Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Barcid Revenge Submod - Updates for the next patch

Default Barcid Revenge Submod - Updates for the next patch

To all the loyal fans of my submod and current Carthaginian fans, I have decided to show you some of the next ideas for the patch of the Barcid submod that will be released once the next version of EBII is released to the public.

A Carthaginian military triumph - We don't know very well how the Carthaginians celebrated their military victories but we do have some info about it, especially about Hamilcar celebrating in Carthage after his victory during the Mercenary War. So, what I did was: A Carthaginian General that has an heroic victory will have chances of getting a new ancillary that represents spoils of victory but also the right to celebrate in Carthage. After that, he will have to go to Carthage but only when Carthage is finally at peace state. When he arrives near Carthage he will then loose the ancillary and a nice historic event will appear (with some text to read and an image), I'm also planning on adding a specific music for that moment.

Hasdrubal and Mago Barca - These two Hannibal brothers will also appear during the campaign, near the Iberian Kart-Hadast and with unique portraits. You will now be able to gather the three military leaders and take the war to Rome!

Massinisa or Syphax - You will get a choice event where you will have to decide which General you want to ally with. Whatever you decide, one of them will become your General with a Numidian BG and the other will appear as a rebel General with a very large Numidian army, ready to make war on you.

More Portraits - I keep working on this project too and currently I have added around 300 new portraits. This time it also includes the Celtic factions, which from their 80 and something EBII portraits they had, for the moment, 53 portraits have been replaced (around 80 new if you count the young and old portraits), so you will see a lot of new and nice looking portraits. Carthage, Numidia, the Western Greek factions, and the Iberian factions also have a lot of new portraits. A very important decision was that I removed the reenactors portraits, so that you won't see anymore the too realistic human portraits. There are still some of those portraits but they are really a minority now.

There are also a great number of new traits, ancillaries and events that I have been working with the team and may be present in the next patch that will add a lot more flavour to Carthage and some will also be for all factions, so enjoy the waiting

Default Re: Barcid Revenge Submod - Updates for the next patch

Looking forward to giving it a try come next patch
    Mouzafphaerre, aka Urwendur, Urwendil...

I enjoyed reading about these upcoming changes. Thank you for your efforts, Lusitanio.

Nice work

Carthage is not one of my favorit factions, but this seems to be a very interesting submod. And it makes me want to try it.

I think that when it will be released and when the french translation of carthaginian traits will be finished, I will work on a french patch for this submod.

Thanks guys!

The military triumph is already in the game but I'm looking for a nice sound effect to play when you get the event. Nothing too fancy but something that simulates a city festival or people celebrating.

I already have the portraits and bios for Hannibal, Hasdrubaal and Mago ready and I'm currently trying to put them in the game, but it's crashing my game, so I will have to figure out what is the problem.

About the portraits, I've added some from Rome II DEI mod with the permission of one of their leaders, Dresden. DEI portraits will be mostly featured on the rebel spawns. Let me explain. As Quintus said some time ago, the rebel spawn has been changed (improved a lot from what was before) and the rebels spawn with a General commanding them which makes them a lot more agressive. However, the Generals require a portrait which is given in the custom portraits section of the mod. Since this does not require cultures, I can put whatever portrait I want, which will allow me to put accurate portraits for specific regions, for example, the rebel spawns in Meroe will have Generals with black portraits from Meroe units in DEI.

In some parts I will include some "what if scenarios", for example, I'm going to create some new ancillaries to represent the General command of all the military forces in a certain region. There will be one for Africa, another for Iberia, another for Sardinia, Sicily, Italy, and possibly Gaul, Greece, Egypt and the east. These ancillaries won't give them bonus similar to the main and secondary generals but they will remove the maulus given when a General is not supported by the soldiers and possibly give him +1 Influence as well +1 Law. I'm basing this idea on the fact that Hamilcar, Hasdrubal and later Hannibal were commanders of all forces in Iberia for all those years despite Carthage not being at war. Other examples can be found in the First and Second Punic war. This doesn't mean that they are the main or secondary Generals (they can still try to obtain them if they want), but it means that they are responsible for patroling and make sure the territory they guard is safe from dangers which is now a lot more important due to the bigger rebel spawns.

The three brothers are now in the game, you can see here in a test that I did: https://imgur.com/a/wIUf1hu

My doubts for now are on which levels of traits I should give them, since I want them to be good commanders but not too op and the names, would it be better Mago or Magon? Hasdrubaal or Azrubaal? And Barca or Barak as it seems to be the old hebrew name for lightning.

The correct names from a Punic point of view are Magon, Hasdrubaal and Hannibaal.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Good stuff anything that adds to the immersion is great with me. Well done, looks great. Wish there were a few devoted Seleukids like you about

Quote Originally Posted by Trarco View Post
    The correct names from a Punic point of view are Magon, Hasdrubaal and Hannibaal.
    Thanks Trarco! I will change it.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiokhos Euergetes View Post
    Good stuff anything that adds to the immersion is great with me. Well done, looks great. Wish there were a few devoted Seleukids like you about
    Thanks! I will add plenty of stuff to the game, I'm only waiting for the team to release the next patch so that I can update it with all the new stuff

But waiting also has good things, because I'm planning on adding a Punic Archer to the game and possibly a Roman citizen milita unit. These two units wouldn't be recruitable but would appear when you assaulted a city. Like the current garrison script in TATW DAC. I'm thinking on something like 1 Punic Archer for Large Towns, 2 for Cities, 3 for Large Cities and 4 for Huge Cities.

Thank you for your continued efforts, Lusitanio. I like the idea of a form of garrison script. I wonder why this has not been added so far, or, perhaps it has, but only in certain conditions? Although my knowledge is modest, I recall a few times in historical literature where towns people were called upon to serve as an emergency militia.

It's actually very easy to explain why it hasn't been added. Basically the team has a limited amount of units they can put in the game (only 500) so the priority is always to place units that will be recruitable in the game and seen a lot more. Because what this script does is creating the units inside the city when the battle begins and deleting the units after the battle, so that the player or the AI doesn't get additional units, but on doing this, the script deletes all the units of that type. So imagine if you had recruited some of those units, they would also disappear.
    However, I think that it would be worth adding this types of units and it wouldn't fill many units slots. Let's say the Punic Archers for Carthage, Rome and all the Greek factions could share the same unit, something called citizens defenders, they would be a very light unit and would have different textures to make them different from faction to faction. I mean, even Carthage could have that unit too with different textures.

The Iberian and Celtic factions could have another unit, then the eastern factions could have something different too.

We probably would only need around 5 unit slots to cover all the campaign, which isn't much.

Roman invasion of Africa and the Mercenary War will come soon here!

Carthage's Mercenary War is now almost finished: https://imgur.com/a/kLf8cPd

wow that looks very interesting! Are you planning on adding events like these for other factions? Maybe the Macedonian Wars ? or the Syrian Wars (Seleucids- Rome, maybe an event called "Aitolian Embassy" for the Seleucid Player if/ when Rome conquers Makedonia/ Greece )? Or the Euthydemic revolt in Baktria.

Reading these updates makes a pleasing start to the day. Thank you for your efforts, Lusitanio.

Thanks guys! I was surprised to see that this thread was moved to the submod thread. In one way it makes sense but my idea of placing it in the main thread was so that every EBII fan could see the new ideas for a fun campaign, now it will be a bit more restricted.

Anyway, antiochos the reason I'm adding these events for Carthage is because it's the faction I like the most and the one that I know better the history. It's difficult to do these events because they require a lot of playtesting, I need to know what units to spawn, when and where so it would be very hard to do events for other factions because I wouldn't know their history.

This is the subform for submods. There are no exceptions to that, even my own submod is here.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    This is the subform for submods. There are no exceptions to that, even my own submod is here.
    Yeah, it kinda makes sense.

Anyway, the first punic war events and the mercenary war are all finished. The war for Sicily between Carthage and Rome will now be a true challenge with plenty of battles in Sicily and a Roman invasion of Africa. After you finish the war, the Mercenary War will start and occupy you for the next turns.
    I'm planning on using Maltacus units cards for the rebels and there are plans to create different textures for the Libyan Hoplites and the LibyPhoenician Hoplites when they belong to the rebels, so that you get a better feeling that you're fighting different soldiers, I mean, rebel or native Libyans that were not armed by Carthage. They will use images from the Libyan revolt coins which include a Lion, a Bull and grain. Since I discussed the unit looks with Trarco, hopefully they can be included in EBII official version.

Another thing that I never spoke are the new disaster events for EBII

These are events like fire that damages the wall of your cities, takes money from you and have a very nice visual and sound effect on the campaign map, the plague which will happen a bit more frequently in the Carthaginian homelands as well in Syracuse and will deplete your main recruitment pools, a storm disaster that affects Carthage's port which will require you to repair the port if you want to recruit ships, and probably I will also include a general storm event that effects all the ships in the sea killing "ships" (in a 100 man ship, it usually kills 4 soldiers) and has chances of killing the Admirals too.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

I really hope this gets included in the EB2 base game!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast