Thread: VENT: CA are not ethical developers. STUCK SHIPS!!!

Default VENT: CA are not ethical developers. STUCK SHIPS!!!

I've gotten into RTWII in the last few months, though I've been a fan for over a decade.

I just got done with two battles. The first as Rome I defended Akrgas from Carthage, 5,800 vs 7,200, most of my army was gone and two lithobolos ships got stuck in a corner and I didn't have enough ranged to kill them. I rage quit, reload, play the battle 10x better and still have most of my army. More importantly I saved 4 crossbowmen and 2 levy archers ammo till the end, where I again have 2 lithobolos ships just stationary right offshore. I set all to attack one with fire arrows, one gets half depleted, but both still stuck. Then the fire arrows kicked in on one sank. Now there is just one ship, with nothing to get caught on, preventing me from moving forward.

How does a company justify new content at over inflated prices that make Paradox blush, and still have major problems from release over 5 years ago?!
    Last edited by NorthernXY; October 04, 2019 at 10:01 AM.

antred's Avatar Senator

Default Re: VENT: CA are not ethical developers. STUCK SHIPS!!!

Yeah, I'm with you. The amount of game-breaking bugs that are STILL in the game is quite staggering, considering this has been out for almost 7 years.

P.S. Set battle time limit to 30 minutes to work around this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernXY View Post
    I've gotten into RTWII in the last few months, though I've been a fan for over a decade.

I just got done with two battles. The first as Rome I defended Akrgas from Carthage, 5,800 vs 7,200, most of my army was gone and two lithobolos ships got stuck in a corner and I didn't have enough ranged to kill them. I rage quit, reload, play the battle 10x better and still have most of my army. More importantly I saved 4 crossbowmen and 2 levy archers ammo till the end, where I again have 2 lithobolos ships just stationary right offshore. I set all to attack one with fire arrows, one gets half depleted, but both still stuck. Then the fire arrows kicked in on one sank. Now there is just one ship, with nothing to get caught on, preventing me from moving forward.

How does a company justify new content at over inflated prices that make Paradox blush, and still have major problems from release over 5 years ago?!
    If you think it's bad now, you should have seen release day...

Yeah this is heaven compared to what it used to be Naval battles are about 1000% improved, which is scary to think about.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Knew the veterans that had been playing the game at launch, would just smile and nod their heads how much MORE this used to happen.

I loved RTW and MTWII, so I was planning on getting RTWII on release, but my computer couldn't run it. I followed it for a while after release and while I didn't get enraged from playing the game at launch, I read all the reviews from rightfully enraged customers, not game reviewers, and realized I dodged a huge bullet. The fact to play the Hellenic states, which were finished, but behind a pay wall, (and something about a person discovering the camel units shipped with with the game, but wasn't playable till the first DLC) convinced me to say goodbye to CA. You can't play as Athens, one of the most known and relevant factions in the game/history, in the basic game but you can play as Massalia, a Greek colony most people never heard of. They realized that most people would want to play as Sparta or Athens (Epirus being mostly unknown to casual history fans and I've been told is just a Mac reskin), so CA put it behind a paywall to "earn" more $$$.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance was nothing but bugs at launch, but the minuscule team that built it promised they'd fix the issues. After months of constant updates and patches, I gave it a try and can't remember having more than a couple bugs with ~100 hours of game play. Certainly nothing close to what I had heard, and this is less than 6 months after release.

I just find myself at times feeling like CA developers should be ashamed. I know it is stupid nerd rage but I am just downright appalled over the I have to endure. DeI is the only thing that makes me see value in the basegame.

Turingi are barreling down on me with 2 stacks in my Rome legendary campaign. But my army is close to their only town behind enemy lines. I have a stack close to Koria while they armies are in cisalpina.
    I put myself extra close to the settlement just so I am sure to get it next turn. Next turn it is winter and I can't move at all? Now that might be DeI, but shouldn't I atleast be able to move a centimeter? A damn centimeter?
    But worse is that turining moved closer to the army. But they were in cisalpina, far away.

I check, doublecheck, tripplecheck and see they are far from in range to my army in cisalpina and next turn it is spring so I can still take the settlement.
    THEN IN WINTER, WHEN I HAVE CHECKED THEY ARE FAR AWAY THEY REACH MY ARMY.
    HOW, NOT ONLY DO THEY REACH BUT THEY REACH WHEN I PRESS RETREAT AND RETREAT AWAY FROM THEM.

I am so SICK of this game, I am so SICK of loses being because of things CA should be ashamed to have coded in. OR ashamed over the lack of coding.
    God I am so SICK of the incompetence, I am so throughougly enjoying the game but find myself playing against ABYSMAL siege AI, inchoerent AI, stupid pathfinding and a myriad of CA problems.

I am so SICK of having payed these games and slowly have the glitter and wonderful effects fall off and left witnessing the frankly horrid engine that exists under the fancy hood.
    When I was younger I think I just had the time and patience to play through it, but now with adult responsibilities I have a lot less time for gaming. And it is such a huge frustration to have so many hours in a campaign thrown away just because things that happen time to time.
    Last edited by userstupidname; October 09, 2019 at 03:21 PM.

I loved RTW and MTWII, so I was planning on getting RTWII on release
    Kingdom Come: Deliverance was nothing but bugs at launch, but the minuscule team that built it promised they'd fix the issues. After months of constant updates and patches, I gave it a try and can't remember having more than a couple bugs with ~100 hours of game play. Certainly nothing close to what I had heard, and this is less than 6 months after release.
    Don't want to start a flame war, and this isn't meant personally, but it is at the core of the problem. You, and many others, are veterans of CA games and their bugs, and yet still plan to buy their titles at launch.

In fact R1 and M2 had plenty of bugs at launch, and most of those weren't fixed until after the BI and Kingdoms expansions and then some. If you play EB2 and SS today there are still bugs in games over a decade old. Unfortunately, despite these bugs, people still buy (and even pre-order) the latest CA titles.

So where's the incentive to fix the games? They get the money, dump the last title whilst still bugged and move on to the next one. No money in fixing older games when the new ones are selling at AAA prices. People talk about how great it is that they still support R2 with patches, but those are all linked to the release of new paid DLC.

Compare that to Warhorse and other small and indie devs - they know they can't rest on their laurels and big name so they have to work to fix their games. Therefore they work and work until people are willing to try it as otherwise they don't eat. Imo it's nothing to do with ethics, and everything to do with the incentives given to them as gamers.

Personally I never pre-order games, or even buy them at launch, as that just encourages devs to release any old hat, bugs and all, and do the bare minimum to fix the problems. Wait at least a month and see what the feedback is coming from the fanbase before buying a game and devs will actually then fix problems like this, otherwise they don't recoup the costs of production. This video from the excellent (sadly deceased) journalist TotalBiscuit sums it up and shows just how bad it could get if people keep buying games that ship with so many bugs:

Yeah, he is exactly right. CA is given money by Sega to make a game. Sega does not give them carte blanche and they also expect them to make as much money as possible. So, CA does things like day 1 dlc and releasing unfinished games, so that way the workers do not lose their jobs, as Sega would fire them without hesitation if they were to underperform.

The real unethical issue here is Capitalism, which is basically just pure greed. That is something that will NEVER go away, so we should all just buckle up and get used to unfinished game releases and day 1 dlcs, etc.

CA is just doing what Sega tells them to do, and Sega is just doing what appeases the shareholders. And the shareholders only want 1 thing, and 1 thing only

MONEY.

they don't gaf about us consumers.