Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New pictures for aruernoi and aedui temples buildings

Default New pictures for aruernoi and aedui temples buildings

As I was reading the book Les Religions Gauloises, by Jean-Louis Brunaux, I have the idea of making new temples pictures with pictures of temples made with the archeological data, and some symbol to represent the god (as like said Brennos at Delphes, the gauls don't represent theirs gods with human form).

The two first :

Level three temple of battle (Gournay temple + a carnyx) :
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Level three temple of Taranis (Tintégnac temple + Taranis wheel) :

Level four temple of Taranis (Corent temple + Taranis wheel) :

For the others temples I have some other pictures, like the sanctuary of the Montmartin aristocratic residence, the temple of Gournay sur Aronde and the sanctuary of Bennecourt, but I will lack of temples or sanctuary representations. If someone have some pictures of celtic temples, I'm interested.

For the symbols of each other gods, I think to :
    - a carnyx for the god of war
    - the bard of the farm of Paule in Bretagne for the god of fun
    - maybe a torc for the god of forge
    If someone have some idea for the gods of farming and fertility, or other suggestions, I'm interested.

Default Re: New pictures for aruernoi and aedui temples buildings

Interesting. +1 rep for the effort
    By the way, does anybody know how to make different building pictures for different factions inside the same culture?

Thanks for rep.

Quintus Sertorius said that :
    Images, like descriptions can be done generically (same for all factions), by culture or by faction; also by exception you can override the earlier with the later. That's what we have in the current setup, where all the cul_5 factions are using the same images, but have faction-specific descriptions.

So when I will have more new pictures ready, I will try to add them (I think that I must create in data/ui folder a f_aedui and a f_arverni folder).

I will lack of sanctuary pictures for fertility temples. I think it should be better to create a set with aquatic sanctuary, but even when I make search for La Tène sanctuary, I could find anything.
    Last edited by torf; August 13, 2019 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by torf View Post
    If someone have some idea for the gods of farming and fertility, or other suggestions, I'm interested.
    Could you come up with a cow icon (I think those should be called icons rather than symbols) of Damona? If you need the icon to reproduce a historical image, I think that also horse images of Epona and the horned figure images of Cernunnos have survived to our time.

My primary interests in classical antiquity are in other things than religion, and I am not an expert, but I believe that many Gaulish gods had an aspect of fertility but perhaps none were exclusively gods of farming and fertility. Perhaps that is why you haven't found a good match so far. +1 rep from me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    Could you come up with a cow icon [...] of Damona?
    No, wait. The association of Damona with cows is actually hypothetical. My bad.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

These are really good! You've definitely got a lot of skill with graphical art. You should consider helping out in remodeling EBII settlements. I'd like to see it!

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Very nice pics indeed. I wish they're included in the EBII.

I've got a question though: I've read that the Celts didn't have temples on their own, they started building them only under the influence of the Mediterranean influences. Is it possible (or maybe it's already in the game) to make the temples available only after some contacts with the south?
    Or maybe it's not pertinent for the 3rd century BC and this wouldn't make sense...

Genava's Avatar Senator

From Sterckx's book:

LOTR mod for Shogun 2 Total War (Campaign and Battles!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIywmAgUxQU

valerius karamanus's Avatar Civis

Promising work. I was going to suggest a hammer&anvil symbol for the Gobbannus but your torc choice is good as well and unique, anvil is a bit generic you know..

Rosmerta could use a natural symbol with flowers and fruits.

Septentrionalis :
    Each tribe should had her own Teutates (the God of the Tribe). And each Teutates could have several function (war, farming, fertility/health, ...), but he should be more warlike in belgic gaul and more economical focused in eduan territory.

Epona is a good suggestion, I haven't think to her. I will use a horse of armorican coins. I remember that there was on an island in armorica (Sein) a health sanctuary (Pomponius Mela, Chorographie, III, 6, 48).

Roma_Victrix :
    For the sanctuary reproductions, I haven't draw those pictures (they are coming from french archeological and regional administration), I have just crop the pictures and had sky, ground and some part of wall texture (with Gimp) to make those pictures enter in good format without loosing some part of the sanctuary. For the sanctuary of Montmartin, I have textured and colored a black and white picture.

Jurand of Cracow :
    The inhabitant of Gaul had real Temples in 3rd century BC : the sanctuary of Gournay sur Aronde (first half of 3rd century) and Ribemont sur Ancre (~260BC) in belgic gaul prove that.

And at Gournay sur Aronde, the archeologists have find the remains of a native sanctuary of 4rd century BC (before the arrival of belgian) : a tumulus of ten meters of diameter with not exactly at his center a square shap pit (nearly 2,5m X 2,5m) with pottery, containing probably crops or grains, the pit remained open a long time because of the state of the pottery. I have only find a representation of the pit but not of the whole tumulus. In a first time, some archeologists had think that it should be a burial, but, despite that this structure has been damaged, no remains of bones or pyres have been found. And the pit have remained open a long time. That's why the burial interpretation is highly unlikely, and the cultual interpretation a lot of more likely.

This first native sanctuary should have been a good picture for the first level of farming temple.

Genava :
    Thanks for this. The coins should be a good choice for the temple of war of the Boii.

valerius karamanus :
    Personnaly, I prefer torc for celtic factions. But anvil could be also a good choice. I will start this set with a torc, but it's easy to change with Gimp.

Two new pictures :
    Level two temple of battle (another view of Tintégnac temple + a carnyx) :

Level two temple of Taranis (sanctuary of the Montmartin aristocratic residence + Taranis wheel) :

Maybe this picture can be useful:

Quote Originally Posted by Erken View Post
    Maybe this picture can be useful:
    Thanks for the picture. I have ever use a picture of the sanctuary of Corent, but I will have to use a second with another view, because of the lack of pictures of different sanctuary.

I have find a picture of the sanctuary of Acy Romance (in belgic gaul), that I will use for the level 3 of farming temples.

I have try to make a reconstitution of the first native sanctuary of Gournay sur Aronde. But, as I don't find a good picture of tumulus, it's not as good as I want.

As it wasn't as good as I want, I have made a second version of this picture.

It's the level one temple of farming (evocation of the first native sanctuary of Gournay sur Aronde + the ox of the Gundestrup cauldron) :

As it wasn't as good as I want, I have made a second version of this picture.

It's the level one temple of farming (evocation of the first native sanctuary of Gournay sur Aronde + the ox of the Gundestrup cauldron) :

Genava's Avatar Senator

Pictures for the "grande halle" of Titelberg (interpreted as a possible assembly place but with religious functions because a Gallo-Roman temple has followed up over it):

Edit: I don't have a drawing of a La Tène tumulus but I have one for the Lavau tumulus from the very end of the Hallstatt period.

Last edited by Genava; August 15, 2019 at 12:23 PM.
    LOTR mod for Shogun 2 Total War (Campaign and Battles!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIywmAgUxQU

Quote Originally Posted by Genava View Post
    Pictures for the "grande halle" of Titelberg (interpreted as a possible assembly place but with religious functions because a Gallo-Roman temple has followed up over it):

Edit: I don't have a drawing of a La Tène tumulus but I have one for the Lavau tumulus from the very end of the Hallstatt period.

Thanks for those pictures.

I have another version of the level one temple of farming (evocation of the first native sanctuary of Gournay sur Aronde + the ox of the Gundestrup cauldron) :

What would be your favorite ?
    1 :

2 :

3 :

4 :
    Last edited by torf; August 15, 2019 at 02:37 PM.

The first with the ox of the second and third^^

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have add the ox on the first picture, and I have create a variant of this first picture (the number 4).

The fourth is the best imo. It's easy to distinguish the urns at the top, and the tumulus is better emphasised. It also gives the impression of a more natural scene.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast