Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has any western country actually reduced immigration in a significant way recently?

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Has any western country actually reduced immigration in a significant way recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Settra View Post
    A better question would be: has any western country made any genuine serious effort to reduce immigration?
    My country (spain) has agreements with the countries from which African illegal immigrants come (specially with morocco), all possible police surveillance and a wall as sophisticated as barbarian (covered with special barbed wire). What else do you want?

Melilla border fence.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by mishkin; October 30, 2019 at 02:17 PM.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Default Re: Has any western country actually reduced immigration in a significant way recently?

I don't want anything however my point is that western countries aren't really interested in stopping immigration outright. And you have given the perfect example with Spain. Static prevention methods are usually just for show as they come at the cost of active prevention methods. Border walls and fences are used by countries which want to be seen fighting illegal immigration while not actually doing anything. A country which is serious about it does not build fences but employs a large number of border patrols, funnels traffic into easily controlled areas and performs complex checks on people and cargo moving in an out.

Spain does not do that. Spain built a wall to mask the absence of border patrols to stop people from climbing them.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12