Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: Ex-officer accused of racist social media posts finds a new job

  1. #1
    Tiro
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    219

    Default Ex-officer accused of racist social media posts finds a new job

    https://ktul.com/news/local/ex-offic...inds-a-new-job

    "Duke" Brown said some things on social media that were "racist" and "posted a picture attacking religious beliefs." You'll find that out about 40 seconds into the video. This was brought to the attention of his law enforcement agency and he was fired. This is shortly after completing his training to be a deputy. One month later he is rehired by the agency to work in office.

    These things are not only reported on for people in government positions, which really makes for the greatest news, but it happens to nobodies too. There are obvious problems with a pluralistic thinking/ideas and multiracial/multicultural government, yet the majority are unwilling to confront this, and the majority are propelled in their careers for attacking the people making arguments. If diversity and equality and the ideas that fall under egalitarianism were without fault, then there would be no need for this type of news to show how questioning policies can ruin your path of life. The most common excuse is for pacifism, encouraging government to act against the people making arguments against policy because they can be colored violent.

    So do discuss, and read this over, and ask some basic things. Leave the specifics to the side such as, "But police officers should not be questioning the nature of policing diverse cities."
    Last edited by Bob69Joe; October 03, 2019 at 06:57 PM.
    Gornahoor|Liber esse, scientiam acquirere, veritatum loqui
    Crow states: "If you would be a great leader, then learn the way of the Tao. Relinquish the need to control. Let go of plans and of concepts. The world will govern itself. The more restrictive you are, the less virtuous people will be. The more force you display, the less secure they will feel. The more subsidies you provide, the less self-reliant they become. Therefore the master says: Un-write the law, thus the people become honest. Dispense with economics, thus the people become prosperous. Do without religion, thus the people become serene. Let go all desire for the common good, and the good becomes as common as the grass." ~ Lao Tzu - Tao te tching
    MONARCHY NATION TRANSCENDENCE

  2. #2
    Protector Domesticus
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    4,573

    Default Re: Ex-officer accused of racist social media posts finds a new job

    I don't see what's wrong with firing racists, but those posts don't seem racist to me. They're a little cringe worthy but other than that they're fine I guess.

  3. #3
    Tiro
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    219

    Default Re: Ex-officer accused of racist social media posts finds a new job

    This case is hardly a private matter. The racist was fired by a consensus of government agencies and networked media companies.

    Employers can be sued for appearing to be racist when not hiring certain groups of people.
    _____
    Furthermore, Podromos, the curious fact that the news was following on this. The article is an update to the man's firing by the same agency that has rehired him.

    It is as if to state that those who work for the government must not deviate from an ideology. This paranoia has riddled itself in all aspects of life, which is why the news does so without reflection into what is being established. When will the reflection come if ever? Will government finally have equality in all of its bureaucracy and then, and only then, will it be able to determine the quality of its governing?
    Last edited by Bob69Joe; October 03, 2019 at 09:46 PM.
    Gornahoor|Liber esse, scientiam acquirere, veritatum loqui
    Crow states: "If you would be a great leader, then learn the way of the Tao. Relinquish the need to control. Let go of plans and of concepts. The world will govern itself. The more restrictive you are, the less virtuous people will be. The more force you display, the less secure they will feel. The more subsidies you provide, the less self-reliant they become. Therefore the master says: Un-write the law, thus the people become honest. Dispense with economics, thus the people become prosperous. Do without religion, thus the people become serene. Let go all desire for the common good, and the good becomes as common as the grass." ~ Lao Tzu - Tao te tching
    MONARCHY NATION TRANSCENDENCE

  4. #4

    Default Re: Ex-officer accused of racist social media posts finds a new job

    OP shows how rubbish political discourse has become in the US. A sherrif takes pity on a failed cop who can't follow basic rules, he also takes on another cop who left after killing an unarmed man.Nothing to do with muliculturalism and everything with this employer willing to take anyone with police experience, even the dodgy ones.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

    "Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Ex-officer accused of racist social media posts finds a new job

    Let's see if we can get him fired from this job as well.
    Optio, Legio I Latina

  6. #6

    Default Re: Ex-officer accused of racist social media posts finds a new job

    This is the problem with American policing in general, no real central authority or standard of training.

  7. #7
    Cohors_Evocata's Avatar Ordinarius
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    On the crossroads
    Posts
    798

    Default Re: Ex-officer accused of racist social media posts finds a new job

    I dunno if racist is the right term to describe his posts, but I certainly wouldn't consider them fitting for one aiming to be an active duty officer.

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 


    A presumably armed officer of the law ought not be flying a traitors' flag or indicating a propensity for violent conduct. I imagine his views/posts were missed (either intentionally or not) during the vetting process as he was selected and he was fired as soon as that was revealed. Should he have been hired again? I dunno, but his posts might indicate that he is perhaps not be the right person for the job. Really, this story is a nothingburger. OP attempts to push the idea that the guy was censored because of his political beliefs, when really his statements on violence should have disqualified him in the first place. I understand the police need to resort to force sometimes, but one would want them to demonstrate restraint. I mean, even if the posts above are edgy humor, what sort of image does that project to the people he would be supposed to serve? I might pepperspray protesters if I don't like them?

    Images taken from https://www.facebook.com/marql/posts/10218164572439124, through these news articles: https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/rece...e50b8dec2.html (had to use outline to read this one though).
    https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmat...U6D4oG7crAP-Q/
    Last edited by Cohors_Evocata; October 04, 2019 at 10:17 AM.
    I tend to edit my posts once or several times after writing and uploading them. Please keep this in mind when reading a recent post of mine. Also, should someone, for some unimaginable reason, wish to rep me, please add your username in the process, so I can at least know whom to be grateful towards.

    My thanks in advance.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Ex-officer accused of racist social media posts finds a new job

    Quote Originally Posted by 95thrifleman View Post
    This is the problem with American policing in general, no real central authority or standard of training.
    Agreed. Likewise Cohors_Evocata's post.
    Last edited by mongrel; October 04, 2019 at 12:45 PM.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

    "Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Ex-officer accused of racist social media posts finds a new job

    Quote Originally Posted by 95thrifleman View Post
    This is the problem with American policing in general, no real central authority or standard of training.
    True, and in this case, there is no clear definition of what is and what is not, acceptable behaviour.

    Looking at the officer's post, they don't seem to be "in racist" , although one can regard them as rather questionable.

    Defining what would be acceptable conduct can be more difficult than some imagine. While no one should advocate violence, as a police officer.sometime force, in other words, violence, will be necessary at time to perform their job, even if it should be the last resort. Poorly expressing the fact shouldn't automatically be grounds for dismissal. Likewise, an off color joke in poor taste shouldn't necessarily be grounds for dismally either, as with the joke of about demonstrators being hosed that they look "thirsty". Nor the standard I would hope for one's police, but we can't expect police to be all saints either.

    Clearly defining what is, and what is not acceptable behaviour isn't always easy, but it is something that I think needs to be done. Someone from the left may call racist anyone who expresses the view that Sub Saharan African civilizations were not quite on par with other old world xicilizations as a racist, but that simply because they say it doesn't make it so. The idea may be wrong, and based on faulty and outdated information, but not racist. By publically debate into and setting agreed upon standard of behaviour, we can avoid the case where one side can label anyone "racist" simply because that person does not agree with them. And standards for a police Captain or sheriff, should be higher than what we expect of a mere deputy or common.police officer.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Ex-officer accused of racist social media posts finds a new job

    I don't envision central authority in the way that most people do. There are big flaws in the current structure of US law enforcement, but I don't see the entire system as inherently flawed. There is no direct chain of command between Federal, State, County, and Municipal level law enforcement. I.E., the Governor of New York does not have a direct chain of command to the Police Commissioner of New York Police Department. There is certainly an indirect level of accountability between the two, or the Justice Department and every single police commissioner, but by and large, every single police department is beholden only to their local government.

    I think the issue, like you said, a lack of standards and oversight. There is no necessity for the Governor or the President to have the ability to fire police commissioners or whatever, but there should be a stronger self-correcting mechanism between central authority and each individual branch. Note that this will cut both ways for every political allegiance. For example, in State Washington, local services like Department of Licensing, State Patrol and other local law enforcement agencies have mostly refused to co-operate with ICE and other federal authorities to crack down on illegal immigrants. On the other hand, Southern states like Texas and Alabama use the same tactics to prevent federal interference with their crackdown on illegal immigrants. So if people want greater federal authority over local government, realize that this is a sword that cuts both ways.

  11. #11
    Tiro
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    219

    Default Re: Ex-officer accused of racist social media posts finds a new job

    The discussion has gone on to the par of accepting the past decades of policy aimed at fighting a unified majority with standards that are understood to them.

    Sure, let's do this one again. What qualities then, should a police officer have if he or she would police a diverse city? Pretty boring discussion folks.

    Surprisingly, this video is footage from the same town, Tulsa. A police officer must have aggression to do his duty.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UllFP_CaAt4

    Now, the bigger picture here which is obvious and in plain sight, yet hidden from most people for a lack of soul searching, is that any "narrative" that deviates from tolerance, equality, inclusiveness, diversity, must be hidden, or attacked as not just wrong but harmful to others.
    Last edited by Bob69Joe; October 04, 2019 at 03:31 PM.
    Gornahoor|Liber esse, scientiam acquirere, veritatum loqui
    Crow states: "If you would be a great leader, then learn the way of the Tao. Relinquish the need to control. Let go of plans and of concepts. The world will govern itself. The more restrictive you are, the less virtuous people will be. The more force you display, the less secure they will feel. The more subsidies you provide, the less self-reliant they become. Therefore the master says: Un-write the law, thus the people become honest. Dispense with economics, thus the people become prosperous. Do without religion, thus the people become serene. Let go all desire for the common good, and the good becomes as common as the grass." ~ Lao Tzu - Tao te tching
    MONARCHY NATION TRANSCENDENCE

  12. #12

    Default Re: Ex-officer accused of racist social media posts finds a new job

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob69Joe View Post
    The discussion has gone on to the par of accepting the past decades of policy aimed at fighting a unified majority with standards that are understood to them.

    Sure, let's do this one again. What qualities then, should a police officer have if he or she would police a diverse city? Pretty boring discussion folks.

    Surprisingly, this video is footage from the same town, Tulsa. A police officer must have aggression to do his duty.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UllFP_CaAt4

    Now, the bigger picture here which is obvious and in plain sight, yet hidden from most people for a lack of soul searching, is that any "narrative" that deviates from tolerance, equality, inclusiveness, diversity, must be hidden, or attacked as not just wrong but harmful to others.
    Bollocks, its quite obvious to anyone with sentience that the issue is about the right not to employ someone because that person is an arse.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

    "Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Ex-officer accused of racist social media posts finds a new job

    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    I don't envision central authority in the way that most people do. There are big flaws in the current structure of US law enforcement, but I don't see the entire system as inherently flawed. There is no direct chain of command between Federal, State, County, and Municipal level law enforcement. I.E., the Governor of New York does not have a direct chain of command to the Police Commissioner of New York Police Department. There is certainly an indirect level of accountability between the two, or the Justice Department and every single police commissioner, but by and large, every single police department is beholden only to their local government.

    I think the issue, like you said, a lack of standards and oversight. There is no necessity for the Governor or the President to have the ability to fire police commissioners or whatever, but there should be a stronger self-correcting mechanism between central authority and each individual branch. Note that this will cut both ways for every political allegiance. For example, in State Washington, local services like Department of Licensing, State Patrol and other local law enforcement agencies have mostly refused to co-operate with ICE and other federal authorities to crack down on illegal immigrants. On the other hand, Southern states like Texas and Alabama use the same tactics to prevent federal interference with their crackdown on illegal immigrants. So if people want greater federal authority over local government, realize that this is a sword that cuts both ways.
    What America needs is a standardised system of training and accountability for all police forces. Training academies following the same system as perhaps the way the US military has training bases across the country but all follow the same regulations and standards.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Ex-officer accused of racist social media posts finds a new job

    Quote Originally Posted by 95thrifleman View Post
    What America needs is a standardised system of training and accountability for all police forces. Training academies following the same system as perhaps the way the US military has training bases across the country but all follow the same regulations and standards.
    This can't work, because law enforcement operates under and enforces different laws in each state, and to some extent each county and each city.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.


  15. #15

    Default Re: Ex-officer accused of racist social media posts finds a new job

    Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    This can't work, because law enforcement operates under and enforces different laws in each state, and to some extent each county and each city.
    No wonder the country is so messed up

  16. #16
    conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs
    Posts
    13,245

    Default Re: Ex-officer accused of racist social media posts finds a new job

    This can't work, because law enforcement operates under and enforces different laws in each state, and to some extent each county and each city.
    The and not These United States... Thanks Governor Morris,

    A basic level of competence and standard of behavior is not outside the question for people allowed to be heavily armed and supposedly protect the public with deadly force. Admittedly the decades of anti tax policy from some people in the US carried to fruition means all to often localities are not exactly hiring the best and briniest to wear a badge. Nobody who publicly posts stuff related to militia movement should hold a office of trust or a badge. Sorry sumskilz those are the kind of people who think its cool to kill me and mine just because my wife is an officer of the Federal Government. Confederate flag - nope - support treason in the defense of slavery seems to me a firing offense for the US. The Union did win after all.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

    'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

    But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

    Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Ex-officer accused of racist social media posts finds a new job

    Quote Originally Posted by Cohors_Evocata View Post
    I dunno if racist is the right term to describe his posts, but I certainly wouldn't consider them fitting for one aiming to be an active duty officer.

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 


    A presumably armed officer of the law ought not be flying a traitors' flag or indicating a propensity for violent conduct. I imagine his views/posts were missed (either intentionally or not) during the vetting process as he was selected and he was fired as soon as that was revealed. Should he have been hired again? I dunno, but his posts might indicate that he is perhaps not be the right person for the job. Really, this story is a nothingburger. OP attempts to push the idea that the guy was censored because of his political beliefs, when really his statements on violence should have disqualified him in the first place. I understand the police need to resort to force sometimes, but one would want them to demonstrate restraint. I mean, even if the posts above are edgy humor, what sort of image does that project to the people he would be supposed to serve? I might pepperspray protesters if I don't like them?

    Images taken from https://www.facebook.com/marql/posts/10218164572439124, through these news articles: https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/rece...e50b8dec2.html (had to use outline to read this one though).
    https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmat...U6D4oG7crAP-Q/
    I dont see anything inherently racist in those posts, some memes that we can see everyday... I only see is politics. His disapproval of socialism and hippies. Which i didn't know it was grounds for Firing someone.

    Although i do agree a Police officer should be more cautious with this things in Public. But still his personal politics should be irrelevant for holding the job of police officer. IMO.

    Also the fact that you can be fired because of posts on the internet, is quite something. But that is today i guess.

    This is the problem with American policing in general, no real central authority or standard of training.
    I do agree. Although i hope with training you dont mean political nudges... And if you mean implicit bias training, that already happens, and apparently doesn't work very well.
    Anyway the way i view it they are there to uphold the law. Their personal politics, they are their own.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; October 05, 2019 at 10:56 AM.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Ex-officer accused of racist social media posts finds a new job

    Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Nobody who publicly posts stuff related to militia movement should hold a office of trust or a badge. Sorry sumskilz those are the kind of people who think its cool to kill me and mine just because my wife is an officer of the Federal Government. Confederate flag - nope - support treason in the defense of slavery seems to me a firing offense for the US. The Union did win after all.
    I didn't express any opinion about the guy getting fired, but if I were to, it would be somewhere between Cohors_Evocata's post and complete indifference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.


  19. #19
    conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs
    Posts
    13,245

    Default Re: Ex-officer accused of racist social media posts finds a new job

    Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    I didn't express any opinion about the guy getting fired, but if I were to, it would be somewhere between Cohors_Evocata's post and complete indifference.
    Sorry than I likely mis read your intent. I just hold to saying well the good old boys round here get a pass because well local reasons.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

    'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

    But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

    Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Ex-officer accused of racist social media posts finds a new job

    ..all the stuff shown here is within limits of the normal humour here. Sometimes it's a bit cringy, but I see nothing that would be out of bounds for a police officer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •