Thread: Bree Guide

Default Bree Guide

Hello there people! As the title says, I am interested if someone could give me some kind of a Bree guide. I am mostly playing it on 2.2, but I can probaly manage to do it on 3 as well. So, I have questions about:
    How to start? What armies are you able to field and who are your enemies?
    The choice. What does each choice offer you? I am interested into the mercenary one, but I don't know where to train dwarves. Also, can dwarves get their armor upgraded look?
    When does the choice come in each version? Around which turn?

Thank you all for the answers in advance!

Default Re: Bree Guide

This thread here has been a general discussion about Bree that answers most your questions. It was started during 2.2 but goes on into when 3 was released.

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...1552-Bree-Land

I also tried starting a thread to discuss Bree strategies; only got one response:

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...147&viewfull=1

You don't have much in terms of starting position. Don't bother trying to capture any settlements north of you as the Dunedain and Dwarves of Ered Luin will take them soon enough. Besides, you need to muster up an army with whatever units you have and immediately take out the many bandits/rebels lurking in your lands. You've got barrow wights immediately south of Bree, your capital, but don't bother taking the Barrow Downs themselves until you get the council mission. No one is going to sweep in and snatch it from you, and in the odd chance they, do the barrow wights that spawn (until you build walls and "purify" the downs) will drive them out.

Gather you hobbit units and take the Undertowers. Open trade with the Elves, get alliances with all your neighbors. Your fellow middlemen, the Dunlendings and Enedwaith, have a tendency to go to war against each other. Pick a side or turn it into a 3 way war, as war will come to you once you nab the Tharbads to the south. I personally like siding with Enedwaith.

You will be pretty destitute for the early game. Not as badly as Northern Dunedain, but still worse off than your other neighbors. But mid game your economy starts rolling like an avalanche and by barracks event you should be swimming in gold.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyPistol View Post
    This thread here has been a general discussion about Bree that answers most your questions. It was started during 2.2 but goes on into when 3 was released.

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...1552-Bree-Land

I also tried starting a thread to discuss Bree strategies; only got one response:

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...147&viewfull=1

You don't have much in terms of starting position. Don't bother trying to capture any settlements north of you as the Dunedain and Dwarves of Ered Luin will take them soon enough. Besides, you need to muster up an army with whatever units you have and immediately take out the many bandits/rebels lurking in your lands. You've got barrow wights immediately south of Bree, your capital, but don't bother taking the Barrow Downs themselves until you get the council mission. No one is going to sweep in and snatch it from you, and in the odd chance they, do the barrow wights that spawn (until you build walls and "purify" the downs) will drive them out.

Gather you hobbit units and take the Undertowers. Open trade with the Elves, get alliances with all your neighbors. Your fellow middlemen, the Dunlendings and Enedwaith, have a tendency to go to war against each other. Pick a side or turn it into a 3 way war, as war will come to you once you nab the Tharbads to the south. I personally like siding with Enedwaith.

You will be pretty destitute for the early game. Not as badly as Northern Dunedain, but still worse off than your other neighbors. But mid game your economy starts rolling like an avalanche and by barracks event you should be swimming in gold.
    Thank you for helpful links and strategy! Do you maybe know if you choose the Mercenary way, can you still rebuild the cripts and get rid of the barrow wights?

I'm pretty sure you can rebuild the crypts before the choice, but I imagine you lose the Arnor units just like with the rest of the ND units if you go mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyPistol View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can rebuild the crypts before the choice, but I imagine you lose the Arnor units just like with the rest of the ND units if you go mercenary.
    I see...thank you very much for your answers! You wouldn't happen to know if Bree gets unique general if it sides with the Mercenaries, wouldn't you? I will probaly try both ways anyway, I am just curious...thank you again in advance for your answer and responses on my other posts! You are a great and helpful person!

^ Yes they get a Sellsword general with some dread.

^ Yes they get a Sellsword general with some dread.