Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What playable faction do you normally choose in the Rise of the Republic campaign?

Default What playable faction do you normally choose in the Rise of the Republic campaign?

In my case I choose the Romans. Actually I haven't even tried the other playable factions in the Rise of the Republic yet.

My reasons for choosing Rome? Well, I just want to recreate history by taking control of all Italy. And because you can assign a Dictator ( this way you can avoid seccessions ). But in your case, what are your reasons for choosing a particular faction?

Default Re: What playable faction do you normally choose in the Rise of the Republic campaign?

I love the Iolei, and not juts because of the punch units. They are probably the 2nd hardest faction in the game due to their light armored units and challenging early game against Carthage. Fun expansion, fun units, and the fact you are practically isolated from the rest of Italy while you fight back Carthage makes it that much more satisfying when you finally start moving off your island.

Default Re: What playable faction do you normally choose in the Rise of the Republic campaign?

So, do you mean in case I choose the Iolei, I have to be prepared to engage Carthage as soon as possible? Does Carthage attack within a few turns?

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I enjoyed playing as the Insubres for my first Rise of the Republic campaign, because of their starting location (near the edge of the map, although that can be dangerous) and broad selection of units (including stealthy Highland Hunters).

Quote Originally Posted by twgamer20197 View Post
    So, do you mean in case I choose the Iolei, I have to be prepared to engage Carthage as soon as possible? Does Carthage attack within a few turns?
    Yes, I'm pretty sure they start out at war with you. You're going to have to play like the Suebi and try to ambush or overwhelm the Carthaginian stacks that will be heading your way very shortly. They also benefit from the Confederation mechanic.

Carthage will be your primary opponent for the first half or so of the campaign. But when you finally take the city of Carthage itself, it's such an amazing payoff given the long war you will have waged.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyPistol View Post
    Yes, I'm pretty sure they start out at war with you. You're going to have to play like the Suebi and try to ambush or overwhelm the Carthaginian stacks that will be heading your way very shortly. They also benefit from the Confederation mechanic.

Carthage will be your primary opponent for the first half or so of the campaign. But when you finally take the city of Carthage itself, it's such an amazing payoff given the long war you will have waged.
    What difficulty do you play The Rise of the Republic? And how do you handle the other parties in order to minimize the risk of seccessions? How hard is it?
    Last edited by twgamer20197; September 23, 2019 at 08:07 AM. Reason: for avoiding redundances

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I enjoyed playing as the Insubres for my first Rise of the Republic campaign, because of their starting location (near the edge of the map, although that can be dangerous) and broad selection of units (including stealthy Highland Hunters).
    I see. Are the Insubres recommended in case you don't want war with anyone soon ( so that you have enough time to gradually build up in order to be prepared before someone declares you war: such as researching technologies, recruiting more troops, boosting your troops with your champions, etc )
    Last edited by twgamer20197; September 23, 2019 at 08:37 AM.

What difficulty do you play The Rise of the Republic? And how do you handle the other parties in order to minimize the risk of seccessions? How hard is it?
    Hard. I mainly just appease them and try to get as many political marriages as possible. Same as you would in the Grand Campaign. Keep your power strong and their loyalty to at least 10 and you're golden.

Hard. I mainly just appease them and try to get as many political marriages as possible. Same as you would in the Grand Campaign. Keep your power strong and their loyalty to at least 10 and you're golden.
    I think another way of appeasing the other parties is to promote their politians or the generals from those parties in certain ocassions. And doing what the parties like. For example, certain parties like war all the time. Others want peace.
    And what would you do if there are 2 parties who like opposite things? Example: One of them likes war and the other likes peace. Or one of them likes diplomatic treaties with other factions but the other doesn't
    Last edited by twgamer20197; September 24, 2019 at 12:03 PM.

In many cases the other parties don't like it when you have too much influence ( maybe 80 or 90 % ) and you don't promote their military generals. It is like in real life: if you are the President of your country and if your party controls a big part of the parliament, the other parties won't like it

I've never had an issue with not promoting other party generals. It's much easier to stock up on gravitas and use the political abilities of your high ranking female characters.

If you have political parties with clashing appeasement options (war vs peace, for example), just try to start a civil war early on to get rid of one of them.

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

I've tried out a few of the factions.

Senones are really quite hard. They're unable to peacefully occupy settlements, meaning that any time you take a settlement you've got to raze all the buildings. Can be frustrating, especially when retaking your own settlements if you've lost them. But also makes for a thematic playstyle.

I got fairly far with a Syracuse campaign, though then lost the saves when my computer failed. The ability to draw upon additional mercenaries that aren't available for anyone else is nice, though the upkeep costs can be punishing. There are techs and skills to help with that though, plus you can also use popup armies (keeping a partial stack of regular units in peace time, and then recruiting mercs to ramp up to a full stack when needed.)

The Samnites are an interesting faction as they get bonuses in field battles based on terrain if the army is in normal stance. While they can't use them in sieges, still can be handy and add some nice decision making as you try to make the most of terrain. Their Government Action to summon a full stack Ver Sacrum army is very nice, and can be used both offensively and defensively (being able to summon an army to your capital in the nick of time to save it saved my bacon more than once.) There are also techs that make the Ver Sacrum army better, meaning it's still useful even later in the campaign.

Most recently I've played the Ventii, who are cavalry focused. Not my usual type of faction, but I had a lot of fun using their lighting fast cavalry to flank and harass, while their infantry held the opponent in place. Kind of reminded me of my Masaesyli campaign. Their Government Action to decide what kinds of horses to breed for the coming year is also very nice, with interesting tradeoffs between choosing horses for war or for work. They also have a nice sideline in Scouts, with a few techs to boost your Spies.

As for politics, I suggest my post in this thread as well as this thread for some general tips.

Hope that helps.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I see. Are the Insubres recommended in case you don't want war with anyone soon ( so that you have enough time to gradually build up in order to be prepared before someone declares you war: such as researching technologies, recruiting more troops, boosting your troops with your champions, etc )
    Yes, partly for that reason, and partly because starting on the edge of the map makes it easier to limit the number of wars you need to fight at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Dragon View Post
    I've tried out a few of the factions.

Senones are really quite hard. They're unable to peacefully occupy settlements, meaning that any time you take a settlement you've got to raze all the buildings. Can be frustrating, especially when retaking your own settlements if you've lost them. But also makes for a thematic playstyle.

I got fairly far with a Syracuse campaign, though then lost the saves when my computer failed. The ability to draw upon additional mercenaries that aren't available for anyone else is nice, though the upkeep costs can be punishing. There are techs and skills to help with that though, plus you can also use popup armies (keeping a partial stack of regular units in peace time, and then recruiting mercs to ramp up to a full stack when needed.)

The Samnites are an interesting faction as they get bonuses in field battles based on terrain if the army is in normal stance. While they can't use them in sieges, still can be handy and add some nice decision making as you try to make the most of terrain. Their Government Action to summon a full stack Ver Sacrum army is very nice, and can be used both offensively and defensively (being able to summon an army to your capital in the nick of time to save it saved my bacon more than once.) There are also techs that make the Ver Sacrum army better, meaning it's still useful even later in the campaign.

Most recently I've played the Ventii, who are cavalry focused. Not my usual type of faction, but I had a lot of fun using their lighting fast cavalry to flank and harass, while their infantry held the opponent in place. Kind of reminded me of my Masaesyli campaign. Their Government Action to decide what kinds of horses to breed for the coming year is also very nice, with interesting tradeoffs between choosing horses for war or for work. They also have a nice sideline in Scouts, with a few techs to boost your Spies.

As for politics, I suggest my post in this thread as well as this thread for some general tips.

Hope that helps.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.
    Thanks for the threads on politics. They worked for me!

Thanks for the threads on politics. They worked for me!
    Glad I could help.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

I'm surprised no one has said Rome yet. By far one of my tougher campaigns in Rome 2. I really learnt how critical armor and mass were as them. Good medium cavalry dominated the early game for me, and my superior armor meant I could just shrug off the slinger spam of the AI.

Oh yes. Playing as Rome is pretty tough: seccessions, war in different fronts, etc

Do you think there should be more playable factions in the Rise of the Republic? How about the Lucanians?

Do you think there should be more playable factions in the Rise of the Republic? How about the Lucanians?
    I think there's potential for more playable factions. But at the same time I understand why the developers have to decide to set limits, as they only have finite time, money and resources to work with.

One of the things Rise of the Republic does very well I feel is making each faction unique with its own mechanics and Government Actions, so adding more factions does risk diluting that unless they can be given their own unique mechanics. I'd also say that for a smaller campaign, the playable factions are nicely spaced out, meaning that when you play each faction you aren't immediately fighting over the same land you've already fought over as someone else. This isn't always the case for example the Greek/Macedonian/Balkan area in Grand Campaign which has 8 contiguous playable factions going north from Sparta to the Getae, and so can get a little crowded.

Don't get me wrong, I love having a lot of factions to choose from (and still wish CA would do some more playable Britannic and Germanic Tribes in the Grand Campaign.) And I wouldn't say no to having more playable factions in any of the DLC campaigns if they were interesting and added to the experience. Just highlighting there are some drawbacks too.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

The reason I want the Lucanians to be playable is because they appear in the Prologue as Rome's allies. And of course the technology tree, the buildings, the military units, etc should be different from the rest of the factions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast