Thread: Another possible time Periods covered?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Another possible time Periods covered?

I think it would be interesting to make (when the main campaing will be finished of course) a campaing centered in the transition between the old Roman military and administrative organization to the middle Byzantine one between the end of the eight century and the begining of the ninth: the time of the rule of the empress Irene or even better a bit later under the rule of Nikephoros I (a member of the Ghassanid bloodline) when were formaly established the reforms from the themata and tagmata armies, and during the wars against the Bulgars and Slavs in the Balkans, against the Abbasids in Anatolia and the Lombards in Italy.
    Last edited by Rampante-Cid; September 18, 2019 at 05:43 AM.

Default Re: Another possible time periods covered?

Ignore double post.
    Last edited by Rampante-Cid; September 18, 2019 at 05:52 AM.

Default Re: Another possible time Periods covered?

We have talked about doing an early 8th century mod down the line.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

The "Theme system" was actually just a method of recruitment that originated under Valentinian II in 386 and was re-implemented by Charlemagne and Nikephoros I. But yes, we have plans for other time periods eventually, including the 8th Century. Unfortunately Attila's map is not exactly conducive to an eastern-focused campaign, barring the Grand Campaign map. We may look to Rome 2 Total War for some campaigns as a result, such as a 3rd Century campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    The "Theme system" was actually just a method of recruitment that originated under Valentinian II in 386 and was re-implemented by Charlemagne and Nikephoros I. But yes, we have plans for other time periods eventually, including the 8th Century. Unfortunately Attila's map is not exactly conducive to an eastern-focused campaign, barring the Grand Campaign map. We may look to Rome 2 Total War for some campaigns as a result, such as a 3rd Century campaign.
    Great news!

Personally I would love a campaing during the rule of the Isaurian dynasty of Leo III and Constantine V (and their Iconoclastic politics) with the last Arab siege of Constantinople, the Khazar-Arab wars for the Caucassus, and the begining of the "reconquest and rehellenization" of Greece from the Slavic tribes which marauded from Macedonia to the Peloponnese at this time.

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    Unfortunately Attila's map is not exactly conducive to an eastern-focused campaign, barring the Grand Campaign map. We may look to Rome 2 Total War for some campaigns as a result, such as a 3rd Century campaign.
    I'm afraid that R2 maps are as bad as the Attila ones. Especially when it comes to the representation of the East, the grand campaign map is the only one that covers it and that one, unless I'm mistaken, is identical in Attila and R2 with regard to the number of regions, size, geographical features, etc.