Thread: Battle tactics when playing as the Romans in the Rise of the Republic campaign

Default Battle tactics when playing as the Romans in the Rise of the Republic campaign

I'm currently playing a campaign as the Romans in the Rise of the Republic in "very hard". Both Veii and Cisra are already mine now. Obviously I managed to finally defeat the Veii faction but I struggled to win battles because all my battles were won with "close victory" against armies that were about the same size of my army. I really wish to win all my battles with either heroic or decisive victory ( at least when there is a balance in terms of numbers of men) in order to reduce to the maximum the number of losses ( because I don't like the idea of replenishing my army in a emergency situation by hiring mercenaries ( they're too expensive, you know )

So, are there any battle tactics ( when playing as the Romans ) that work against all the Rise of the Republic factions ( so that you win battles with less effort )? Or does it depend on what faction is the enemy army from? Currently, my armies are composed by level 2 barracks. I hope I make it to level 3 as soon as possible in order to have access to stronger military units

And as to battles, I refer to these 4 scenarios:

- when defending a city with or without walls
    - When attacking a city with or without walls
    - In a large open field
    - In a area with some hills

Default Re: Battle tactics when playing as the Romans in the Rise of the Republic campaign

Play like a Greek faction is my advice. Your cavalry sucks from what I remember so only use them to mop up routing units. Make a thin line of high defensive units as your anvil and use javelins as your hammer (fire into the backs of the engaged enemy). Use cavalry to ward off enemy cavalry and ranged unis. Abuse your general abilities like hell.

Sieges are a bit trickier. I actually recommend defeating your enemy on the field and forcing them to sally out.

Default Re: Battle tactics when playing as the Romans in the Rise of the Republic campaign

Do you mean it is better to just make a defensive line and let the enemy come if the battle is in an open field? What I notice when I just wait the enemy to come is that my enemy comes with range units in the front to shoot at my infantry line. I think I shouldn't let them fire too much at my infantry line.

Yes. You're right. The Roman calvary in the Rise of the Republic campaign is not good against infantry or other cavalry units.

Since there are no siege machines that allows you to fire from distance, I really don't like assaulting a city if it's walled.

Yes. Another tactic that works wonders in the Rome 2 engine is what I call the "checkerboard" formation. Get your spearmen into tight formations (hoplite wall, etc.) and spread them out like a checkerboard so that there's at least two rows. Then fill the gaps with javelins. When the enemy crashes against your infantry, you javelins can fire into their backs and flanks.

Walled cities just need to be starved out so that the enemy sallies against you in the field.

I think you cannot recruit javelin men yet while you don't have level 3 barracks yet ( Meanwhile, you can by hiring mercenaries )

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyPistol View Post
    Yes. Another tactic that works wonders in the Rome 2 engine is what I call the "checkerboard" formation. Get your spearmen into tight formations (hoplite wall, etc.) and spread them out like a checkerboard so that there's at least two rows. Then fill the gaps with javelins. When the enemy crashes against your infantry, you javelins can fire into their backs and flanks.

Walled cities just need to be starved out so that the enemy sallies against you in the field.
    And if you have to defend a city with or without walls, what tactics do you normally use? Can choke points be very useful specially if you're outnumbered?

Quote Originally Posted by twgamer20197 View Post
    And if you have to defend a city with or without walls, what tactics do you normally use? Can choke points be very useful specially if you're outnumbered?
    Wall cities are pretty easy to handle in RotR. Keep your walls manned with sword armed units as most of your enemies should be using hoplites or other spears.

In towns and villages try to lure the enemy in between buildings and sandwich them between units.

In case it is a battle in the open, what if the enemy army waits for me instead of coming at me? In that case I guess there's no choice but advancing to charge at the enemy ( Often, when the enemy doesn't want to advance but just wait for you, normally its range units are in the front to shoot you as you approach.

Quote Originally Posted by twgamer20197 View Post
    In case it is a battle in the open, what if the enemy army waits for me instead of coming at me? In that case I guess there's no choice but advancing to charge at the enemy ( Often, when the enemy doesn't want to advance but just wait for you, normally its range units are in the front to shoot you as you approach.
    I'm going to be honest, I can't recall a battle in my Rome playthrough where I was the initiator on the open field unless it was mopping up or heavily sided in my favor, in which case I autoresolve. The AI is very aggressive and constantly tries to intercept my armies in RotR.

In my other campaigns, if the enemy was waiting for me I would use that time to find the higher ground and advance from there. I usually go with my defensive infantry (shields, high armor) in front to screen against the slingers and archers, and try to punch a hole in the center line while my flanks wrap around the rest of their infantry. Disrupt and surround, then have whatever cavalry or ranged units get behind enemy lines and charge/fire into their backs.
    Last edited by LuckyPistol; September 24, 2019 at 08:50 AM.

In case you need to advance, do you advance running or just walking? I guess it is better by walking in order to save energy for your infantry units

You are correct. Save that running for when it counts.

You are correct. Save that running for when it counts.
    Maybe one example of when you need to run is when you ran out of cavalry units and the enemy troops are not too far from you and you need to close distance as fast as you can in order to minimize casualties caused by enemy range units or to chase the enemy range units that are still left
    Last edited by twgamer20197; September 24, 2019 at 03:19 PM.