Thread: V3 Balance

Default V3 Balance

Some observations regarding the faction balance ( V3 ) after playing several campaigns.

- Ered Luin : tends to fight Angmar forever.
    - Bree : typically defends vs Dunland, sometimes taking Anuminas/Fornost
    - Angmar : fights forever vs multuiple enemies, mostly they lose eventually but don't get destroyed anytime fast
    - Northern Dunedain : gets their capital attacked often, tends to survive
    - Moria Goblins : survive always
    - Khazad Dum Dwarves : tend to hold Khazad dum East, do nothing else except for having the most money always
    - Snow Orcs : They can beat Erebor or lose against Erebor
    - Vale of Anduin: mostly surviving, sometimes attacking Dol Goldur succesfully
    - Enedwaith clans : do nothing or lose vs Dunland
    - Dunland : Win vs Enedwaith mostly, sometimes invading Bree but never destroying Bree.
    - Isengard : slowly beats down Rohan in most games
    - Rohan : in most games, gets beaten down slowly by Isengard
    - All 4 Elves factions : most games they don't take nor lose many lands
    - Dale : typically losing vs Rhun but only after a lot of turns, since Rhun needs a lot of turns before Dorwinion is finished
    - Dorwinion : always losing vs Rhun
    - Rhun : beats Dorwinion, they advances to Dale and Erebor
    - Erebor : can win or lose vs Snow Orcs, can lose vs Rhun
    - Dol Goldur : status quo most games
    - Mordor : tends to fight Gondor forever
    - Gondor : defends its lands against all fronts
    - Dol Amroth : can win or lose their fight vs Harad/Corsairs/Khand
    - Harad and Khand : small contribution to the wars with Gondor/DA
    - Corsairs : are typically annoying but never destroy other factions

Did I forget a faction?

The only two of the above observations that bother me are the following :
    - Dorwinion always losing vs Rhun
    - Gondor always surviving

Default Re: V3 Balance

These are on point except that in my campaigns every time Ered Luin destroys Angmar.

I said it before on the suggestions thread but I’ll say it again. Dorwinion in particular should take more land on turn 1 auto expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Steward Denethor II View Post
    I said it before on the suggestions thread but I’ll say it again. Dorwinion in particular should take more land on turn 1 auto expansion.
    In my campaigns they get wiped out by Rhun 4/5 times, hence, yes.

The trolls and greatbeasts Mordor eventually gets a lot of cause them to win all the auto-calc battles vs. Gondor, so Gondor is always on borrowed time.

The only reason Vale of Anduin holds out and does well is there INSANE garrison scripts they have in multiple places. The A.I. can't handle them, the snow orcs sends what they think is enough to take out that vale city near gundabad and then SURPRISE, here are 5 extra garrison woodsmen causing the assaults to fail over and over and over.

Many garrison scripts should be toned down a little. It leads to years upon years of chain sieges of settlements of otherwise defeated nations.

Looking forward to version 4

Quote Originally Posted by Multicolored View Post
    The trolls and greatbeasts Mordor eventually gets a lot of cause them to win all the auto-calc battles vs. Gondor, so Gondor is always on borrowed time.

The only reason Vale of Anduin holds out and does well is there INSANE garrison scripts they have in multiple places. The A.I. can't handle them, the snow orcs sends what they think is enough to take out that vale city near gundabad and then SURPRISE, here are 5 extra garrison woodsmen causing the assaults to fail over and over and over.

Many garrison scripts should be toned down a little. It leads to years upon years of chain sieges of settlements of otherwise defeated nations.

Looking forward to version 4
    Stalemates are common in war. ME models a period of history probably from 800 A.D to 1200 A.D...some wars lasted for multiple generations with respite in between campaigns. Having factions get rolled in the first 25 turns completely unbalances the game...if Anduin falls then Lothlorien and mirkwood fall, then Imladris and ND, the KD, then Rohan...Anduin will fall eventually, unless they are saved by a good faction but late enough in the campaign that it isn't a total clusterf---- and the player can still have a challenge if evil and not have a slog if good. There is a lot that goes into balancing.

Burlini's Avatar Libertus

Mordor's recruitment capabilities of great beasts should be nerfed. at the late game every stack of Mordor includes at least one unit of great beasts. they shouldn't be this common, especially since they wreck everything in auto resolve.

I disagree about nerfing Mordor. Reduce the stack spam yes but other than that it's supposed to be the great evil that wants to devour all of Middle earth. If Gondor without the help of anyone else could defeat Mordor what would the purpose be?
    Besides only 4 places if i remember correctly can recruit great beasts every 20 turns or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Burlini View Post
    Mordor's recruitment capabilities of great beasts should be nerfed. at the late game every stack of Mordor includes at least one unit of great beasts. they shouldn't be this common, especially since they wreck everything in auto resolve.
    I agree with that, especially because for balancing AI vs. AI fights it is crucial.
    Last edited by asdfasers; October 08, 2019 at 07:19 AM.

Burlini's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderAdama View Post
    I disagree about nerfing Mordor. Reduce the stack spam yes but other than that it's supposed to be the great evil that wants to devour all of Middle earth. If Gondor without the help of anyone else could defeat Mordor what would the purpose be?
    Besides only 4 places if i remember correctly can recruit great beasts every 20 turns or something?
    Mordor can still be a huge threat without the great beast spam, especially with the huge amounts of troops they can muster and the reduction of garrison troops in the upcoming version. I'm not sure what the precise rate of availability of the great beasts are, but i do know that after turn 120 almost every stack of Mordor that I fight includes one of these wretched creatures and in my opinion that's way too much.

I think the Great Beasts should be removed as a unit.

I know someone worked really hard on them, and I appreciate the DaC Team's efforts, but the unit is unnecessary, especially since Gondor lacks a proper counter to them besides ballistae. Olog-hai already put the auto-resolve in favor of Mordor (a much needed weight, otherwise Mordor would lose almost every auto-resolve), no need for these guys to stack things even more. They're fun to use and they help against the elves, but I don't think that's worth the insane frequency the AI recruits them at.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyPistol View Post
    Gondor lacks a proper counter to them besides ballistae.
    Lebennin Marines wipe out Great Beast with a single volley of javelins.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirundo View Post
    Lebennin Marines wipe out Great Beast with a single volley of javelins.
    I see this claim a lot, but that's never happened with me even with a flank attack. Unless of course this is under the assumption of a 3 vs 1 ratio, in which case that means the Marines take up more army slots than they should just to deal with a multi-hit point unit that usually appear by the pair.