Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: - Report Bugs & Errors -

Default Re: - Report Bugs & Errors -

Hi, thanks for the support!

Yes, I have installed your patch. I attach the save file. See the Ostrogoths AI Army that besieges Campus Gepidi (my Slavic settlement).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MarcoAurelio82; May 05, 2022 at 07:25 AM.

A quick update about the bug: the same unit under Eastern Roman Empire control it doesn't crash (the game works). So probably the bug has been resolved only when this gothic cavalry unit is under Eastern Roman Empire control (I wonder if something similar in theory can happens also with Elite Roman Archers: probably not, because I don't think they are recruitable by other factions, but it should be checked).

No, the patch is supposed to fix every version of that unit, no matter what faction has recruited it. I loaded the battle without any problems, which means that the edited file works as intended in my computer. I suspect that the uploaded patch must have been corrupted, but I don't know what causes that and how to fix that permanently. I'll ask an experienced modder and if a solution is found, I'll reupload the file. In the meantime, I played the battle and broke the siege. Not a particularly impressive victory and the enemy commander escaped, but at least you can now continue your campaign.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Hi, thanks for your time and your quick reply. I had already passed that point with an auto-solve battle having a reinforcement army near the settlement. I don't have specified this fact because I have considered it secondary: the bug is the main point. Could you upload here an attachment with your file patched? I would understand if it works for me or not (anyway I confirm that I had downloaded and overwritten your file before to play). Here I attach a screenshot with the error message.

The fact that this unit works (for me) only in the Eastern Roman Empire it's the more weird thing, in my opinion (I mean the fact that the same unit for me it works only in that case). I have a completely clean installation of RTW (patched to the more recent version) on Steam, and I have only this mod installed (moreover it's a mod-foldered mod). So it's not a problem of corrupt installation. I add this info just for completeness.
    I have also experimented a bit: the message requires a ".tif file" so I have converted the .DDS file in a .tif file, adding it to that folder (without to delete the original file). Well: no more message, just the game crash. I was sure it wasn't the solution because there aren't .tif files in that folder: I have tried just for curiosity.
    Last edited by MarcoAurelio82; May 05, 2022 at 07:32 PM.

Update: I have corrected on my own for the Ostrogoths (playing with Slavs there are many battles against Ostrogoths so it was important to try something). I don't have yet played all the battle, but I have entered inside the battle without problems: I mean a new battle against Ostrogoths with that cavalry unit present, but also my old save file (the uploaded one) now it works. In "Descr_model_battle" file I have found this unit (using the error message keywords):

"type gothic_lancer_datoyan_lancer"

Then, in the right place (in different sections of this unit), I have added these two text lines:

texture ostrogoths, ibrr/data/models_unit/textures/Gaiiten_unit_datoyan_asavaran_lancer_D.tga
    model_sprite ostrogoths, 60.0,ibrr/data/sprites/sassanids_gothic_lancer_datoyan_lancer_sprite.spr

In other words, these text lines were not present for the Ostrogoths (so I have added them).
    Now, two doubts:
    1) For the Ostrogoths is better to use "Gaiiten_unit_datoyan_asavaran_lancer_D" (and the relative sprite) like I have done, or "Gaiiten_unit_visigoth_lancer_D2", or "Gaiiten_unit_kartli_noble_cavalry_D2" (this is the merc version)?
    2) I wonder the why with the merc version of this unit the game was crashed (I don't know how it behaves after the fix: I don't have tested it yet), considering that the text line for the mercenary (merc) unit is present in the file. UPDATE about this point: I have tested that the merc unit is still bugged, even setting another DDS and/or sprite file in text lines of the merc unit (not a surprise, considering that the text line for the merc unit was already present).
    Last edited by MarcoAurelio82; May 06, 2022 at 09:14 AM.

Well done! What really baffles me is how I managed to load and play the battle against the Ostrogoths without any problem at all. My file doesn't include the line about the Ostrogoths you added, but I didn't experience any crash, anyway... It's essentially the same thing with your second question. In Rome I, I don't think you need to cover every possible faction, and yet you solved the problem by adding that line about the Ostrogoths. Really confusing! Anyway, as for your first question, I chose the datoyan asavaran model randomly. It does look a bit out of place (Iranian cataphracts in an unarmoured unit of Gothic cavalry). The most thematic options seems to be the Visigoth lancer. You can test it and, if it doesn't work, you can always revert back to the Datoyans.

Hi, and thanks. Yes, it's a weird situation.
    Are you one of the modders of this mod? In this case there is a (small) possibility that you have installed a more recent/correct version of the .CAS, .DDS and/or .spr files of the mod: something that is not in the mod installer (I mean that the installer could contain a more old version of them). Another possible problem is the language (something inside these files with a name that contains an "exotic" accent/character" not suitable for all the language versions of the game: pure hypothesis). Another hypothesis is a different behaviour with different versions/platforms: are you play with Steam?

What is the "kartli_noble_cavalry_D2" (the merc unit version) aspect? I ask because the game crashes with the merc unit, so I don't know it.
    UPDATE: I have seen "kartli_noble_cavalry_D2" using it for the Ostrogoths (it works well) : it seems good for this faction (in this way is different from the Visigoths). Honestly the "Gaiiten_unit_datoyan_asavaran_lancer_D" it seems a bit unrealistic also for the eastern factions: the men are heavy armored and the horses are totally unprotected: a bit weird (it's just my impression, just to talk about it).
    Last edited by MarcoAurelio82; May 06, 2022 at 10:10 AM.

No, I'm just a regular player who also suffered from that bug and, because it would be a real pity to lose my campaign, I messed up with the files and, almost accidentally, fixed the issue. I'm clueless about modding, only thing I had some experience doing was editing the name files in notepad. You are absolutely right about the Datoyan Asavaran, but I think that's because the file editing only affects the soldier and not his mount. So, you have a heavily armoured knight from Armenia, but his mount remains a regular, unarmoured gothic horse. Our mod files must be completely identical, besides the desc_name file, which I have edited to fit my personal tastes (basically replaced the vanilla names with proper Persian ones). My keyboard also includes the French language, but I would be very surprised if either of these particularities affect the game. Anyway, I will edit again the file again and add the two Ostrogothic lines, like you did. If that works well and no crashes happen, I'll just update the patch and cross fingers that it will now work for everyone!

Honestly I don't know: Merc unit is still bugged, so I have added a columns identical (identical to the ones for Ostrogoths) for the Slavs because I play with the Slavs and now I can play with the mercenary unit without game crashes. Then, I have started a new game with Longobards and after some turns this merc unit was available in Sciriii region: I have recluted it and before battle I have the same bug crush: I suspect that adding the Longobards (after Ostrogoths and Slavs) text lines the merc unit will work also for Longobards, but this is not a real solution for all users (every faction must be added in order to let work this merc unit).
    I also ask myself: it was the mercenary unit that was inside the AI Ostrogoths Army, or the regular unit? I really suspect it was the mercenary unit: if it's in this way, this is the why it works with my workaround (for the Ostrogoths). At this point it should be better for me to see the org (modded) file to understand the differences with your file: the merc unit is totally bugged (also the UI doesn't work properly). I will check the original file to understand your changes, then I will add info here. For now, my best solution is to erase the merc unit from the units available: this unit, as merc unit, is recruitable only in five regions (I have checked this), but, as I have said, I will take a look to the original (modded by modders) file.
    Last edited by MarcoAurelio82; May 06, 2022 at 03:28 PM.

Just checked: the "gothic_lancer_datoyan_lancer" unit is identical in both files (org file of the modders, and your file), so you have modified something different, I suppose. Or the file I have downloaded (the patch) is identical to the old one (that is it's the wrong file). I don't know. I would like to know how your file is about the strings (text lines) of this cavalry unit (I would like to understand if this unit it's really identical to the one in the original file of the modders), and what you have modified in the file to fix the gothic cavalry.
    Last edited by MarcoAurelio82; May 06, 2022 at 03:54 PM.

I honestly don't even remember. I thought it was the gothic heavy cavalry and the Roman elite archers, but I'm not sure anymore. Here's the file, it should be identical with the "patch".

Can anyone reproduce the error and CTD right after the Alemmani battle? I was enjoying this mod working flawlessly for long, but now I have an unavoidable error just after it.
    I did not activate any script and I downloaded the small fix.
    EDIT: strange, I loaded the save again today and it worked fine, after about 10 failed attempts yesterday.
    Last edited by Aquila SPQR; May 07, 2022 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    I honestly don't even remember. I thought it was the gothic heavy cavalry and the Roman elite archers, but I'm not sure anymore. Here's the file, it should be identical with the "patch".
    Yes: the file you have uploaded is identical to your patch file (and to the original modders file) about those text lines of that unit, and I have the crash bug also with this file. Are you play with Steam or with the CD version? I ask you to understand if we play with different platforms. And in your opinion/experience, AI recruits mercenary units inside its armies?
    Anyway, the most weird thing about this bug (gothic cavalry, probably only merc unit) is the fact that for you the game works and for me not, without to add every faction text lines to that unit.

Correction for the modders
    : in IBBR\Data\text folder open "export_unit" file and find "Scirii Spearmen" unit, then change the text inside curly brackets in this way:
    {scirii_spearman_descr}
    {scirii_spearman_descr_short}

In this way the name of this unit and the relative text description will be visible in the game (without this correction there is written something like: "unlocated text placement" both for the name of this unit and its description).

More in general, two years ago I have reported bugs and suggestions after having played with an eastern faction, both here and (previously) in the downolad thread (I started to report bugs there, before to see this thread). I'm not sure if modders still visit this pages, but I hope someone read (Lol).
    Last edited by MarcoAurelio82; May 07, 2022 at 06:22 AM.

Now I'm getting a "runtime error pure virtual function call" whenever I take the rebel Croton.

Hi there,

found an error or bug on loading battle screen. Whenever I am attacked by a certain Sassanid army with many War Elephants in my campaign with the Western Romans, the game hangs up in the loading screen. No error message.
    Simply click on End Round and you will be attacked by the corresponding army.

What strikes me the most in this thread (namely the last months) is the absence of the mod developers. Hope Gäiten and Joar are ok and show up some day.

The mod is old, people mostly play newer games. I'm a M2TW player mostly as well, but since IB for M2TW is still not finished I play this. I'm more surprised that even after so many years there are still bugs in this mod. Right now I have a bug that makes me have Croton as a rebel city forever, since every time I capture it I have an unavoidable error. Not fun at all.

EDIT: oh, lol. I've just realized I can bribe that city. No error, can continue.
    EDIT2: so the error returned, this time when I capture Berber city. Runtime error, "pure virtual function call". It was working so fine and now it's bugged like hell.
    Last edited by Aquila SPQR; May 08, 2022 at 07:16 PM.

Yeah, the Alamanni siege also loaded without any issues. Sometimes the game crashes for some mysterious reason, but, for some mysterious reason, it then works normally. From my experience it happens very often in the easternmost regions, especially in India. Sadly I have no idea about the second bug you mention. Perhaps the file has been corrupted?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hüter der Haine View Post
    Hi there,

found an error or bug on loading battle screen. Whenever I am attacked by a certain Sassanid army with many War Elephants in my campaign with the Western Romans, the game hangs up in the loading screen. No error message.
    Simply click on End Round and you will be attacked by the corresponding army.
    The anti-virus doesn't allow me to download the save file. Can you upload it directly to TWC? It sounds very weird, though, I have never experienced a similar bug.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoAurelio82 View Post
    Yes: the file you have uploaded is identical to your patch file (and to the original modders file) about those text lines of that unit, and I have the crash bug also with this file. Are you play with Steam or with the CD version? I ask you to understand if we play with different platforms. And in your opinion/experience, AI recruits mercenary units inside its armies?
    Anyway, the most weird thing about this bug (gothic cavalry, probably only merc unit) is the fact that for you the game works and for me not, without to add every faction text lines to that unit.

Correction for the modders
    : in IBBR\Data\text folder open "export_unit" file and find "Scirii Spearmen" unit, then change the text inside curly brackets in this way:
    {scirii_spearman_descr}
    {scirii_spearman_descr_short}

In this way the name of this unit and the relative text description will be visible in the game (without this correction there is written something like: "unlocated text placement" both for the name of this unit and its description).

More in general, two years ago I have reported bugs and suggestions after having played with an eastern faction, both here and (previously) in the downolad thread (I started to report bugs there, before to see this thread). I'm not sure if modders still visit this pages, but I hope someone read (Lol).
    I edited the two lines and the game still works perfectly, so I now updated the patch with your additions. I also use Steam, but I have messed a bit with the file-path (the Steam folder is inserted into the log folder of an external hard drive. Not sure if that plays any role. From my experience, the AI tends to recruit mercenaries. It depends on what their financial capacities are and whether they are desperate for new troops or not, but, in this specific mod, the recruitment of mercenaries is very advantageous. In my Persian campaign where I conquered all the map, the absolute majority of my armies and garrisons was composed of mercenaries, because they are instantly available and include elite units as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post

The anti-virus doesn't allow me to download the save file. Can you upload it directly to TWC? It sounds very weird, though, I have never experienced a similar bug.
    sorry, i canßt do this. Every time it says my savegame is a virus.

A long report (I like first RTW and this mod, Lol).

Bugs report
    :

- Constant crush bug in winter 529 AD (AI turn), playing with Slavs, during free people turn. I report the year because the first time I thought it was related to a rebellion in Edessa (occupied by my army in a “particular way” after a battle, during AI turn, without player choice about the fate of the city) : I have returned back two years and no rebellions were set the second time. Not sure if the problem is about free people (there are only two settlements of them: Tribus Dahae and Muscat), or my faction new turn that starts. Muscat is showed on screen during the crush, but there are no fights there. I attach a savegame file in the next comment.

- Tindouf city is always visible (without having agents/troops near it; I play with Slavs).

Corrections for the modders:

Region names correction:

Fanci Ripuarii Franks - Francorum Ripuarii

Fancorum Salii Francs - Francorum Salii (please note also the "r" missing in "Francorum" in the org name)

City names correction:

Aureliani - Aurelia (or "Aurelianum" in vulgar language, but officially "Aurelia"; today it's Orléans city).

Arleate - Arelate (probably it's a typo due to the more similarity with "Arles")

Salamantica - Salmantica (in Latin is in this way)

Caesarea - Caesarea Maritima (I refer to the city in Palestine; it's totally correct and it's a good way to distinguish it in a better way from Caesarea in Cappadocia)

Rome - Roma (it's all in Latin, why Rome in English? Lol)

Suggestions for the modders:

- the map with victory objectives of a faction (inside the game) should be updated for many factions, as well as the “faction destroyed” info (if an animated video it’s too long/difficult to do, it’s good also a simple graphic image).

- Regions names suggestion:
    There are 3 regions all named "Lusitania". One of them, the one with the Olisopo city, should remain "Lusitania", about the other two, I suggest:

{Lusitania} Lusitania Interior (the city is Emerita Augusta)
    {Lusitania_III} Lusitania Superior (the city is Salamantica, that should be corrected in "Salmantica", as I have reported)

In both cases, in the org file, it says (of course) only "Lusitania".

About the mod
    I have read that an user has said that the mod is old: actually the mod is new. It has been released in 2019 and in my opinion is the best of the Invasiom Barbarorum series. With the premise that I have played only 5 of the 7 IB mods that I see here, Rvina Romae is for me the best for two reasons: all IB mods are beautiful and full of features, but this one: 1) It doesn’t have game-breaking bugs (example: in IB-SAI mod I had found a constant crush bug about an horse archer unit: I was able to correct it by myself, and few turns later I found another game breaking bug caused by another unit, stop playing the mod: I played with Eastern Roman Empire or Sassanids, I don’t remember, but the area involved was the west part of the middle-east) and, at the same time, 2) it presents a perfect gameplay set by modders (for example, in this mod the number and type of units that are recruitable in 0, 1 or 2 turns are perfectly set, in my opinion, enhancing the game experience; moreover, also the building section seems to me better than other IB mods for more than one reason). No surprise that this mod is so refined in many aspects: it’s the most recent, so I suppose that previous experiences have been taken into account.

About the first RTW
    :
    It’s the best TW game in my opinion. Both because I prefer Rome period and for the gameplay. RTW 2 is boring for me: there is no possible comparison. Yes, modern graphics and so on, but so boring while I play. The First RTW is the best about gameplay, in my opinion. The bug "it's not possible to ask for an alliance to a faction caused by factions that have been eliminated, due to their alliance / war status at the time of their destruction” is for sure a problem, like the dead elephants obstacles, and the AI of course is not perfect, but for the rest (in my opinion) is a gem compared to the new TW games engine. I think it’s not a coincidence that even the authors have thought to release a remastered edition.
    Last edited by MarcoAurelio82; May 31, 2022 at 08:14 AM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast