Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: - Download links & Installation -

Default Re: RELEASED: RVINA ROMAE

thank you for great mod

Hi guys, This is both a feedback and a bug report about this beautiful mod.
    Considering you have told me that the mod is well focused also about eastern factions (and I agree with this choice), I have chosen to play with the Kushano-Kidarites faction.
    1) General considerations: - I love all the new graphic stuff: both in strategic map (buildings, ancillaries, general portraits, etc.) and battle maps. - I really like how the player is engaged playing with this faction: in the north, the Hephthalites attack with their hordes; in south and east the player faces the infinite Persian armies. I also like the choice to full the cities/armies of excellent warriors: beautiful battles can be played while cities buildings grow. - My campaign: I have underestimated the Hephthalites hordes: with my spy I had seen only five armies, but they have been reveled to be the double. For this reason, and for the reason that, as strategy, I have chosen to engage 90% of my armies against the Persians, I am in trouble in the north: I have lost a city and another one is under siege, but thanks to the bridge defense near Panchekanth, I have destroyed 3 of their armies before the retreat (with very decimated troops). More in south, on the brigde north of Taksasila, I have destroyed only 1 army and a half of another one before a crushing defeat. About Persians, usually I encounter armies of various types: I have obtained many good victories against them, but also several “Pyrrhic victories” and some clear defeats. Anyway, considering that I have concentrated my troops against them, I have conquered many of their cities: my plan, not yet realized, is to arrest the advance and regroup only when I will reach a front line that goes from Gurgan (or Amol) in the north to Persisin the south. Not rarely they have delayed/complicated my plans, because many new and fresh armies continue to arrive; I have two inner regions still in their hands (one of them very difficult to conquer), and in the north they conserve also the Jaxartes region (surprisingly, the Hephthalites have concluded a peace with them). Speaking more in general about my strategy, I have chosen to attack them in masse because they were too strong ant too big (as empire) : in my opinion, it would have been a suicide choice to do a defensive strategy, waiting the grow and development of my cities/armies. About battles, I suppose that the main merit it’s of BI.exe (or you have worked also on this aspect?), but I must say that I have seen good defense IA strategies and decent attack strategies (in some occasions they have also attacked my army in both flanks).

2) Specific considerations and questions:
    - Sometime I have fought against (Persian) infantry and cavalry units that they seemed almost immortal (but in many occasions I have finally defeated them, after long battles and heavy losses) : in many cases I have considered it normal considering their base heavy equipment and their blacksmith/experience upgrades, but in some occasions it has been weird. With the premise that I know attacking them from behind with archers is a good tactic, and letting go of the fact (which is not secondary) that heavy equipment means also more fatigue (that it also affects morale), I have to report that in one occasion I have seen a Persian unit of heavy infantry to wipe out 4 medium and heavy cavalry units and 4 medium and light infantry units, fighting continuously and for a very long time, without its moral being reduced despite being surrounded, and despite many other enemy units were on the run: could be bug? Unfortunately I don’t remember the name of that unit.
    - Considering the game engine limit of 20 factions (no Saxons, Picts and Romano-british), I understand the why Ireland and Britain are full of trees, but it’s anyway weird to see: there isn’t an impassable terrain to code on the these islands (it’s sufficient to code it on the borders)?
    - Personally I totally agree with the choice to take more attention to the eastern factions, sacrificing something in the west (and the Britain zone it’s the more logic choice: well done). It’s a big difference with Flagellum Dei and I can play IBFD for a mod more west factions focused.
    - “Terra incognita” works like “Eremos” in EB and I consider it a very good choice. Just two notes: half of Farghana region (the north part) and most part of the Scandinavia region should be “terra incognita”: it has no sense that by conquering “Tribus Saxones” city you conquer even all the Scandinavia.
    - More in general about strategic map: I’m one of the persons that likes both EB and vanilla stratmap styles (of course the strategic map of your mod it’s not the default one: I mean the graphic style, the textures). I have only doubts about the following things: trees distribution in Scytia (they seem the hedges of a maze); the city models (they are few realistic);wilderness always colored in desert style in Ariana regions (north of Gedrosia), and always speaking about about Ariana regions, also in battles there is never vegetation (only arid plains and hills: they are ok, but there are also other terrains in these regions).
    - I don’t have a full understanding of the military system:
    A. Archery Field building is for all the archers units? I mean: this building can be upgraded to Catapult Range: it’s sufficient to do this to recruit also all regional archers troops?
    B. About cavalry: cavalry stables (generic faction troops) + Estates (regional troops) = all cavalry units, right?
    C. Fort, with its upgrades, it produces infantry units (and slingers) : it can produce also élite/heavy infantry, or there are other structures for them?

3) Bug report: - The Kushano-Kidarites faction heir is named as “Armenian Heir”. - In two-three occasions I have encountered constant CtD in IA turn after have won against an army supported by a city garrison army: the crash occurred after I had pushed the button of city fate (the classic three options available). It didn’t happen with the automatic resolution of the same battles (they were again victories, so I chose the city destiny also in this case: no CtD), but I’m totally sure it’s not RAM related (there aren’t big battles; I reloaded the game several time etc.).
    - In battle map, one cavalry unit is marked as “missile cavalry”, but it hasn’t javelins or bows (it’s a classic heavy cavalry to charge the enemy). I don’t remember the unit name, but it was a long and exotic name, and the unit is present in starting units of Kushano-Kidarites faction.
    - The overview map shows that I must conquer Britain and the north of the France (I’m playing with Kushano-Kidarites faction).
    - Considering that the mod is 4 turns per year, you can use the definition “Summer, Spring or Fall” instead of always and only “Summer” for the three turns. - In some regions, in the Fort and in the Archery Field description about units available, I see two times the same troops name (“Eastern foot Archers”, “Tribal Javelinmen, “Tribal Levy Spearmen”).
    - In battle map, there is a specific infantry unit (I don’t remember its name: I will report which unit is in the following days/weeks) that, when you click on it, you hear “Triari” (the Roman ancient spearmen unit) instead of a generic name. - Scripts must be fixed (but you already know this). That’s all. If I will find more bugs, I will report them. Sorry if I have wrote too much, and thanks again for this great mod!

I had formatted the text in a different way: when you see "-", usually it's a new argument. The weird thing is that I can't correct/modify my posts on this site. Sorry if it's more difficult to read it in this way.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoAurelio82 View Post
    I had formatted the text in a different way: when you see "-", usually it's a new argument. The weird thing is that I can't correct/modify my posts on this site. Sorry if it's more difficult to read it in this way.
    You can only modify your post after you have 20 or 25 posts, I don't remember the exact number

Default RELEASED: RVINA ROMAE

I've been having four issues:

1. The game crashes whenever I try to fight a battle on the campaign map.
    2. In the ERE campaign I started, I started at war with everybody. I'm guessing this isn't supposed to be the case.
    3. Whenever I try to do anything in campaign the adviser pops up.
    4. The campaign map is incredi

Any tips? Since this is the first mod I've tried to install I'm guessing I must've screwed up the install somehow. I've got the steam version if that helps.

#4 meant to say that the campaign map was buggy but I found a fix. Please ignore that one.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; October 18, 2019 at 03:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    You can only modify your post after you have 20 or 25 posts, I don't remember the exact number

Quote Originally Posted by Flavius Theodosius Augustus View Post
    I've been having four issues:

1. The game crashes whenever I try to fight a battle on the campaign map.
    2. In the ERE campaign I started, I started at war with everybody. I'm guessing this isn't supposed to be the case.
    3. Whenever I try to do anything in campaign the adviser pops up.
    4. The campaign map is incredi

Any tips? Since this is the first mod I've tried to install I'm guessing I must've screwed up the install somehow. I've got the steam version if that helps.

#4 meant to say that the campaign map was buggy but I found a fix. Please ignore that one.
    1. I have both Steam and regular versions, and I can say that Steam version is “famous” about the following bug that it causes many CtD: if the strategic map resolution screen is different to the battle map resolution screen, you have these CtD. Just an hypothesis (I can’t know if it’s your case).
    2. Yes, here there is a problem also for me (but maybe I’m wrong: modders can reply better). I can’t find nothing of strange about the fact that ERE is in war with 16 (out of 19) factions, with the exception of the 17th, the WRE. In my opinion, the fact that ERE is in war with all the factions mentioned, it has sense only if it is allied with WRE. And, for what I remember, ERE and WRE should be allied also historically speaking.
    3. It’s normal: in theory you should activate the game scripts clicking on one of the buttons below the image (and, always in theory, you should do it every time you start/load a game: it is sufficient to do it one time and the adviser will not return). But, in practice, in this mod one of the script (about the sack of Rome) it corrupts the game, so you must ignore the adviser (that it will continue to pop up: just ignore it).
    4. Strategic map is not buggy, so it could be also an installation issue.

Okay, I've been fiddling with this for about five hours now. I've tried reinstalling the game, reinstalling the mod, redownloading and then installing the freshly downloaded mod, and I cannot get it to work. Almost all the eastern factions are missing unit cards (i.e. no picture of the unit on the card) and whenever I try to play a battle with over 10 units in, it crashes while it loads. All on low everything for graphics and it works perfectly fine in both vanilla RTW and BI, but not in this. I'm at my wit's end. Any and all advice appreciated.

Okay, after experimenting a little more, the crashes only seem to occur when engaging said eastern forces and rebels. Any faction not missing any unit cards doesn't cause any problems.

Okay, I've been fiddling with this for about five hours now. I've tried reinstalling the game, reinstalling the mod, redownloading and then installing the freshly downloaded mod, and I cannot get it to work. Almost all the eastern factions are missing unit cards (i.e. no picture of the unit on the card) and whenever I try to play a battle with over 10 units in, it crashes while it loads. All on low everything for graphics and it works perfectly fine in both vanilla RTW and BI, but not in this. I'm at my wit's end. Any and all advice appreciated.
    The mod is mod-foldered, so it's the most simple installation possible; moreover, Steam auto-patch the game. Have you have followed the installation instruction for steam users?
    I refer to this (I'm going to cite the modder words) :
    "1. Paste your IBRR folder to Steam/SteamApps/common/RomeTotalWar
    2. Go to your Steam Library, right-click RTW and click Properties. Then click Set Launch Options and paste this in: RomeTW-BI.exe -nm -show_err -mod:ibrr and click OK.
    3. When launching the game, be sure to chose the Barbarian Invasion path."

Note that your installation path can be different by the default one if you have moved/shifted the steam library in another place (like in my case; I'm playing the steam version with Windows 10).
    About graphic settings, are you sure you have modified the "preferences" .txt file inside the mod folder in the right way?

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoAurelio82 View Post
    The mod is mod-foldered, so it's the most simple installation possible; moreover, Steam auto-patch the game. Have you have followed the installation instruction for steam users?
    I refer to this (I'm going to cite the modder words) :
    "1. Paste your IBRR folder to Steam/SteamApps/common/RomeTotalWar
    2. Go to your Steam Library, right-click RTW and click Properties. Then click Set Launch Options and paste this in: RomeTW-BI.exe -nm -show_err -mod:ibrr and click OK.
    3. When launching the game, be sure to chose the Barbarian Invasion path."

Note that your installation path can be different by the default one if you have moved/shifted the steam library in another place (like in my case; I'm playing the steam version with Windows 10).
    About graphic settings, are you sure you have modified the "preferences" .txt file inside the mod folder in the right way?
    Yup, I followed it to the letter. I've checked the installation path and it's as it should be. In case it's a problem with my game and steam I tried installing IBFD, but it works fine so I really don't know what to do... As an aside, are any of the factions missing unit cards, i.e. the card is a blank white field? The Sassanian roster is full of them for me.

Yup, I followed it to the letter. I've checked the installation path and it's as it should be. In case it's a problem with my game and steam I tried installing IBFD, but it works fine so I really don't know what to do... As an aside, are any of the factions missing unit cards, i.e. the card is a blank white field? The Sassanian roster is full of them for me.
    If I remember well, there is a game engine limit about how many unit pictures can be showed simultaneously: in vanilla TW they have remained under this limit, but some mods that have many units among factions have surpassed this limit: in battle map, no problems. In strategic map, you can see some blank pictures about UI unit card descriptions (so not about the UI unit cards) : you reach descriptions right clicking with the mouse on the UI unit cards. Moreover, the blank unit pictures “rotate” in a way/logic that I don’t know, but this fact it means that on the same UI unit card you can see the unit card description sometimes yes, sometime not, during the same game. So, if you speak about this, it’s not a bug.
    Anyway I have also started a game with Persian Empire (the Sassanids) : I have seen almost all UI unit cards and UI unit cards descriptions of the faction starting units without to see blank pictures. I hope you don’t refer to the “void cards” with a question mark on them that you see in enemy armies: simply they are info not available (if you do not use the spies, the basic espionage system will provide you with very limited information).

About your many crash problems, I don’t know what to suggest to you (I’m not playing with ERE or Persian empire).

I've figured it out! After running various tests, the game only crashes (so far) when an army has a unit of sagittarii graves in it. As long as I avoid manual battles with armies that have them I should be alright (Out of curiosity is it possible to edit the files to remove them from the roster?).

I've figured it out! After running various tests, the game only crashes (so far) when an army has a unit of sagittarii graves in it. As long as I avoid manual battles with armies that have them I should be alright (Out of curiosity is it possible to edit the files to remove them from the roster?).
    Good find! Gäiten will check this out as soon as he's able.

I would like to let everyone know that both Gäiten and me are struggling with serious health problems, and that's the reason why we occasionally are not so active. But we greatly appreciate all the feedback, and will adress it all as soon as we can.

Quote Originally Posted by Joar View Post
    I would like to let everyone know that both Gäiten and me are struggling with serious health problems
    I wish you and Gäiten get well soon!

I would like to let everyone know that both Gäiten and me are struggling with serious health problems, and that's the reason why we occasionally are not so active. But we greatly appreciate all the feedback, and will adress it all as soon as we can.
    Sorry to hear that But don't rush, your mods are so good that they can be compared to fine wine, the longer, the better
    Hope you and Gäiten's health issues clears out fast.

Cheers!

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Interesting.
    Will check this. Probably designing a new model might be the best solution.

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

I hope you will get healthy soon! Keep the great and creative spirits!

Dear both Joar and Gäiten,

I wish you all the best, to get well in the near future! Without any reaction from you, I had the impression that you had found my comments on « bugs & errors » unpleasant, I hope it is not the case.
    I want to thank you again for all the passion you obviously have put in this mod, and hope you both will recover soon.

Kind regards,

FFJean

Don´t worry Joar, I hope you and Gaïten will recover soon !