Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
Results 201 to 216 of 216

Thread: Total War Saga: TROY announced! - general discussion

  1. #201

    Default Re: Total War Saga: TROY announced! (trailer, screens & campaign map video)

    New helmet:


  2. #202

    Default Re: Total War Saga: TROY announced! (trailer, screens & campaign map video)

    Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    And we got yet again new blogpost about Troy:
    https://www.totalwar.com/blog/barter...he-bronze-age/
    The pictures are impressive done. CA does do a good job with the visuals. My interest in this game would be a mod that creates a historical game.
    MODDERS WANTED | MY PATRONAGES
    Imperial Splendour is looking for Modders and Researchers. SEE AD HERE
    If interested, contact PikeStance(Mod Leader/Manager) or Quintus Hortensius Hortalus (Mod leader /Lead Artist)

    Under the Patronage of Omnipotent- Q | Member of the House of Wild Bill Kelso
    Patron of
    _Tataros_
    | Magister Militum Flavius Aetius | Alwyn | Lord Oda Nobunaga | Massive_attack |
    Proposed the Following for PHALERA: Mangalore & sumskilz | OPIFEX: wangrin, z3n, and Swiss Halberdier


    Honourable Society of Silly Old Duffers | House of Noble Discourse

  3. #203
    Souron's Avatar Civis
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    The Shire
    Posts
    139

    Default Re: Total War Saga: TROY announced! (trailer, screens & campaign map video)

    Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    The pictures are impressive done. CA does do a good job with the visuals. My interest in this game would be a mod that creates a historical game.
    I could not aggree more with this if i tried!

    Taking Thrones of Britannia back to pre-roman Britian

  4. #204
    King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Citizen Censor

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Nidaros
    Posts
    5,440
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Total War Saga: TROY announced! (trailer, screens & campaign map video)

    From the gameplay trailer I'm getting some serious Total War: Arena vibes from the unit movement. I didn't play 3K, how does it compare to that?
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman






  5. #205
    Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Republica de Venezuela
    Posts
    6,507

    Default Re: Total War Saga: TROY announced! (trailer, screens & campaign map video)

    No naval battles beacuse according to them "there's no enough info about the naval battles of the time".... on a ING ANCIENT GREEK GAME!!!!

    But sure, CA found plenty info about the life cycle of Minotaur and how they did battle until they went extinct in 40 B.C.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

  6. #206
    valerius karamanus's Avatar Libertus
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Constantinopolis
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Total War Saga: TROY announced! (trailer, screens & campaign map video)

    Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    I didn't play 3K, how does it compare to that?
    Just a reskin I would say. From running animations to swinging swords everything is same. New weapon change ability is cool though.

  7. #207
    Genava's Avatar Ducenarius
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Geneva
    Posts
    921

    Default Re: Total War Saga: TROY announced! - general discussion

    I am surprised they didn't add Memnon the Ethiopian king with the current context. Maybe they are planning a BLM dlc.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memnon_(mythology)

    But so far, this is looking good.
    Open Access Defenders Step Up to Save ‘Pirate Bay of Science’
    https://nerdist.com/article/open-acc...brary-genesis/

  8. #208

    Default Re: Total War Saga: TROY announced! - general discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Genava View Post
    I am surprised they didn't add Memnon the Ethiopian king with the current context. Maybe they are planning a BLM dlc.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memnon_(mythology)

    But so far, this is looking good.
    "Breaking news! Racism in Total War: Troy! Memnon, the leader of Black community killed by white aggressive xenophobic male!"

  9. #209
    Genava's Avatar Ducenarius
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Geneva
    Posts
    921

    Default Re: Total War Saga: TROY announced! - general discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarrr View Post
    "Breaking news! Racism in Total War: Troy! Memnon, the leader of Black community killed by white aggressive xenophobic male!"
    White aggressive male, surely since Achilles kills him. Xenophobic I don't think so.

    But honestly I prefer the inclusion of a real black figure of the Greek mythology instead of black-washing Achilles like in the BBC series.

    I don't think Memnon has been portrayed a single time in video games or in movies about Troy.
    Open Access Defenders Step Up to Save ‘Pirate Bay of Science’
    https://nerdist.com/article/open-acc...brary-genesis/

  10. #210
    Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Republica de Venezuela
    Posts
    6,507

    Default Re: Total War Saga: TROY announced! - general discussion

    It was in Empire Earth greek campaign if I recall correctly.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

  11. #211
    Genava's Avatar Ducenarius
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Geneva
    Posts
    921

    Default Re: Total War Saga: TROY announced! - general discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Baal View Post
    It was in Empire Earth greek campaign if I recall correctly.
    That's Memnon of Rhodes
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memnon_of_Rhodes
    Open Access Defenders Step Up to Save ‘Pirate Bay of Science’
    https://nerdist.com/article/open-acc...brary-genesis/

  12. #212

    Default Total War Saga: TROY announced! - general discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Genava View Post
    White aggressive male, surely since Achilles kills him. Xenophobic I don't think so.
    Well, hard to say about Achilles but ancient Greeks with their Hellen-Barbarian dichotomy and some customs like xenelasia can be considered as xenophobic by modern standards.

    Quote Originally Posted by Genava View Post
    But honestly I prefer the inclusion of a real black figure of the Greek mythology instead of black-washing Achilles like in the BBC series.

    I don't think Memnon has been portrayed a single time in video games or in movies about Troy.
    Can we consider undoubtly Memnon as black(in vase painting he is depicted as white and as well as black)? Wasn't Memnon a son of Troyan prince Tithonos which was moved to ends of the earth by Hesperids?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarrr View Post
    Wasn't Memnon a son of Troyan prince Tithonos which was moved to ends of the earth by Hesperids?
    I checked this and Hesperides didn't moved Memnon anywhere.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; June 18, 2020 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Merged.

  13. #213
    Abdülmecid I's Avatar ¡Ay Carmela!
    Moderation Overseer Civitate Moderation Mentor

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    5,176

    Default Re: Total War Saga: TROY announced! - general discussion

    For mythical figures, like all the named heroes that are mentioned in the Iliad, I don't think there's much point in trying to guess their complexion based on their ancestry. Unless their appearance is somewhere mentioned in the epic (like it does for Achilles), their skin colour can range from rosy pink to greenish yellow. Regarding xenophobia in the Mycenaean world, classical Greece is not very relevant.

    Still, even if we consider Pericles' Athens as our closest available example, in chronological and geographical terms, it would be a bit unfair to judge them as xenophobic. The dichotomy between barbarians and Greeks is mainly detected in specific authors, like Isocrates or the literature of the Second Sophistic, which does not necessarily reflect the mainstream views of your average Greek peasant. For every xenelasia, there was also xeneia, where Greek nobles formed an unbreakable relationship of friendship and solidarity with their noble counterparts, Hellenic and barbaric alike. The list of xenoi includes Thracians, Persians and prominent personalities, like Aegesilaus II of supposedly chauvinistic Sparta. I'm not saying that ancient Greece was a paradise of tolerance, but the real image is more nuanced than the caricature biased moralists, like Plutarch, present.

  14. #214
    Genava's Avatar Ducenarius
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Geneva
    Posts
    921

    Default Re: Total War Saga: TROY announced! - general discussion

    Can we consider undoubtly Memnon as black(in vase painting he is depicted as white and as well as black)? Wasn't Memnon a son of Troyan prince Tithonos which was moved to ends of the earth by Hesperids?
    This is hard to be sure because the original tales are missing, i.e. Aethiopis, but Virgil and Ovid described him as black in their own work.

    Anyway, he is a fictional figure and Greek mythical genealogy never had any sense. We are not talking about people that existed, most of the tales from the Troyan cycle are clearly a "Hellenization of Indo-European poetry" to paraphrase Georges Dumézil. Iliad has clearly older archaism alongside more recent additions from poets. It got fixed when it was written only.

    At least, portraying Memnon as a black king would be a fair depiction according to the classical literature.
    Last edited by Genava; June 18, 2020 at 01:04 PM.
    Open Access Defenders Step Up to Save ‘Pirate Bay of Science’
    https://nerdist.com/article/open-acc...brary-genesis/

  15. #215

    Default Re: Total War Saga: TROY announced! - general discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    For mythical figures, like all the named heroes that are mentioned in the Iliad, I don't think there's much point in trying to guess their complexion based on their ancestry. Unless their appearance is somewhere mentioned in the epic (like it does for Achilles), their skin colour can range from rosy pink to greenish yellow. Regarding xenophobia in the Mycenaean world, classical Greece is not very relevant.

    Still, even if we consider Pericles' Athens as our closest available example, in chronological and geographical terms, it would be a bit unfair to judge them as xenophobic. The dichotomy between barbarians and Greeks is mainly detected in specific authors, like Isocrates or the literature of the Second Sophistic, which does not necessarily reflect the mainstream views of your average Greek peasant. For every xenelasia, there was also xeneia, where Greek nobles formed an unbreakable relationship of friendship and solidarity with their noble counterparts, Hellenic and barbaric alike. The list of xenoi includes Thracians, Persians and prominent personalities, like Aegesilaus II of supposedly chauvinistic Sparta. I'm not saying that ancient Greece was a paradise of tolerance, but the real image is more nuanced than the caricature biased moralists, like Plutarch, present.
    Evaluative dichotomy in Greece existed and probably wasn't Classic or Mycenean period thing but rather old Indo-European custom. Evaluative ethno-linguistic dichotomy is also known in other Indo-European peoples (for example Slavic division Slavs-Němьci, Iranian Airya-Anairya). It is hard by modern standards to not call them to some degree xenophobic(or chevaunistic) when general name for non-Hellenic speaker is pejorative.

  16. #216

    Default Re: Total War Saga: TROY announced! - general discussion

    Must say I'm looking forward to this release. I was late to Thrones of Britannia but by the time of the Allegience update I thought it was a decent game. I've stuck so far to strictly historical titles set in the westen wolrd - sorry 3K & Shogun. I'm intrigued by the heroes having initially been turned off by them. I really like the art style- as I did for ToB - and it's nice to see the bright vibrant battles after the gloom of ToB and the doom of Attila. Plus I'm not an anti-Epic enthusiast so all I need to do is set my reminder for launch day to unlock the title.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •