Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Total War Saga: TROY - general discussion

Default Re: Total War Saga: TROY announced! (trailer, screens & campaign map video)

There is no proof whatsoever that the events narrated in the epics of Homer ever truly occurred. Excavation discoveries have only provided indications that the contents and protagonists of the Iliad could have been possibly been inspired, at a limited extent, from real historical events. Let's keep in mind that the author of these stories was not a contemporary, but instead lived several centuries after the Mycenaean civilisation had collapsed and disintegrated. This is why professional archeologists use the information included in the Iliad to reconstruct the society, warfare, economy, administration and etc. of the 9th and 8th centuries B.C.. For instance, penteconters did not actually exist in the 2nd millennia B.C., but they were instead constructed only in the Archaic or perhaps Geometric Age (Homer mentions Οdysseus' ship as carrying 50 passengers, with their officers and king included). After all, the word does not belong to Mycenaean Greek.

By the way, since we're debating the merits of accuracy, the correct spelling is Iliad and not Hilliad, which is just a satirical poem composed by a snarky British botanist. The first vowel of the Greek word Ἰλιάς is written with a smooth and not a rough breathing, which means that the "H" is completely redundant. To give two similar and relevant examples, Odysseus (Ὀδυσσεύς) is also written with a smooth breathing, but Homer (Ὅμηρος) takes a rough one, hence why an "H" has been added to the Latin alphabet version. These nuanced diacritical marks have completely vanished in the modern Greek language, which explains why such spelling mistakes are so common.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikron View Post
    How about some decent spread out settlements with houses and buildings outside the walls?
    Personally I was never fan of these huge Rome II settlements. They clogged the already narrow map and essentially guaranteed that sieges will represent the majority of settlements as armies hop from one gigantic city to the next. As for the cavalry, it had no place in Bronze Age warfare, as neither the appropriate equipment was available nor were horses big enough to support a rider and his armour. Implementing cavalry would be even more inaccurate than Achilles' shiny helmet, in my opinion, but if you're interested in Thrace, I suspect that a Rhesus DLC focusing on northern Balkans has quite lots of chances, depending on the success of the tent-pole game.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Default Re: Total War Saga: TROY announced! (trailer, screens & campaign map video)

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    There is no proof whatsoever that the events narrated in the epics of Homer ever truly occurred. Excavation discoveries have only provided indications that the contents and protagonists of the Iliad could have been possibly been inspired, at a limited extent, from real historical events. Let's keep in mind that the author of these stories was not a contemporary, but instead lived several centuries after the Mycenaean civilisation had collapsed and disintegrated. This is why professional archeologists use the information included in the Iliad to reconstruct the society, warfare, economy, administration and etc. of the 9th and 8th centuries B.C.. For instance, penteconters did not actually exist in the 2nd millennia B.C., but they were instead constructed only in the Archaic or perhaps Geometric Age (Homer mentions Οdysseus' ship as carrying 50 passengers, with their officers and king included). After all, the word does not belong to Mycenaean Greek.

By the way, since we're debating the merits of accuracy, the correct spelling is Iliad and not Hilliad, which is just a satirical poem composed by a snarky British botanist. The first vowel of the Greek word Ἰλιάς is written with a smooth and not a rough breathing, which means that the "H" is completely redundant. To give two similar and relevant examples, Odysseus (Ὀδυσσεύς) is also written with a smooth breathing, but Homer (Ὅμηρος) takes a rough one, hence why an "H" has been added to the Latin alphabet version. These nuanced diacritical marks have completely vanished in the modern Greek language, which explains why such spelling mistakes are so common.

Personally I was never fan of these huge Rome II settlements. They clogged the already narrow map and essentially guaranteed that sieges will represent the majority of settlements as armies hop from one gigantic city to the next. As for the cavalry, it had no place in Bronze Age warfare, as neither the appropriate equipment was available nor were horses big enough to support a rider and his armour. Implementing cavalry would be even more inaccurate than Achilles' shiny helmet, in my opinion, but if you're interested in Thrace, I suspect that a Rhesus DLC focusing on northern Balkans has quite lots of chances, depending on the success of the tent-pole game.
    That theory -the Homer lived in 8th century BC- is under debate. Why? Because all excavations reveal armors and weapons of the same era Homer described with 100% accuracy.
    A man lived 500 years later and never saw such weapons could not describe them that accuratly.
    The latest example that enforces the theory that the "real" Homer (the blind man) was actually that war's veteran that became a bard to survive in the crumbling world after the war , is the tomp with the Grifin Prince. His armor and weapons found both in the tomp and on his ring juel icon matches perfectly with what armors Homer described. The most recent theory about Homer - o me oron -= the blind man , is that he was a veteran that was blinded in that war and inorder to live he became an bard and told the stories others continue to sink and tell untill someone in the 8th-7th century wrote not to be forgoten. That is why Homer describes too ofter blow hits on the warriors heads that spears and swords penetrate their eyes and heads! In the 8th centuries there were no palton spears , nore Aor swords nore body legth size shields were used ...The 8 shaped shields were also long gone. The thyreos two kind shields were lost with the bronze age. The 8 shaped shields were used by the 1st ranks inorder to brake other phalanxes and the following ranks used simplier long shields. Body armors were high society privileges. In Linear B language found full inventories of weapons, shields, chariots, their weels, armors etc. I would recoment you to read more about bronze age Greece.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

The etymology of Homer's name is not certain. Anyway, no serious researcher suggests that the epics were composed by a contemporary of the events. If you believe otherwise, please cite the relevant academic sources that support your argument. For starters, Homeric Greek is different from Mycenaean Greek and combines elements from Greek dialects that appeared several centuries after the alleged fall of Troy. Sometimes the details, like weaponry, come indeed from the Bronze Age, but others, like funerary customers, were mainstream in the Geometric or even Archaic Era (Mycenaean lords were buried, not cremated). By the way, the idea that Homer did not live during the Bronze Era, not to mention the absurd hypothesis of him being a veteran off this possibly imaginary war, is ancient in itself and can be attested at least since Thucydides' Peloponnesian War.

Senator

@ AnthoniusII:

What sources and findings you are relating to? Almost all shields described in the Iliad are round. The sparse hints which are sometimes interpreted as references to tower shields or figure 8 shields can also be seen as descriptions of huge round shields. Usually it is assumed that tower shields and figure 8 shields were out of use mostly by the 13th c. BC.

Wether a kind of phalanx is described in the Iliad or other sources for the Troyan War is debated. I think it is reasonable to assume that the mass of the foot soldiers formed some line formations, like a proto-phalanx, from which shock troops, with chariots or not, could approach and where to they could retreat. As all shields from the period are of the central grip design, it was not exactly the well known later aspis-based phalanx, but presumably a kind of shield wall also used by armies in Central and Northern Europe. There was surely also a heavy use of the bow in all armies (you can also find several hints in the Iliad), and a spear armed line of soldiers could protect the archers.

In an earlier post you wrote that the Mycenean Greeks used chariots with lances, instead with bows, different or the use of chariots in the more eastern empires. What is the base of such a strong interpretation? I know only one picture which, with some fantasy, can be interpreted as a Greek chariot warrior with a lance (could be also simply the reigns). The masses of arrows and bows listed by the Myceneans as war stuff, the difficulty to use a lance with a chariot and the absence of any written source about it should make you at least careful to state lance use as fact.
    Last edited by geala; September 23, 2019 at 04:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by geala View Post
    @ AnthoniusII:

What sources and findings you are relating to? Almost all shields described in the Iliad are round. The sparse hints which are sometimes interpreted as references to tower shields or figure 8 shields can also be seen as descriptions of huge round shields. Usually it is assumed that tower shields and figure 8 shields were out of use mostly by the 13th c. BC.

Wether a kind of phalanx is described in the Iliad or other sources for the Troyan War is debated. I think it is reasonable to assume that the mass of the foot soldiers formed some line formations, like a proto-phalanx, from which shock troops, with chariots or not, could approach and where to they could retreat. As all shields from the period are of the central grip design, it was not exactly the well known later aspis-based phalanx, but presumably a kind of shield wall also used by armies in Central and Northern Europe. There was surely also a heavy use of the bow in all armies (you can also find several hints in the Iliad), and a spear armed line of soldiers could protect the archers.

In an earlier post you wrote that the Mycenean Greeks used chariots with lances, instead with bows, different or the use of chariots in the more eastern empires. What is the base of such a strong interpretation? I know only one picture which, with some fantasy, can be interpreted as a Greek chariot warrior with a lance (could be also simply the reigns). The masses of arrows and bows listed by the Myceneans as war stuff, the difficulty to use a lance with a chariot and the absence of any written source about it should make you at least careful to state lance use as fact.
    What? Can you read GREEK?

Link 1 .
    Link2 .
    Link3 .
    Link4 .

He could be Ajax

In the Epos Homer describes him one of the few nobles that still used Thyreos shield when other nobles were equipted with round or cresent shape ones for better mobillity. But Ajax stood with his shield like a rock for the rest of the army!
    And now some real evidences:
    The griffin warrior or prince that his tomp found near Mecenean Pyllos.
    His weapons were just like the Homer's description. But more interesting was his medalion.
    The ornament had this
    engraved :

N
    ottice"
    The two diferent AOR swords.
    The 8 shape shield of the defender.
    How the attacker stabs the enemy on the low neck were shoulder meats neck (just like Achiles killed Hector).
    Damn ...this warrior is more than 3100 years old. And Homer that suposed lived 500 years later than him could describe his swords and the shields with an 100% accuracy despite the fact that those weapons were no longer in use for more than 3 centuries from the date Homer was suposed he lived!
    EDIT: If you were able to read Greek you would know that homer described exactly HOW those shields were constructed in the Illiad or Hilliad or name it as you fit better.
    EDIT 2: Myceneans DID have light cavalry side by side with their shock charge chariots!
    Last edited by AnthoniusII; September 23, 2019 at 08:18 AM.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Simply put, those illustrations are not very accurate Antonius II. Greeks predominantly used 8 shields. And had no iron weapons at the time. Nor they could field as many ships.

You may love Iliad but it is not history nor it was devised as such. It was art made to entertain. Perhaps it was well-researched (doubtful) but it was not meant to be history.
    You know... much like the Troy game.

As for the fighting styles and your averse to the "ninja fight" between Hector and Achilles... should I remind you how Diomedes killed Pandarus in a Hollywood-esque fashion, driving his spear in an impossible angle through Pandarus' head, as If he had made a 3m high jump?
    Last edited by alhoon; September 23, 2019 at 09:28 AM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

AnthoniusII you wrote so much that you have better sources. However, it's out that not at all. Most elements of what you showed are older than the Trojan War, sometimes more than 300 years, and that's a lot. I think the units shown by CA are more appropriate to the era (except for Achilles and Hector, who have a fantasy look).

Great work by CA based on historical sources:

Nice art by Johnny Shumate

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/44/55...39527a5572.jpg

source of shield:

Round shields:

Pylos dated around 1300 BC.

Large krater from Tiryns dated C. 1250 BC

In krater fragment from Tiryns two warriors in chariot carryng small round shield and two javelins or light spears are depicted.

Warriors Vase Krater - five warriors are equipped with large round shields

Nice replica:

https://www.antiquesnavigator.com/ar...1850828948.jpg

This site explains a lot. At the very top you can choose weapon/shield/helmet etc. types and periods.

http://www.salimbeti.com/micenei/index.htm
    Last edited by KLAssurbanipal; September 23, 2019 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    That theory -the Homer lived in 8th century BC- is under debate.
    Yeah, some researchers actually place him in the 7th century BC...

Nikron's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Well, I'm a fan of the Rome 2/Attila settlements and always wanted more of them, as in a more region focused TW title with at least triple the number of settlements per region, like in RotR.

As for the horseback riding, the link below gives substantial evidence that it was indeed used.

https://www.academia.edu/1532320/Hor...cenaean_Greece

It might not have been that widespread of course, but this is the perfect chance to combine history and mythology since we're talking about Troy and the Iliad and have a unit of elite "Centaurs" together with very basic light cavalry to harrass archers and slingers.

Nerfing them will force us to use them less and only to harrass in specific situations, therefore creating a historically accurate implementation.

CA's job is to try their best (which they dont) to provide an as realistic and historically accurate as possible starting date, whereas after that it's our choice to roleplay and adopt either Steppe, Near Eastern, or fully hoplite style of warfare as the leader of a specific city state.

We can all be picky with hundreds of details from Troy, but limiting the fun from an already limited and highly speculative title is suicidal from a TW fan's point of view.

I'll be honest I'll play this game only because it's since 2013 that I play Rome 2 and that's thanks to DEI. Last thing I want for DEI team or other modders is to face challenges in having to create the animation of a horseback rider themselves

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

I'm not a specialist but even if there are evidences of the use of horse riding from 1400BC in Grece, cavalry (as such) doesn't seem to have played a major role on battle fields before several centuries later (Messenian War and Lelantine War).

According to 'Conflict in Ancient Greece and Rome: The Definitive Political, Social, and Military Encyclopedia':
    Aristotle (...) links the importance placed on cavalry with oligarchic states. It should be noted that in fact hippeis, the Greek word for horsemen, almost always refers to the elite classes. Only they could afford the enormous cost of maintening horses. However, this does not prove that these men fought as true cavalry, only that they possessed great wealth and status. For example, the secong highest census class in the Solonian constitution in early sixth century Athens were called hippeis, but there is scant evidence that this meant anything other than that they could afford to own a horse.
    And there are several examples following that paragraph (see here).

So all in all, I tend to agree with Abdülmecid about cavalry during the Trojan War.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

In Bronze AGE cavalry as we mean it today was indeed a secondary corp , mostly patroling borders , harass enemies in retreat etc.
    Myceneans never had horse archers. Never used archery on chariots . Archers for Myceneans were so rare that considered ellite "commando" type troops.
    The terain in south Balkans di not allow the use of hundreds of chariots. In fact because of the mud in autum and winder Myceneans made stone made roads with grooves where chariot weels put in to!!
    In th east the open plains allowed the use for chariots with two or three warriors mainly ussing throwing spears and bows. But in the west myceneans used their chariots like knights used their horses!
    Also the narrow plains and the lack of many archers forced myceneans to develop the first phalanx.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by izzi View Post
    Boring as hell. Getting tiered of all those melee specific games. ETW2 when? Pike and Shot when? Victoria TW when? With Naval battles, when? Jeezes! Just don't care CA! Give the gunpowder boys something. The melee and fantasy boys had enough for now.
    There wont be ETW2 on the same TW3 engine. Will probably get another Medieval to close the chapter of this engine.

I believe it was said somewhere that this game will feature most of Anatolia (thus explaining the Hittites).

My concern is that we will never see the rest of the bronze age civilizations covered. The Hittites were a big one and I don't see Egypt having it's own game without them. I would have preferred Mycenaean Greece, Assyrans, Elam, Egyptians, Canaan and Babylon to the game we got now. And now I feel like the bronze age will never be covered.

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Nikron View Post
    Well, I'm a fan of the Rome 2/Attila settlements and always wanted more of them, as in a more region focused TW title with at least triple the number of settlements per region, like in RotR.

As for the horseback riding, the link below gives substantial evidence that it was indeed used.

https://www.academia.edu/1532320/Hor...cenaean_Greece

It might not have been that widespread of course, but this is the perfect chance to combine history and mythology since we're talking about Troy and the Iliad and have a unit of elite "Centaurs" together with very basic light cavalry to harrass archers and slingers.
    The idea of cavalry as something truly special and unique, instead of just another unit type you splash into your army sounds quite intriguing to me. I'm a fan of limited rosters, as having armies that have a large weakness (or even total lack) of a certain unit type can also make for some really interesting gameplay, as you have to use creative tactics to compensate.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

https://www.pcgamer.com/a-total-war-...-and-monsters/
    This is where the Trojan Horse comes in. Unfortunately, you won't be bundling warriors into the belly of a wooden horse, but there will be events and features inspired by it. Some historians have suggested that the Trojan horse is an allegory for earthquakes, which may have been the real reason the city fell. Poseidon, the god of big waves and big quakes, was also the god of horses, so the wooden horse could represent his wrath. These earthquakes will be present in the game and plague the city, softening it up for attack.

Actual horses won't feature that much in Troy. The Bronze Age Trojans and Greeks used horses in war, but largely for transport or as status symbols. Some warriors will get to ride around in chariots, but cavalry is rare. In their absence, more attention has been given to infantry. There's the introduction of new flanking abilities, the option to switch weapon stances and new terrain types, complete with environmental obstacles.
    Focusing on units is just one part of battle. For me terrain and those new flanking/weapon switching abilities sound pretty good. As always, it is about tools given to us to play. More tools,more diversity. If there is enough difference between light/heavy infantry, skirmishers and such units. Honestly I´m waiting for bigger interaction with enviroment (forest fire etc..like proper one), dynamic weather....mud after rain etc. Ok lot of those are not viable "here".. :-)
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Total War: Troy. Good meme CA.

I wonder if they'll bother fixing their siege AI for a game which is inspired by a siege battle.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

From my personal perspective, I wish the CA team all the best with their new endeavour but I will skip this - it's just not in my historical interest. The Hellenistic period of Rome / Rome 2 is fabulous, but the more ancient world for me with heroes is not my cup of tea.

I do hope it will have better mechanics than ToB though.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Hmm, will there be lots of naval combat in this one?

Total War has never been 100% historically authentic, they've said it numerous times... so all the kids getting upset at everything not being 100% should sit down and eat their lunch, relax a bit stop clogging up the thread with childish back and forth.

Also complaining about no Naval Battles, c'mon really!? when have naval battles ever been something to do in Total War ? they've always been a point and click mess, it's hilarious to me that guys are complaining about no naval battles.

I look forward to modding teams getting their hands on this game as much as I look forward to it's release, there are some really cool possibilities.

I am not that impressed. I wanted a Bronze age game, but one more focus on the Near East. I also not a big fan of hybrid games based on legendary stories of the past. It seems to be lazy development. You will spend a lot less time developing a game if you are not bogged down with historical accuracy. Perhaps we are too blame, choice of expediency as led to a lack of historical detail and fantasy is certainly safer. If the game is not historical, you have more freedom to develop it. Sarcasm aside, I do not want to fight Hollywood battle. Over the years, the battles went from groundbreaking to redundant to near juvenile affairs. The lack of development in this area meant they have tinkered with other approaches. The thing is, the battles was their market. I supposed if they have a historical version, the I may think about it because i do like the time period. However, unlike China, I have no vested interest in enduring an afterthought historical approach to gameplay.

Concerning naval battle; they sucked in Rome II and they never improved afterwards, so what does CA have to lose by not including them. BTW, unlike many on here, I actually enjoyed and liked ToB. It is scary that is the last historical title.