Thread: Writers' Study Yearly Awards 2018-2019 - NOMINATIONS THREAD

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Default Writers' Study Yearly Awards 2018-2019 - NOMINATIONS THREAD

Welcome to our sixth Yearly Awards competition!

Everyone is invited to nominate their favourite writing from 2019 (and a little bit from 2018).
    With that in mind:

you may only nominate writing posted on TWC between 1 October 2018 and 30 September 2019.

In this competition, we recognise and reward the greatest writers among us this year – both Creative Writers and AARtists!

This year's categories are:

AAR of the Year
    For – what else? – the best AAR!
    You may nominate any AAR that received an update between 1 October 2018 and 30 September 2019.

CW of the Year
    For - naturally! - the best Creative Writing!
    You may nominate any piece of Creative Writing that received an update between 1 October 2018 and 30 September 2019.

Combined Award: Best Newcomer
    Which new WS poster has showered us with the greatest display of talent since the 1st October 2018?
    This award could go to someone who writes AARs, or CW, or both. You can nominate any member who posted an update to an AAR or piece of creative writing between 1 October 2018 and 30 September 2019.

Please read the rules, in the next post, before making any nominations.
    Last edited by Caillagh de Bodemloze; October 08, 2019 at 09:32 AM.

Content Emeritus

Default Re: Writers' Study Yearly Awards 2018-2019 - NOMINATIONS THREAD

RULES

Each category has eligibility criteria, shown in the post above. Please read them carefully. Only writing that was posted between 1 October 2018 and 30 September 2019 (inclusive) is eligible.

When it comes to nominating there are some other rules:

The nomination period will be open until 11:59 GMT+0, 31 October 2019. Following this, there will be a two week voting period.

Nominations are to be made in this thread
    Nope, that's not a link. Post your nominations in this thread that you're reading right now please!

No self-nomination
    You cannot nominate yourself or your own work for any category.

Maximum of three nominations per category
    You can only nominate a maximum of three nominees for a category. Any more than three nominations and only the first three will be counted.

You do not need to make nominations in every category
    You may make a nomination (or nominations) in only one category, if you wish. Or you may make nominations in two (or more) categories. It’s entirely up to you!

When making a nomination, please give as much information as possible.
    Please make sure you say which category you are nominating a person or piece of work for. If you are nominating a member (for Best Newcomer), you need only give the member’s name.

If you are nominating an AAR or a CW piece, please give the title of the piece, AND the name of the author.

If you are struggling to remember the exact details of the member or piece of work you wish to nominate, please nominate them anyway, with as much information as you have. If WS staff cannot easily identify the person or work you are nominating, they may ask you for more details. If they still can’t identify your nomination, they may decide not to include it in the competition.

Best Newcomer
    As set out above, a “Newcomer” is someone who made their first substantial contribution to the WS between 1 October 2018 and 30 September 2019. This means their first substantial contribution as an author of AARs or CW. Their first substantial contribution must have been since 1 October 2018. They would still qualify for nomination if they had written a brief one or two-post AAR (or CW) earlier, and then written a substantial AAR (or CW) during the year covered by this competition. If you are in any doubt about whether someone can be nominated for the Best Newcomer Awards, please ask the WS staff.

Each member may only win one award
    If a member wins more than one award, they will be given the chance to choose which award they wish to receive. This applies to second and third place awards as well as first place awards. The other(s) will be awarded to the runner(s)-up.

‘Honour’ system
    We are running this competition on the ‘honour’ system. If you notice that you have been nominated for an award you do not qualify for, please notify the WS staff.
    Likewise, if you notice someone else has been nominated for an award they don’t qualify for, please notify the WS staff.

If, at any stage, the WS staff discover that a nominee for or winner of any award does not qualify to be entered in that category, the WS staff reserve the right to disqualify them. If voting has not yet begun, the disqualified nominee will simply not be entered in the competition. If voting has already begun, and the disqualified nominee obtains enough votes to win an award, that award will be given to the person with the next highest number of votes.

To make your nominations, please copy and paste the following into this thread, with your nominations for each category:

AARotY:

CWotY:

Best Newcomer:

For example:

AAROTY: Story A by Member 1, Story B by Member 2, Story C by Member 3

Best Newcomer: Member 7, Member 8, Member 9

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them in the chat thread or PM any member of WS staff. Have fun nominating!

We are very grateful to all (Scottish King, Hitai de Bodemloze, m_1512, Radzeer and Dance) who began the Writers’ Study Yearly Awards in 2014. We want to say a huge thank you to Joar for designing the artwork. Please rep him generously for his trouble!
    Last edited by Caillagh de Bodemloze; October 08, 2019 at 09:34 AM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Nominating just three per category is really difficult, there were plenty of others who deserve a nomination. I hope we'll get more nominations soon!

AARotY: Written in Sand by Kilo11, Derc Plays Through World History by Derc, To earn a Kingdom by Turkafinwë

CWotY: Change by Swaeft, Words of the Forgotten by Admiral Van Tromp, Cat Tails by NorseThing

Best Newcomer: Derc, Rien102, DreamKing

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

To be updated:

AARoty: New Town by Alwyn, The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons by Maltacus, Of Wolves and Blobtits by Cookiegod

CWoty: Swords made of Letters by Basileos Leandros I, A First Command by Rien102

Best Newcomer:

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Content Emeritus

After much deliberation with me, myself and I, we have finally made a decision. Let's get those nominations rolling in!

AARotY: Fractured Dragon by Swaeft, Saviours of Roma by Kaiser_Alex, Toutatis Favours the Brave by Welsh Dragon

CWotY: Castling by Kyriakos, Memories beside the Fountain of Life by C-Beams, The Fool and His Keeper by Kilo11

Best Newcomer: Christonikos, Marble Emperor, SELEUKID EMPIRE

So, some of the things I'd like to nominate are already here, but lucky for me the folks of the Writers' Study are so prolific I can find alternates

AARotY: Last Chariots of the Tarquins by Skotos of Sinope, Of Wolves and Prey by Cookiegod, and God's Justice by Swaeft

CWotY: Group Writing Project by ggggtotalwarrior, and everything else I've read has already been nominated

Best Newcomer: Other than Derc (who's been nominated already) I don't know who the newcomers are, but I am excited to become acquainted with those nominated above!
    Last edited by Kilo11; October 20, 2019 at 11:36 PM.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

As always this is a difficult choice, with many worthy challengers amongst our writing community. Goodluck everyone.

AARotY: New Town by Alwyn, Derc Plays Through World History by Derc, Written in Sand by Kilo11.

CWotY: TBA

Best Newcomer: DreamKing, Derc, Marble Emperor

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Every AAR I wanted to propose, others have done for me.

Derc is a noob, but is he a newcomer?

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Best Newcomer: Derc, Rien102, DreamKing

Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft View Post
    CWoty: Swords made of Letters by Basileos Leandros I, A First Command by Rien102

Darn! Should have seen these last Saturday! Would have been a good occasion to get drunk! Oh well… looks like I’ll have to drink next Friday night then! The wife and kids will be pissed but... what the heck!!! Also, to you two guys, is enough?

Also, I'm happy to see that almost all the stories that are nominated already are/were part of my regular readings! woohoo!!!

AAR of the year - Alwyn, New Town, Welsh Dragon, Toutatis Favours The Brave
    Last edited by DreamKing; October 27, 2019 at 01:30 PM.

Skotos of Sinope's Avatar Macstre Gaposal

Apologies if this should be posted in the chat thread, but I was wondering if the rules allow one to de-nominate themselves after being nominated. I have not been able to get back to my AAR since May and I would rather it not be considered in its current form. TBH, I may end up closing it down.
    Last edited by Skotos of Sinope; October 24, 2019 at 07:29 PM.

Campidoctor

Why, tho? It is called 'Yearly Awards' for a reason, and even thought you may have evolved in the meantime, the things you have created yesterday are not necessarily bad at all. They weren't. People enjoyed it, otherwise they wouldn't have nominated it. Be proud of yourself and the work you have done, Skotos, and stop being too hard on yourself. I had such a nice time reading your AAR on may daily way to work, it made riding the train actually something to look forward to. You can't get away from being +repped once more .

Come on, this is just a fun competitions anyways, no fight for life and death (except between me and Cookie ).

So, if only because I feel weird, I won't give nomination for "Newcomerof the Year" because I am "officially" in the group and it's not like there is a ton of us so...

Nominations for AAR: New Town (Alwyn), Derc Plays Through History (Derc), Toutatis Favours The Brave (Welsh Dragon)

Nomination for CW: The Fool and his Keeper (kilo11), Change (Swaeft) I will nominate only two cause I have a piece in that category and.. well... you know...

Some editions were made because I'm an idiot... I have put Welsh Dragon's AAR in the AAR section, as it should. It meant I had to get an AAR out and sadly, it was Swaeft's that got the boot but there was a piece of CW that he did that I liked a ton so... Swaeft, you went from one category to the other. Sorry for the mistake...
    Last edited by JB2C; October 27, 2019 at 10:21 AM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness

Quote Originally Posted by Skotos of Sinope View Post
    Apologies if this should be posted in the chat thread, but I was wondering if the rules allow one to de-nominate themselves after being nominated. I have not been able to get back to my AAR since May and I would rather it not be considered in its current form. TBH, I may end up closing it down.
    You can decline a nomination if you want to. I hope you'll reconsider. It's understanable that writers are sometimes harsh critics of our own work. Even so, as Derc said, your AAR meant something to readers. I'm another of the people who enjoyed your AAR - and that's what the Yearly Awards are about, the appreciation of readers (unlike the MAARC and MCWC, where entries are usually submitted by the writer themselves).

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

@Skotos

I can only echo Derc and Alwyn's words. No piece of writing is ever perfect, and we writers are often our worst critics (I know I certainly am.) But if we entertain our readers or make them think or even just help them pass the time on a journey, we have achieved something. And if a reader feels strongly enough about our writing to nominate it for an award such as this, we must be doing something right even if we don't feel it ourselves. Sometimes its our readers that see our stories clearer than we do (as you did for me last year, offering insight to my own writing which I would never have seen, at a time when I was struggling. It took me a while, but I got back on that horse and continued the tale, and I'm glad I did.)

That said, Chariots is your story, and it is ultimately your decision if you wish it to be considered for the award.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

Everyone has already said everything I could possibly say about your AAR, Skotos, so I won't repeat it all over again. I will say that I enjoyed reading it, though. Thank you for writing it and sharing it with us.

Other people have already nominated lots of things I liked, so I've tried to find things I could nominate that haven't already been mentioned. Even so, there's a lot to choose from, and it's always difficult to pick. But here are some items to add to the list (and I may manage to find others before the deadline):

AARotY: Imperatoria Roma by Lord of the Wall

CWotY: Four Queens by Sconderix, The Age of Filior Anthology by Admiral Van Tromp

Skotos of Sinope's Avatar Macstre Gaposal

I appreciate the sentiment folks. It means a lot. At the end of the day though, it's not about my own perceived opinion of the work (Like Alwyn said, we all are our worst critics, so that's not new.) so much as the effort put forth. All you guys have kept up with your AARs and worked really hard on them, and I just have not done the same. Maybe next year I'll get back to it and things will be different.

Anyway, I'll go ahead let the nominations resume and end this threadjack now. (With my apologies to the mods for this going off-topic.)

Content Emeritus

That's it folks! The nomination period is over and we have wonderful entries to show for it.

Thank you to everyone who posted their nominations!

I'll close this thread now as to not confuse anyone to make any more nominations and I'll start making the voting threads.