Thread: Does anyone know if it's possible to port Warhammer II factions into the first game?

Default Does anyone know if it's possible to port Warhammer II factions into the first game?

So I'm here to ask if this is even possible before looking into any tutorials and learning how to mod.

For some reason I'm not a heavy player of Warhammer II but I love the first game. Can't pinpoint why, it just means that I'd like to add some of the factions from the second game into the first game. Does anyone know if it's possible to port all the unit models, animations, maps, campaign visuals, etc. to Warhammer I? I've heard you can't add or build on the campaign map but
    can you at least add some of the tiles? Like the desert tiles if I want to stitch in a Tomb King faction in the wastelands. It'd be weird to have them just sitting in greenskin looking lands otherwise.

I also noticed in Mortal Empires that Skaven and Aranessa Saltspite were placed in the Old World. Could I edit Sartosa into the map? I also wouldn't mind just entirely butchering the lore and slapping in a couple others as well, why not. If I can't edit the map, could I just replace some minor factions with the new ones.

Finally, is this even legal? I'm sure if I made this only for myself and didn't distribute it I'd be fine because I own these games and DLCs but if I were to put it online would there be some way to check if the player has the correct DLCs purchased? I guess I'll just have to hold onto it if I can't (if it's possible to make in the first place, that is).

Another finicky thing I've noticed is game features. I suppose I'd just have to scrap the Vampire Coasts ability to make pirate coves unless I can somehow transfer that too? Is the game flexible enough to allow me to script that in myself?

Sorry if that's a lot of questions, I really have no idea about modding but this is really the only game I play anymore so I'm quite fond of it. Is it possible then? Yes, maybe, not a chance in hell?

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Does anyone know if it's possible to port Warhammer II factions into the first game?

Unlikely. CA changed a few things with the models and textures, so going game II to game I may be difficult (while game 1 to 2 is esierŕ.
    Anyway this would be a LOT of work even it it was possible.

And you can forget about map editing. I don't hink you can edit the tile, nor can you add Sartosa.

About legal: if it is only for you, ti would be ok. but not if public I thing. CA designed the new races for ME and Game2, I don't think they'd like it ported to game 1, even if there is a way to check DLC.

Game features like Pirate Coves are also a big no, the engine would not know what to do.

If you want a piece of advice, don't even try. You are almost sure you won't be going very far and will be very frustrated.

The first rule of modding is to aim for somethign that is a reallistic goal, and porting game 2 to game 1 is IMO not reallistic

Unless you aim relatively low. For exemple, getting the new Empire archers and put them in Game 1 may work.

Default Re: Does anyone know if it's possible to port Warhammer II factions into the first game?

Ah, what a bummer. Thank you for saving me so much time, hassle, and disappointment though! I do appreciate it.

No real worries then, I'll just have to set my sights on something else.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

You can still do things. But start small, with "quick" objectives, learn from it, and expand.

You can start with adding archers and huntmans to empire, this has good chance to work.

But adding the new elector count is much more complicated, probably not possible at all.

Or just focus on Me, which include all the Old World and more.

Except longer turn time, I don't think there really is a reason to play Game 1 instead of ME.