Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Total War Saga: TROY - general discussion

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Total War Saga: TROY announced! (trailer, screens & campaign map video)

Weren't there rumours about this before? I already knew it was Troy for some reason but I can't remember why.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Total War Saga: TROY announced! (trailer, screens & campaign map video)

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    Weren't there rumours about this before? I already knew it was Troy for some reason but I can't remember why.
    There were issue with registered Troy trademark like month ago? Plus Troy war/Bronze Age Collapse was one scenario we were brainstorming in second thread...
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...-2-(after-ToB)
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

I found Hittites in one screen:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Some sources of units (screens) and heroes (box artwork), but Achilles and Hector (from trailer) have a fantasy look.

Last edited by KLAssurbanipal; September 23, 2019 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Osprey images removed!

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

I am looking forward to this game. I haven't played 3K yet, but I know heroes play a large part in that game. I hope this carries to this game too.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

As I predicted this game "rapes" Greek Mythology/History. I saw the duel and i was wondering were the ninjas will pop up from the earth!
    Such a twisted version of the Bronze Age warriors is too much to ignore. At least they should ask some historians to translate some phraces from Hilliad to have something in mind.
    If i would be minister of education of Greece i would took them to courts for twisted portay of my heritage!!!! The Duel is a direct copy of Brand Pit 's one in the novie Troy! Question..should would we expect Zena to apear in game too?
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; September 26, 2019 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Personal ref. removed
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    As I predicted this game "rapes" Greek Mythology/History. I saw the duel and i was wondering were the ninjas will pop up from the earth!
    Such a twisted version of the Bronze Age warriors is too much to ignore. At least they should ask some historians to translate some phraces from Hilliad to have something in mind.
    If i would be minister of education of Greece i would took them to courts for twisted portay of my heritage!!!! The Duel is a direct copy of Brand Pit 's one in the novie Troy! Question..should would we expect Zena to apear in game too?
    They could be dueling using dildos and the Greek Education minister could say jack legally. You didn't provide a single substance to indicate how they were "raping" Greek history. Illiad chapter 22, gods trick Hector into a duel with Achilles where Achilles win and then drag Hector's body behind his chariot. That's the myth of their duel. So, what did they show wrong?
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; September 26, 2019 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Quote edited for continuity
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    They could be dueling using dildos and the Greek Education minister could say jack legally. You didn't provide a single substance to indicate how they were "raping" Greek history. Illiad chapter 22, gods trick Hector into a duel with Achilles where Achilles win and then drag Hector's body behind his chariot. That's the myth of their duel. So, what did they show wrong?
    So you read Hilliad...So DESCRIBE the duel between Achiles and Hector.
    I am curius if you read that part...I am waiting your description. Remember that in Greece we study Hilliad both in its original text and its modern greek translation ....
    I am waiting your description...
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

So you read Hilliad...So DESCRIBE the duel between Achiles and Hector.
    I am curius if you read that part...I am waiting your description. Remember that in Greece we study Hilliad both in its original text and its modern greek translation ....
    I am waiting your description...
    Why do you want me to do your work for you?
    The Armenian Issue

Why do you want me to do your work for you?
    SO you still want to apear that you have a valid opinion in the matter. Still the only part of the Achiles-Hector duel you know is that Achiles draged the Hector's dead body with his chariot.
    So HAVE you any knowlege of the Hilliad or not? IF not let others that have to say valid observations and learn...Knowing nothing about a sunject is no shame...Shame is the attempt you make to apear your self as cognizant of a matter you know nothing.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; September 26, 2019 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Personal Ref. part removed

AnthoniusII look at my post at this page. Warriors look historical. Only Achilles and Hector are fantasy. ...and I found Hittites.

Quote Originally Posted by KLAssurbanipal View Post
    I found Hittites in one screen:

Some sources of units (screens) and heroes (box artwork), but Achilles and Hector (from trailer) have a fantasy look.

Last edited by KLAssurbanipal; September 23, 2019 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Osprey images removed!

SO you still want to apear that you have a valid opinion in the matter. Still the only part of the Achiles-Hector duel you know is that Achiles draged the Hector's dead body with his chariot.
    So HAVE you any knowlege of the Hilliad or not? IF not let others that have to say valid observations and learn...Knowing nothing about a sunject is no shame...Shame is the attempt you make to apear your self as cognizant of a matter you know nothing.
    Interesting. We have spend what? 4 posts between us after you provided your opinion that they were raping history? Right. I recall specifically asking you what they showed wrong. That would include what you think is based on history in an accurate manner. Clearly, I didn't get an answer to that did I? It makes me wonder why you would drag your feet like this for something so simple. And, you're telling me to learn from others when my entire premise is based on asking you substantiate what you think is really based on history and what's not. So interesting...
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; September 26, 2019 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Quote edited for continuity
    The Armenian Issue

It's hilarious to me how all these Warhammer and 3K fantasy nerds got their panties in a bunch, I guess they were expecting WH3 or 3K-2...
    These spoiled asswipes have had multiple fantasy titles within a short span of just a few years, and CA throws us history buffs a little bone in with a small Saga title, so not even a full fledged TW.... but those fantasy edge lords are throwing a fit right now, all over the YouTube and Reddit comment sections...

I'm glad they went with a more historical approach, and also on the flip side all you guys complaining about it not being 100% historically accurate, well CA has always said they don't make fully historical authentic games, so you should already know this.
    Wait for one of the mod teams to do something about that, or learn how to mod and do it yourself instead of sitting here talking about how they're "Raping Greek history"

Moderator Emeritus

It's a game based on mythology, it's not historical simulation.
    As a Greek that loved Iliad in the Middle School, I can tell you this doesn't bother me at all and we treat our mythology worse than this.

For starters AntoniusII, Homer wasn't that kind with actual history you know. Remember those "Walls" on the beach that Neptune destroyed? Or the iron weapons in 1200BC? Or the number of ships Ithaca supposedly brought at a time before they became a local power in Ionian sea?

As a minister of education, you would be faced with the problem of freedom of expression if you tried to bring a company to court over "twisted portray of Greek heritage".

It's not an exam AntoniusII. A non-Greek has no reason to know the Iliad in depth in order to enjoy a game.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; September 26, 2019 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Quote edited for continuity
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by izzi View Post
    Boring as hell. Getting tiered of all those melee specific games. ETW2 when? Pike and Shot when? Victoria TW when? With Naval battles, when? Jeezes! Just don't care CA! Give the gunpowder boys something. The melee and fantasy boys had enough for now.
    Same feeling here. Atm I am more hype about a post Middle Age setting than anything else. That or Warhammer 3.

Literally everyone that liked Greek history wanted a Total War game that covered Troy.
    In all honesty I find the Hellenistic Era far more interesting, fascinating, mysterious. By comparison Troy sounds like a Hollywood B-Movie made TW imho.

Obviously it is not a big deal since Rome 2 remains recent.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Honestly I would build it about whole Middle-east area and Bronze Age Collapse scenario but this could work too. We will see. And it sounds like having no fantasy or magic at all. Heroes while being trendy lately...well Greek sources are full of heroes so it makes sense here. Of course Hollywood style is tax....as are viking,samurai for other TW settings.

EDIT: only sad part about Troy is no naval combat but then I have really no idea how naval combat in that period even looked like....

Problem with Empire/Victoria or any moddern setting is that CA is as of lately trying to avoid naval combat at all. There were previously some comments that only a few player have been enjoying the naval battles. (whatever we think about it...)

And honestly I´m glad that WH3 will be out probably in Q1-Q3 2021. It means CA is working more on it, probably more changes can occur..like new sieges?
    Last edited by Daruwind; September 22, 2019 at 05:32 AM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Sixt's Avatar Civis

Historical titles? from chinese kungfu- fantasy game to now greek myth fantasy game. Im gonna pass this. I was hoping something in 1700 to 1900 era, where there alot of small conflicts there could justify a saga title. Would also be a nice change to ever lasting titles with melee combat.

Quote Originally Posted by KLAssurbanipal View Post
    AnthoniusII look at my post at this page. Warriors look historical. Only Achilles and Hector are fantasy. ...and I found Hittites.

I have better sources but as I pointed out CA/SEGA must get a writen permision to use them. I contacted Mr G.Rava and others in FB and exchanged opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    It's a game based on mythology, it's not historical simulation.
    As a Greek that loved Iliad in the Middle School, I can tell you this doesn't bother me at all and we treat our mythology worse than this.

For starters AntoniusII, Homer wasn't that kind with actual history you know. Remember those "Walls" on the beach that Neptune destroyed? Or the iron weapons in 1200BC? Or the number of ships Ithaca supposedly brought at a time before they became a local power in Ionian sea?

As a minister of education, you would be faced with the problem of freedom of expression if you tried to bring a company to court over "twisted portray of Greek heritage".

It's not an exam AntoniusII. A non-Greek has no reason to know the Iliad in depth in order to enjoy a game.
    First of all if we exlude the "Gods" from the frame is HISTORY proven findings. I agree that this is not exam, but when someone uses a phrase from Hilliad to play the "wise guy" and use irony he must prove what he knows to avoid do it again..If you do not know someting you do not play the wise in that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna_Gein View Post
    Same feeling here. Atm I am more hype about a post Middle Age setting than anything else. That or Warhammer 3.

In all honesty I find the Hellenistic Era far more interesting, fascinating, mysterious. By comparison Troy sounds like a Hollywood B-Movie made TW imho.

Obviously it is not a big deal since Rome 2 remains recent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Honestly I would build it about whole Middle-east area and Bronze Age Collapse scenario but this could work too. We will see. And it sounds like having no fantasy or magic at all. Heroes while being trendy lately...well Greek sources are full of heroes so it makes sense here. Of course Hollywood style is tax....as are viking,samurai for other TW settings.

EDIT: only sad part about Troy is no naval combat but then I have really no idea how naval combat in that period even looked like....

Problem with Empire/Victoria or any moddern setting is that CA is as of lately trying to avoid naval combat at all. There were previously some comments that only a few player have been enjoying the naval battles. (whatever we think about it...)

And honestly I´m glad that WH3 will be out probably in Q1-Q3 2021. It means CA is working more on it, probably more changes can occur..like new sieges?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixt View Post
    Historical titles? from chinese kungfu- fantasy game to now greek myth fantasy game. Im gonna pass this. I was hoping something in 1700 to 1900 era, where there alot of small conflicts there could justify a saga title. Would also be a nice change to ever lasting titles with melee combat.
    In fact The Bronze age is quite fascinated. Lets pretent that the hilarius duel between Achiles and Hector was not in game but totaly uneducated game developers.
    The warfare differences between east and west in bronze age were enormous. Eastern armies frm Heteans to Egyptians used thousands of chariots with archers but also thousands of archers as infantry with average armored warriors.
    In the west (Greece in this case) , chariots were fewer and used LANCERS instead of archers or javelinmen. Archers were fewer but on the other hand all bronze age western armies used Phalanx formations for their infantry to withstand chariot carges!
    The body leghth shields and for more ellite warriors , bronze armors were the meaning for those tight infantry formations. But they holded their long spears upper armed above their long shields. Those 4 m spears had 1m long bronze spearhead and were known as palton from the greek verb palomai which means swing...That swing of the spear was the result of the heavy spearhead. Greeks also had 5 diferent swords and they were better swordmen because their ceramonial duels ended with their swords.
    That duel with Brand Pit ussing ninja moves are the real "rape" of the Epos! The duel started by throwing their spears against their opponet and then charged to clash their shields and use their swords. Achiles stabed Hector's right side of his neck were neck meats the shoulder because armors had a gap there to allow heads to move! (Source : Homer Hilliad). So imagine armies to try to use the proper battle ground inorder to use their own warfare to their advandage. Also we do know how Bronze Age naval battles were made. The principal ships were penticontoros (a ship with 50 rows /25 per side) and the battle was made with long spears like palton and archers and finally boarding the enemy ship. There are hundreds of potery images showing naval battles.

I have better sources but as I pointed out CA/SEGA must get a writen permision to use them. I contacted Mr G.Rava and others in FB and exchanged opinions.
    I posted only sources of CA's artworks/screens, no my all sources. Not only you have sources of it. I have thousands photos and pictures of ancient military, all ancient Ospreys, Concord, Montvert etc.
    http://www.salimbeti.com/micenei/helmets3.htm

First of all if we exlude the "Gods" from the frame is HISTORY proven findings. I agree that this is not exam, but when someone uses a phrase from Hilliad to play the "wise guy" and use irony he must prove what he knows to avoid do it again..If you do not know someting you do not play the wise in that matter.
    Ironically, your description there describes your own conduct quite nicely. Are you gonna tell us how this game "rapes" Greek history or not?
    The Armenian Issue

Moderator Emeritus

First of all if we exlude the "Gods" from the frame is HISTORY proven findings.
    No, it's not.
    As I said, there were no Mycenean built walls on the beach, Greeks didn't have iron weapons and Ithaca didn't bring tons of ships and people. The whole number of people amassing outside the walls of Troy is also massively exaggerated by Homer. It's a time before three crops rotation with agriculture in very early forms. They would have starved quickly even if they looted everything.