Cheers.

I am thinking of making an offer to the partners for peace to sacrifice the majority of their clientele, including trade agreements.

That would put me in the red, but I could let the East be East for the time being and throw everything into civil war.

How can I avoid a faction declaring war on me? ( in this case the Dacians )

Is it enough to send 600 Dinari as tribute every 2-3 rounds to keep the AI from attacking?

I relaunched the campaign.

Now I will try to eliminate the Dacian threat first, my mistake in the last campaign was probably to allow the Thracians to be destroyed.

Also I could leoich at the beginning a trade agreement with lepidus and Octavian. Even with Pompey, trade would have been possible, but it would have been strategically useless for me.

Primarily I try to destroy the Dacians and Bastarnazoz before I turn to Italy. I must say that it is the most demanding campaign with Mark anton.

I even had the consideration to let Syria as well as Tyros become a secession on purpose, alternatively to let the regions become rebels.

What I find very unfortunate is that Mark Anton is at war with the partners right at the beginning of the campaign. At the time of the beginning of the campaign, Mark Anton's parther campaign was still a bit distant
    Last edited by Avarice1987; December 26, 2019 at 06:03 AM.

I think a small amount of cash won't really pacify the Dacians. It might win you a few turns, but ultimately the best strategy is elimination. Focus on one front, go all out there until your enemy is defeated, then turn to another threat, eliminate that. Rinse and repeat. In any case, offense is the best defense.

I must admit that I also save the game a lot, and sometimes reload when a war starts at the worst possible moment. This can help to go on for one or two turns forward, because upon reload the other party might still want to be peaceful.

I'm partial to keeping Syria well defended, as it is my primary source of mercenary elephants, costing only 13k to hire, as opposed to ~25k elsewhere. Rather lose Greece and Thrace.

I'd also think twice about getting rid of allies. In case they become enemies in the future, you may suddenly have many more hostile stacks to deal with.