Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: cavalry and morale mechanics make battles a cakewalk

Default Re: cavalry and morale mechanics make battles a cakewalk

I’m chef on steam, I think you confused that guy for me

Quote Originally Posted by meerkatology View Post
    ur saying u can win with an all cav army as a noneastern faction, against a balanced army of equal cost, that isn't allowed to noobbox? :O

also my steam isn't chef
    Well I’m not a fan of cav-only armies, though I’ve consistently lost to nomads recently. But what I meant to say is that you play any faction you want, chose a “balanced” army (I think we can agree that, depending on the faction maybe that means 2-4 cav?) I’ll pick some other faction with a few more/heavier cav. Same overall budget. And I promise you I’ll win. I’ve played about 20-30 MP games since the last update that changed cavalry mass. With the exception of maybe 1 or 2 of those, every battle was determined by whomever won the cavalry battle, and the cavalry battle itself was almost exclusively determined by who had the heaviest cav units. Infantry is useful only to the extent that having an anvil still helps your cavalry kill everything easier.

I’m not challenging you to a game to be a jerk, I just think that playing the AI, many folks may not realize how powerful cavalry is in the hands of a player. Once you play some MP, you'll see how determinative it is, and how you can always count on winning against the AI as long as you manage your cavalry well.

One final thought, I strongly disagree about how Thureos Spears should work. They should absolutely be able to win 1-1 against same cost cavalry (and better). Your point about how they aren’t meant to operate independently, but rather as part of a line is totally off base. Literally the point of Thureos Spears (historically and in game) was to be a tactically flexible unit that could operate independently and to hold the flanks and protect against cavalary outflanking maneuvers.

Ah, my bad Loca. Happy to play you as well though!
    Last edited by Ptolemaios Soter; November 13, 2019 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhvanputten View Post
    Well I’m not a fan of cav-only armies, though I’ve consistently lost to nomads recently. But what I meant to say is that you play any faction you want, chose a “balanced” army (I think we can agree that, depending on the faction maybe that means 2-4 cav?) I’ll pick some other faction with a few more/heavier cav. Same overall budget. And I promise you I’ll win. I’ve played about 20-30 MP games since the last update that changed cavalry mass. With the exception of maybe 1 or 2 of those, every battle was determined by whomever won the cavalry battle, and the cavalry battle itself was almost exclusively determined by who had the heaviest cav units. Infantry is useful only to the extent that having an anvil still helps your cavalry kill everything easier.

I’m not challenging you to a game to be a jerk, I just think that playing the AI, many folks may not realize how powerful cavalry is in the hands of a player. Once you play some MP, you'll see how determinative it is, and how you can always count on winning against the AI as long as you manage your cavalry well.

One final thought, I strongly disagree about how Thureos Spears should work. They should absolutely be able to win 1-1 against same cost cavalry (and better). Your point about how they aren’t meant to operate independently, but rather as part of a line is totally off base. Literally the point of Thureos Spears (historically and in game) was to be a tactically flexible unit that could operate independently and to hold the flanks and protect against cavalary outflanking maneuvers.

Ah, my bad Loca. Happy to play you as well though!
    in reality a thureos spear would be able to face all directions and brace, but the game doenst allow it.

if you are also using a balanced army simply with superior cav, i don't think it proves much. if you win it could just be that i suck at mp since i never play mp.

my steam is kairuime

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123