Thread: Did any of you ever play as Rome in the Rise of the Republic campaign?

Default Did any of you ever play as Rome in the Rise of the Republic campaign?

If so, what do you normally do? Do you attack both Cisra and Veii very soon? Or do you wait several turns ( in order to first build up a little both military and economically ) before venturing on conquering the Veii province? And do you try to ally or at least to get a non-agression pact with all the factions you can soon ( of course Veii is the exception because there is no way of getting a non-agression pact with them )?
    Last edited by twgamer20197; October 04, 2019 at 10:39 AM.

Default Re: Did any of you ever play as Rome in the Rise of the Republic campaign?

I have, and did really good for a long time. What I did was recruit for about two turns so I could grab some more slingers and hoplites, and then push right for Cisra. It is critical you win the battle with as few loses as possible, as Veii will inevitably counterattack. Don't worry about your economy being weak, you can sort it out soon enough. Try to maintain good standings with Tarchuna and the people beyond Veii, in the mountains. Once you kill Veii and stablize the providence, you should push south. Try to get Centuriea ASAP, they are a god send and will carry you to the late game.

Default Re: Did any of you ever play as Rome in the Rise of the Republic campaign?

I see. Maybe one mistake of many people is neglecting diplomacy with Tarchuna, with the ones in the mountains beyond Veii and with the Hernici ( I read somewhere in a web site that certain people complain that playing as Rome is very tough from hard difficulty level and up because the Hernici, the Sabines, the Volci and even Tarchuna declare war within a few turns. Well, in the case of the Volci, that is inevitable). If that happens, you're in big trouble and maybe it will be better to restart the campaign.

And do you think it is better to attack Cisra first before going for Veii? I guess it is better to first go for Veii because they have access to their best units in that city. Once you capture Veii, they don't have access to recruit their best units anymore
    Last edited by twgamer20197; October 06, 2019 at 10:28 AM.

Just getting non-aggresion is enough. You will rarely be able to get diplomacy going anyways, so it doesn't matter in the long term. Sooner or later, everyone will hate you.

I prefer Cisra first. If you go for Veii first, you'll probably have way more loses after the inevitable battle, meaning that an army in Cisra can just march on Veii and siege it, killing your entire army. Plus, taking Veii means Ostia is way more secure. Plus, going for Veii first means you have really early borders with the Sabines and such, increasing your chances for a war against them.

Quote Originally Posted by OathswornOfGaul View Post
    Just getting non-aggresion is enough. You will rarely be able to get diplomacy going anyways, so it doesn't matter in the long term. Sooner or later, everyone will hate you.

I prefer Cisra first. If you go for Veii first, you'll probably have way more loses after the inevitable battle, meaning that an army in Cisra can just march on Veii and siege it, killing your entire army. Plus, taking Veii means Ostia is way more secure. Plus, going for Veii first means you have really early borders with the Sabines and such, increasing your chances for a war against them.
    My point is that you should try to avoid having wars in different fronts simultaneously in the early stage of the campaign. So, that's why I think it is very important to try to get a non-agression pact ( right from the start of the campaign ) with Tarchuna, the Sabines, the Umbri and the Hernici. And of course it is imppossible with the Volci ( This faction declares you war right after you conquer the Veii province or a few turns after that )

And as to which city to attack first, you're right mate. It is better to first get a more numerous and stronger army before attacking Veii city
    Last edited by twgamer20197; October 07, 2019 at 11:57 AM.

Yes, I played as Rome, and well.. I won...! Played on hard. Was not easy at the beginning and actually quite challenging. Took out Veji first, then Cisra. Kept all the time good relationships with the Etruscians and neighbours to the east. Expanded mainly south, all the way to Sicily. Syracuse, was a powerhouse which had eliminated Carthage. So, I went all the way to Africa and finished Syracuse off. Back then, I had made alliances with most of the other Italian tribes (as did the Romans). Kept Samnites and Etruscians alive (Military Alliance). All the north I left untouched. I had also one Civil War (quite early) which I found unrealistic, but well... Otherwise, it was fun to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Legatus Legionarii View Post
    Yes, I played as Rome, and well.. I won...! Played on hard. Was not easy at the beginning and actually quite challenging. Took out Veji first, then Cisra. Kept all the time good relationships with the Etruscians and neighbours to the east. Expanded mainly south, all the way to Sicily. Syracuse, was a powerhouse which had eliminated Carthage. So, I went all the way to Africa and finished Syracuse off. Back then, I had made alliances with most of the other Italian tribes (as did the Romans). Kept Samnites and Etruscians alive (Military Alliance). All the north I left untouched. I had also one Civil War (quite early) which I found unrealistic, but well... Otherwise, it was fun to play.

How many turns did you wait before attacking Veii? That's pretty hard to take in the battlefield. Most people prefer to make them sally out in order to face them on the open ( after sieging it for several turns ) or to win by the battle autoresolve option