Thread: One question about Rome II...

Default One question about Rome II...

So I never bought Rome II, but was intrigued when the saw the Spartan edition for 10 bucks. The game seems to have improved a lot, and there is even a Family Tree now. However, there was one thing about Total Warhammer (the only other TW game I've ever bought besides RTW) that made me stop playing: Units would stand still and do nothing after they defeated another unit. That led to a huge amount of unnecessary micro, especially if a unit reformed, then broke, only to reform again, ect...

In the original RTW units would only do that if they were in guard mode. If they defeated another unit when they weren't in guard mode, they relentlessly chase it down, preventing it from reforming.

So what do units do when they defeat another unit in Rome II... Do units chase down units they them defeat unless they are in the guard mode?
    Last edited by Fallen851; September 26, 2019 at 07:59 PM.

Default Re: One question about Rome II...

Yes. Rome 2 also has Guard mode as an option.

Thanks!

No, they don't chase units down as in previous titles. This really bothered me in Rome 2's battles, though it's present in Shogun 2 as well due to the glitchy combat. Once the enemy pulls back or routs, your men will stand there.
    Guard Mode was added in an update (i.e., was not part of the base game), so it doesn't function properly. Rather than staying in formation when attacked, as Guard Mode does in previous titles, they'll instead curve around the entire formation to face their foe...hilarious...annoying...awful.

Final note: the Family Tree was just as much an after-thought as Guard Mode. It doesn't fit with the game. Characters are an endless stream which live and die in quick succession. There's almost no reason to pay attention to the Family Tree, and the though there's many things you can do with it, none of them are meaningful, and most of them are very specific in usage and requirements to even be used.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen851 View Post
    In the original RTW units would only do that if they were in guard mode. If they defeated another unit when they weren't in guard mode, they relentlessly chase it down, preventing it from reforming.

So what do units do when they defeat another unit in Rome II... Do units chase down units they them defeat unless they are in the guard mode?
    I tested this using a custom battle. I had a Roman legatus general and four Veteran Legionaries, my AI Arverni opponent had an Oathsworn general and four Celtic Warriors. Obviously, that's unbalanced in my favour, which was the whole point, as I was testing how my Veteran Legionaries would behave when the Celtic Warriors ran.

I chose the following settings:
    One Legionary unit had both formation attack and guard mode turned on
    One Legionary unit had formation attack on and guard mode off
    One Legionary unit had formation attack off and guard mode on
    For the fourth unit, both formation attack and guard mode were off

Each Legionary unit was ordered order to attack a different unit of Celtic Warriors. The Legionaries with guard mode on didn't pursue their enemies when they ran (if we hover the cursor over the guard mode button, the in-game text tells us that this is what guard mode does). The Legionaries with guard mode off did pursue their enemies. (Turning formation attack on or off didn't affect this).

This test was done using Rome II with the Ancestral update (patch 20) and no mods, if you're using a different update or mods you might see a different result.

This suggests that yes, units chase down enemies they defeat, if your unit was ordered to attack the fleeing unit, unless your unit is in guard mode.
    Last edited by Alwyn; September 29, 2019 at 03:21 AM.

Carmen Sylva's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I tested this using a custom battle. I had a Roman legatus general and four Veteran Legionaries, my AI Arverni opponent had an Oathsworn general and four Celtic Warriors. Obviously, that's unbalanced in my favour, which was the whole point, as I was testing how my Veteran Legionaries would behave when the Celtic Warriors ran.

I chose the following settings:
    One Legionary unit had both formation attack and guard mode turned on
    One Legionary unit had formation attack on and guard mode off
    One Legionary unit had formation attack off and guard mode on
    For the fourth unit, both formation attack and guard mode were off

Each Legionary unit was ordered order to attack a different unit of Celtic Warriors. The Legionaries with guard mode on didn't pursue their enemies when they ran (if we hover the cursor over the guard mode button, the in-game text tells us that this is what guard mode does). The Legionaries with guard mode off did pursue their enemies. (Turning formation attack on or off didn't affect this).

This test was done using Rome II with the Ancestral update (patch 20) and no mods, if you're using a different update or mods you might see a different result.

This suggests that yes, units chase down enemies they defeat, if your unit was ordered to attack the fleeing unit, unless your unit is in guard mode.
    Exactly my observation and a great addition. It works properly.