Thread: Editing existing building(s) in vanilla

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Default Editing existing building(s) in vanilla

I wonder if anyone can confirm what I've done (I edit it in the Gnome editor) is correct.

Code:
    "{CASTLE4,SPEARMAKER},{CASTLE7,ARMOURER},{CASTLE7,SWORDSMITH},{CASTLE7,METALSMITH},{CASTLE10,{METALSMITH2},{CASTLE13, METALSMITH3}"
    This is part of a mod idea I've had for quite some time and now I wanted to test it in-game, so before I edit more buildings (I also want to correct the tavern and brothel) than the metalsmith I just want to confirm if this is correct.

I always thought that the metalsmith should be available once the player have upgraded the fort to a keep, instead of first upgrading the keep to a castle then build the metalsmith.

4 years -fort (400 florins)
    8 years - keep (1000 florins)
    12 years - castle (2000 florins)
    6 years - metalsmith (600 florins)

In total 30 years and that's too long to build a metalsmith IMO, so that's why I wanted to change the metalsmith building for two reasons; (1) - Make it the same as it is in Viking Invasion (not entirely the same, but make it available as it is in Viking Invasion), (2) - Make it available once the player have built the keep. In vanilla the total cost is 4000 florins.

Of course I need to compensate shorter construction time for the metalsmith by adding both the armourer and the swordsmith as a requirement for the metalsmith and the construction time is this.

4 years - fort (400 florins)
    8 years - keep (1000 florins)
    2 years - townwatch (200 florins)
    2 years - spearmaker (200 florins)
    4 years - armourer (400 florins)
    4 years - swordsmith 400 florins)
    4 years - metalsmith (400 florins)

This makes the construction time for the metalsmith 2 years shorter than it is in vanilla and I don't think that will change the gameplay too much. The total cost will be 3000 florins and I think that's realistic.

Feel free to comment or suggest what you think is needed.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Default Re: Editing existing building(s) in vanilla

Last night I tried to launch MTW and everything seems to be working, so today I wanted to change the Tavern and the Brothel.

But now I got another problem and I've no idea how to do it without being forced to first build the tavern then build the brothel, so I wanted to check how it is done in the Viking Invasion.

I tried to load the VIKING_BUILD_PROD.TXT file in Gnome, but couldn't due to a script error and this "Run-time error '9':" and below it continues "Subscript out of range" message is what I got.

Does anyone know what that means?

Anyway, I loaded the VIKING_BUILD_PROD.TXT file into Notepad++ and below is what I copied to this post.

Code:
    3	TAVERN	"Tavern1, Tavern2, Tavern3, Tavern4"	AGENT_PRODUCER	"500,600,700, 800"	"4,4,4,4"	"{CASTLE},{CASTLE2,TAVERN},{CASTLE3,TAVERN2},{CASTLE4,TAVERN3}"
    3	BROTHEL	"Brothel1, Brothel2, Brothel3, Brothel4"	AGENT_PRODUCER	"500,600,700, 800"	"4,4,4,4"	"{CASTLE},{CASTLE2,BROTHEL},{CASTLE3,BROTHEL2},{CASTLE4,BROTHEL3}"
    When I compare it how it's written in the CRUSADER_BUILD_PROD13.TXT file with the VIKING_BUILD_PROD.TXT, the Viking Invasion expansion doesn't have any requirements for either the tavern or the brothel, but the medieval campagin has a requirement(s) at least for the brothel.

In the medieval campaign the tavern is a prerequisite for the brothel regardless if I edit the CRUSADER_BUILD_PROD13.TXT file or not and I dunno if I can make both agent buildings to be built as it is in the Viking Invasion.

Is it possible to build either the tavern or the brothel in the medieval campaign without requiring the other agent building (tavern is required to be built first before being able to build the brothel)?

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    Is it possible to build either the tavern or the brothel in the medieval campaign without requiring the other agent building (tavern is required to be built first before being able to build the brothel)?
    If I understand you correctly, you want to change the "CRUSADER_BUILD_PROD13.TXT", so that the BROTHEL can be built without the TAVERN as a prerequisite.
    Currently the row defining the BROTHEL starts something like this:

0 BROTHEL Brothel1 AGENT_PRODUCER 800 6 "{CASTLE7, TAVERN}"

Now, you should change it to something like this:

0 BROTHEL Brothel1 AGENT_PRODUCER 800 6 "{CASTLE7}"

And it should work.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    I wonder if anyone can confirm what I've done (I edit it in the Gnome editor) is correct.

Code:
    "{CASTLE4,SPEARMAKER},{CASTLE7,ARMOURER},{CASTLE7,SWORDSMITH},{CASTLE7,METALSMITH},{CASTLE10,{METALSMITH2},{CASTLE13, METALSMITH3}"

Feel free to comment or suggest what you think is needed.
    I am not sure I follow.
    First, I see an error in the parenthesis - maybe you did not copy/paste the full part??
    There is a curly parenthesis opening before at CASTLE10, but not closing.

So, what I see at the moment is a definition for a METALSMITH with 6 levels? Is that correct?
    The first level should be available once CASTLE4 and a SPEARMAKER are built?
    The second level should be available once CASTLE4 and an ARMOURER are built?

In my view that does not make much sense. A METALSMITH2 should always need a METALSMITH before it can be built. Otherwise one could leap from no METALSMITH at all to a METALSMITH3.

Do you, maybe, want to allow several paths to reach a METALSMITH??
    Maybe then this is what you want:

"{{CASTLE4,SPEARMAKER},{CASTLE4,ARMOURER},{CASTLE4,SWORDSMITH}},{CASTLE7,METALSMITH},{CASTLE10,METALSMITH2},{CASTLE13, METALSMITH3}"

This would allow to build a METALSMITH with either of the three alternatives.
    Last edited by Frunk; May 16, 2020 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Posts merged.

Default Re: Editing existing building(s) in vanilla

Sorry for the late reply as I've been a little busy with RL lately.

Quote Originally Posted by IbnSina View Post
    If I understand you correctly, you want to change the "CRUSADER_BUILD_PROD13.TXT", so that the BROTHEL can be built without the TAVERN as a prerequisite.
    Currently the row defining the BROTHEL starts something like this:

0 BROTHEL Brothel1 AGENT_PRODUCER 800 6 "{CASTLE7, TAVERN}"

Now, you should change it to something like this:

0 BROTHEL Brothel1 AGENT_PRODUCER 800 6 "{CASTLE7}"

And it should work.
    Yes. That's what I wanted to do.

Quote Originally Posted by IbnSina View Post
    I am not sure I follow.
    First, I see an error in the parenthesis - maybe you did not copy/paste the full part??
    There is a curly parenthesis opening before at CASTLE10, but not closing.

So, what I see at the moment is a definition for a METALSMITH with 6 levels? Is that correct?
    The first level should be available once CASTLE4 and a SPEARMAKER are built?
    The second level should be available once CASTLE4 and an ARMOURER are built?

In my view that does not make much sense. A METALSMITH2 should always need a METALSMITH before it can be built. Otherwise one could leap from no METALSMITH at all to a METALSMITH3.

Do you, maybe, want to allow several paths to reach a METALSMITH??
    Maybe then this is what you want:

"{{CASTLE4,SPEARMAKER},{CASTLE4,ARMOURER},{CASTLE4,SWORDSMITH}},{CASTLE7,METALSMITH},{CASTLE10,METALSMITH2},{CASTLE13, METALSMITH3}"

This would allow to build a METALSMITH with either of the three alternatives.
    Oh, those damn parenthesis and sometimes it drives me crazy, not that crazy if you know what I mean.

I know the METALSMITH2 must have METALSMITH built, just how it is in the Viking Invasion. Of course the METALSMITH building still requires the iron resource in the province.

Anyway, what I wanted to do is to let the player to build the metalsmith at the keep level (CASTLE4), not the castle level. But I didn't wanted to decrease the building time for the metalsmith, instead I wanted to let the metalsmith to have new prerequisite such as spearmaker workshop+armourer+swordsmith built before the player can build the metalsmith at the keep level (CASTLE4). Provided that the province has the iron resource.