Page 31 of 59 FirstFirst ... 621222324252627282930313233343536373839404156 ... LastLast

Thread: US House Speaker Announces Formal Impeachment Inquiry

Default Re: US House Speaker Announces Formal Impeachment Inquiry

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    *yawns again *
    I addressed what you said and you simply ignored what I said and started rambling some inane accusations, ironically demonstrating that you didn't even look at the link you claimed was false since it contained results from Emerson, which is universally-recognized as credible.
    The same user already amended his initial false and misleading claims with proper sources long ago. You’re the only one continuing to lie about what was said by whom while repeating the same baseless assertions.
    Last edited by Lord Thesaurian; December 07, 2019 at 11:30 AM.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica View Post
    The same user already amended his initial false and misleading claims with proper sources long ago. You’re the only one continuing to lie about what was said by whom while repeating the same baseless assertions.
    He posted a link to an article citing Emerson poll. You replied with inane "kill the messenger" rants and a link to NBC thus posting a notoriously unreliable source in the same post where you accused someone of posting such. Why is it so hard for you to just admit that you obviously posted a falsehood?

You replied with inane "kill the messenger" rants and a link to NBC thus posting a notoriously unreliable source in the same post where you accused someone of posting such. Why is it so hard for you to just admit that you obviously posted a falsehood?
    You’ve lied repeatedly throughout this thread, and you are lying now. More claims from you, same refusal to provide any evidence for them at all.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

You’ve lied repeatedly throughout this thread, and you are lying now. More claims from you, same refusal to provide any evidence for them at all.
    Where did I lie?
    Is Emerson poll considered to be credible? Yes.
    Is NBC, as legacy media, not considered credible by majority of US population? Yes.
    It seems your accusation of ""lies" are based on you being upset that reality contradicts your beliefs.

Where did I lie?
    Is Emerson poll considered to be credible? Yes.
    Where did I say Emerson is not credible? I said the Epoch Times is not credible because it is a far right publication which advances skewed narratives affiliated with and to an extent staffed by an esoteric spiritualist group. To that end, I also pointed out that the data from Emerson was cherry picked by the Epoch Times to advance a false narrative about public support for the impeachment inquiry, and provided a more comprehensive source, FiveThirtyEight, which directly refuted said narrative. Support for impeachment, both for the inquiry and the removal of Trump from office, continues to grow.
    Is NBC, as legacy media, not considered credible by majority of US population? Yes.
    Your source mentions that Americans are increasingly getting their news online, and that trust in the media overall is down. This does not back up your claim that NBC is a “Democrat blog,” nor have you indicated the specific NBC piece I referenced regarding the Epoch Times to be inaccurate.

It seems your accusation of ""lies" are based on you being upset that reality contradicts your beliefs.
    The fact that you lied about what I said and what was said by whom is documented. Case in point, when finally compelled to back up your claims, to you continue to pursue the same strawman about Emerson and a non-sequitur about the media. So far, reality contradicts your beliefs, not mine.

Anyway, you actually backed up a couple of your claims for the first time in ..... ever? I’m proud of you. Now you just need to work on your non-sequiturs and strawmen.

Where did I say Emerson is not credible? I said the Epoch Times is not credible because it is a far right publication which advances skewed narratives affiliated with and to an extent staffed by an esoteric spiritualist group.
    Aand we are back to "kill the messenger". ET cited poll from Emerson. If the article is cited with external evidence, your dismissal of it just shows your bias.
    Your source mentions that Americans are increasingly getting their news online, and that trust in the media overall is down.
    Hence why using legacy media as a source while decrying a news article because you disagree with conclusions is quite hypocritical on your part.
    Anyway, you actually backed up a couple of your claims for the first time in ..... ever? I’m proud of you.
    I haven't made any claims, so you are not even making sense here. I get that you are upset that we debunked your claims by addressing their lack of evidence, but you could still act in good faith by conceding to that instead of doubling-down on non-nonsensical arguments like accusing me of not posting evidence for "claims" that I haven't even made.

*makes claims, denies having made any claims
    It’s ok that you have unfounded personal opinions. You needn’t lie about others in the process.

It’s ok that you have unfounded personal opinions. You needn’t lie about others in the process.
    I didn't make any claims. I pointed out that your claim has no objective source to it, then you went of on nonsensical ad hominem attacks.

I didn't make any claims. I pointed out that your claim has no objective source to it, then you went of on nonsensical ad hominem attacks.
    You’re lying again.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Back to the topic.
    Trump impeachment will be a nightmare for Supreme ... - Quartz

I quote.
    A panel of legal writers, law professors at the Federalist Sociality event in Washington.DC on Oct.2 agreed that the chief justice will not relish the prospect of presiding over something that would, by its very nature, be a political trial
    On top of that, America embarks on the uncharted waters of political,still unknown consequences of the Burisma affair.

Ukraine "wants" to probe Burisma...but "it's too sensitive"

Since taking office in May, the government has sought to explore past claims of corruption against Burisma and its owners.

Yet, as an unintended consequence of the impeachment inquiry, Ukraine has felt the need to treat the company with kid gloves.
    “It’s too sensitive a topic,” says an official in Kyiv, who would only discuss the company’s case on condition of anonymity. “I think that we need to investigate Burisma.

But the impeachment inquiry has “changed the context” around alleged corruption at Burisma, adds the official. “And this is bad.”

the government is not eager to pursue it.
    To sum up, there will be no investigation. The unintended consequences of impeachment inquiry came just in time.

---
    Even Biden's supporters are not happy,
    Hunter-Ukraine questions cloud Biden tour - Politico

The former veep still hasn’t found a clear and cogent message when it comes to his son’s overseas business dealings. Until now, the campaign and candidate have met questions about Hunter’s lucrative business arrangements with flat-out denials — sometimes to questions that are accurate — or efforts to shut down questions about it
    Last edited by Ludicus; December 09, 2019 at 01:33 PM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

As opening salvos go, I’m happy with the articles presented thus far. They present a conservative case centered on the actions and behaviors Trump has admitted to publicly and as corroborated by witnesses. Many are unhappy with the decision to reference the Mueller Report findings as “a pattern of behavior” and “previous efforts,” rather than as separate articles. I believe it makes more sense to present the totality of the circumstances in their current format. First, it establishes motive corroborated by Trump’s own actions as well as public and online statements. Second, it enters these into the historical record without giving Republicans or red state Dems the chance to rehash the Russia investigation and further muddy the waters with convoluted procedural conspiracy theories. The timing of the IG’s report on the FBI’s Russia investigation further undercuts GOP efforts to turn up the volume on their conspiratorial “deep state” mantra.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...ext-pdf-080185

The conclusion is especially poignant in that it ties the pattern of behavior into clear and present dangers, as opposed to mere punishment for past sins:

Wherefore, President Trump, by such conduct, has demonstrated that he will remain a threat to the Constitution if allowed to remain in office, and has acted in a manner grossly incompatible with self-governance and the rule of law. President Trump thus warrants impeachment and trial, removal from office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any office of honor, trust, or profit under the United States.”
    We will see what else is in store. I don’t think the Dems will meet their Christmas deadline for a vote, but the upside of the overwhelming, hyper-commercialized nature of American Christmas means I doubt a GOP counteroffensive would gather much steam in the media during that period anyway.
    Last edited by Lord Thesaurian; December 10, 2019 at 04:43 PM.

Hopefully McConnell drags it out for months so everyone but Biden is stuck waiting in Washington.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromos View Post
    Hopefully McConnell drags it out for months so everyone but Biden is stuck waiting in Washington.
    I like Biden but I have doubts as to his mental acuity and physical fitness for the presidency. Also, his failure to knock down blatant lies and conspiracies from Trump regarding Burisma, even with the help of impeachment on the same topic, means Trump will have no problem making him another “crooked Hillary” caricature by next summer. The guy who broke the Burisma story in NYT in 2015 has been vocal in debunking the “hero prosecutor fired for Hunter Biden” conspiracy, and GOP Senators who are now singing Trump’s tune on Ukraine signed official public statements calling for Shokin’s firing as part of an international effort at the time. Biden still can’t even handle an Iowa farmer when asked about it, and the far left has exploited Trumpist talking points on Ukraine to hurt him as well. I understand people get emotional about their kids, but that’s exactly why he won’t be able to handle Trump and the entire national Trumpist propaganda machine.
    Last edited by Lord Thesaurian; December 10, 2019 at 04:50 PM.

I like Biden but I have doubts as to his mental acuity and physical fitness for the presidency. Also, his failure to knock down blatant lies and conspiracies from Trump regarding Burisma, even with the help of impeachment on the same topic, means Trump will have no problem making him another “crooked Hillary” caricature by next summer. The guy who broke the Burisma story in NYT in 2015 has been vocal in debunking the “hero prosecutor fired for Hunter Biden” conspiracy, and GOP Senators who are now singing Trump’s tune on Ukraine signed official public statements calling for Shokin’s firing as part of an international effort at the time. Biden still can’t even handle an Iowa farmer when asked about it, and the far left has exploited Trumpist talking points on Ukraine to hurt him as well. I understand people get emotional about their kids, but that’s exactly why he won’t be able to handle Trump and the entire national Trumpist propaganda machine.
    Well, that is the conventional wisdom in leftist circles, but as the past few months have shown, the conventional wisdom is pretty detached from reality. No one really cares about this stuff outside of Twitter. All the evidence so far shows that Biden has the best chance of beating Trump.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromos View Post
    Well, that is the conventional wisdom in leftist circles, but as the past few months have shown, the conventional wisdom is pretty detached from reality. No one really cares about this stuff outside of Twitter. All the evidence so far shows that Biden has the best chance of beating Trump.
    We’ll see if he makes it past the primary. He does have remarkable staying power in the polls, despite not really having any message besides “I was Obama’s VP.”

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

Trump needs to go, guys. He's not a statesman and he doesn't learn at all. He's simply not worthy of representing the USA, not internally and certainly not internationally. He's an embarassment, plain and simple. For your sakes, Muricans: remove that creature. quietly and quickly and the world will soon forget that mistake ever happened.

Watching the GOP circus has been incredible and horrifying. Democrats have stayed on message and the facts: “The POTUS abused his power to target his political rival, jeopardized national security, openly obstructed Congressional investigations, and will continue to do so if allowed to remain in office.”

The GOP response has not been, “Trump did not do those things,” or “that’s not true,” but rather, “no fair no fair deep state deep state!!”

What happens when the next Trump comes along? The damage to the foundations of American government, our checks and balances that have provided matchless stability for centuries, is already incalculable. May god save us.

Watching the GOP circus has been incredible and horrifying. Democrats have stayed on message and the facts: “The POTUS abused his power to target his political rival, jeopardized national security, openly obstructed Congressional investigations, and will continue to do so if allowed to remain in office.”

The GOP response has not been, “Trump did not do those things,” or “that’s not true,” but rather, “no fair no fair deep state deep state!!”

What happens when the next Trump comes along? The damage to the foundations of American government, our checks and balances that have provided matchless stability for centuries, is already incalculable. May god save us.
    They know their base will applaud such childish behavior. Unfortunately this is the result of the Republican war on science and critical thinking. The average Republican voter considers anything he doesn't understand to be "bad", and anything he disagrees with to be "fake"- even when there's scientific and empirical evidence to support it.
    Last edited by Coughdrop addict; December 12, 2019 at 03:35 PM.

As we all already suspected, impeachment will be dead on arrival in Senate. McConnell has effectively confirmed that now. It also appears to have fallen flat as a purely electoral strategy (aka. an abuse of process); there's even a possibility that it will help Trump come November. Insincere posturing is all that now remains.

Quote Originally Posted by Coughdrop addict View Post
    They know their base will applaud such childish behavior. Unfortunately this is the result of the Republican war on science and critical thinking. The average Republican voter considers anything he doesn't understand to be "bad", and anything he disagrees with to be "fake"- even when there's scientific and empirical evidence to support it.
    That's about the only base they have left. I mean, when you lose Orange County, California for gods' sake. They really have no reason to give a damn what they do.

The Senate, and thus, the electoral map, are a little more interesting. Thus the more quiet behavior in the Senate. But alas.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.