Thread: terminate_monitor

Aneirin's Avatar of flowing verse

Default terminate_monitor

Using the 'terminate_monitor' statement terminates the complete monitor_event and won't trigger it in the future.
    Is there a 'softer' way to exit an active monitor_event?

My situation:
    I have a script with several if-clauses that trigger at certain conditions, but in case one if-clause got triggered the monitor_event should be exited and by the next turn the clauses should be scanned again accordingly and so on.

I thought of something like this:
    Code:
    monitor_event FactionTurnStart TrueCondition

if I_CompareCounter france_turn == 1
            and I_CompareCounter factionsize_france <= 5
            and I_CompareCounter unitlimit_france > 5
            and I_CompareCounter exceedlimit_france == 0
            and I_CompareCounter monitor_exit == 0
            set_counter exceedlimit_france 1
                if not I_IsFactionAIControlled france
                    historic_event recruiting_stop factions { france, }
                end_if

set_counter monitor_exit 1 
        end_if

if I_CompareCounter france_turn == 1
            and I_CompareCounter factionsize_france <= 10
            and I_CompareCounter unitlimit_france > 10
            and I_CompareCounter exceedlimit_france == 0
            and I_CompareCounter monitor_exit == 0
            set_counter exceedlimit_france 1
                if not I_IsFactionAIControlled france
                    historic_event recruiting_stop factions { france, }
                end_if

set_counter monitor_exit 1
        end_if

[all other if-clauses]

set_counter monitor_exit 0 
    end_monitor
    Any thoughts on this?

Best
    Aneirin
    Proud son of Aikanár and brother of Iskar

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Default Re: terminate_monitor

The way you've shown is the only way that I know of.

I do it all the time with single-monitor scripts; though unless you're doing battle scripting, you're better off with event_counters over regular counters (no need to declare them). It also allows you to have other monitors that soft-terminate parts of a script, while leaving the rest of it running until the general termination comes.

Here's an example of a multi-part script, all in one monitor, where some elements switch off without terminating the whole:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Code:
        ; Getai Reform, Skythai troubles and Early Expansion "missions"

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType f_getai
            if I_IsFactionAIControlled f_getai               ; not for the AI
                terminate_monitor
            end_if
            ; Opening Message
            if I_EventCounter HE_GETAI_START < 1                     ; Notification hasn't fired before
                historic_event HE_GETAI_START factions { f_getai, }  ; telling the player what they need to do
            end_if
            ; Getai Reform
            if I_FactionLeaderTrait f_getai FactionLeader > 6 ; FL is a Living Legend
                and I_SettlementOwner sett_077 = f_getai ; Getai
                and I_SettlementOwner sett_079 = f_getai ; Moisia
                and I_SettlementOwner sett_080 = f_getai ; Landa Skordiskoi
                ;and I_EventCounter VanquisherOfSkythai > 0 ; beaten the Skythai
                and I_EventCounter StreuintaSacked > 0 ; trashed the Boii
                and I_EventCounter GetaiVictorious > 0 ; defeated the northern invasion
                historic_event HE_GETAI_REFORM factions { f_getai, } ; notification
                set_event_counter ecGetaiReform 1
                terminate_monitor
            end_if
            ; Skythai Raids
            if I_SettlementOwner sett_070 = f_getai          ; Varustana is Getai
                and I_SettlementOwner sett_177 = f_getai     ; Olbia is Getai
                set_event_counter SkythaiRaidersStopped 1
            end_if
            if I_EventCounter VanquisherOfSkythai > 0 ; completed the Becoming Protectors mission
                set_event_counter SkythaiRaidersStopped 1
            end_if
            if I_EventCounter ecSummer > 0                     ; it's summer
                and I_EventCounter SkythaiRaidersStopped < 1
                generate_random_counter skythai_raids 1 20     ; generating a random number between 1 and 20
                if I_SettlementOwner sett_078 = slave          ; Histrie is Rebel
                    if I_EventCounter skythai_raids < 6        ; 25% chance
                        spawn_army
                            faction slave, sub_faction f_sauromatae
                            character	random_name, named character, age 30, x 206, y 186
                            traits  SlaveSauromataeModel 1 , CommandExperience 3, GoodCavalryGeneral 1 , Scout 1, HaleAndHearty 2
                            unit		steppe cavalry scythian horse archers		exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                            unit		steppe cavalry scythian horse archers		exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                            unit		getic infantry komatai		exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                            unit		steppe infantry scythian archers		exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                        end
                        historic_event HE_SKYTHAI_RAID_HISTRIE factions { f_getai, }  ; warning the player the raid has come
                    end_if
                    if I_EventCounter skythai_raids > 19          ; 5% chance
                        spawn_army
                            traits  SlaveSauromataeModel 1 , CommandExperience 3, GoodCavalryGeneral 1 , Scout 1, HaleAndHearty 2
                            unit		steppe cavalry scythian nobles		exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                            unit		getic cavalry hippotoxotai		exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                            unit		getic infantry komatai		exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                            unit		getic infantry komatai toxotai		exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                        end
                        historic_event HE_SKYTHAI_RAID_HISTRIE factions { f_getai, }  ; warning the player the raid has come
                    end_if
                end_if
                if I_SettlementOwner sett_078 = f_getai          ; Histrie is Getai
                    if I_EventCounter skythai_raids < 5          ; 20% chance
                        spawn_army
                        end
                        add_settlement_turmoil sett_078 2                             ; unrest in Histrie
                    end_if
                    if I_EventCounter skythai_raids > 17          ; 15% chance
                        spawn_army
                            unit		steppe cavalry scythian nobles		exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                        end
                        add_settlement_turmoil sett_078 3                             ; unrest in Histrie
                    end_if
                end_if
            end_if
            ; Tribute - only if Histrie Rebel
            if I_EventCounter ecAutumn > 0                      ; it's autumn
                and I_SettlementOwner sett_078 = slave          ; Histrie is Independent
                if I_EventCounter SkythaiSlain < 1              ; no raid has been defeated
                    add_money f_getai 500                       ; token tribute paid
                    historic_event HE_HISTRIE_TRIBUTE factions { f_getai, }  ; telling the player they're getting paid
                end_if
                if I_EventCounter SkythaiSlain > 0              ; a raid has been defeated
                    add_money f_getai 3000                      ; large tribute paid
                    historic_event HE_HISTRIE_TRIBUTE factions { f_getai, }  ; telling the player they're getting paid
                    set_event_counter SkythaiSlain 0            ; reset
                end_if
            end_if
            ; Giving Our Word
            if I_SettlementOwner sett_064 != f_getai ; Getai don't own Tyragetia
                and I_TurnNumber > 1
                and I_EventCounter HE_GIVING_OUR_WORD_START < 1
                historic_event HE_GIVING_OUR_WORD_START factions { f_getai, }
                set_event_counter MoskonTimer 1
            end_if
            if I_EventCounter MoskonTimer < 32
                and I_SettlementOwner sett_064 = f_getai  ; Getai own Tyragetia
                and I_EventCounter HE_GIVING_OUR_WORD_SUCCESS < 1
                historic_event HE_GIVING_OUR_WORD_SUCCESS factions { f_getai, }
                set_event_counter MoskonTimer 0
                console_command create_unit sett_064 "steppe cavalry scythian horse archers" 1 0 0 0
                console_command create_unit sett_064 "getic cavalry hippotoxotai" 1 0 0 0
            end_if
            if I_EventCounter MoskonTimer > 27
                and I_EventCounter MoskonTimer < 29
                and I_SettlementOwner sett_064 != f_getai  ; Getai don't own Tyragetia
                and I_EventCounter HE_GIVING_OUR_WORD_HURRY < 1
                historic_event HE_GIVING_OUR_WORD_HURRY factions { f_getai, }
            end_if
            if I_EventCounter MoskonTimer > 31
                and I_SettlementOwner sett_064 != f_getai  ; Getai don't own Tyragetia
                and I_EventCounter HE_GIVING_OUR_WORD_FAIL < 1
                historic_event HE_GIVING_OUR_WORD_FAIL factions { f_getai, }
                set_event_counter MoskonTimer 0
                if I_CharacterExists moskon_only1
                    console_command kill_character moskon_only1
                    spawn_army
                        faction slave, sub_faction f_getai
                        character	Moskon, named character, age 35, x 203, y 199, portrait barb4, label moskon_reborn1
                        traits  SlaveGetaiModel 1, NaturalIntelligence 5 , NaturalCharisma 2 , NaturalEnergy 4 , Selflessness 2 , LoyaltyLevel 2 , Temperament 5 , MoskonBiography 1 , GetaiKrobyzos 1 , TurnsAlive 3 , CommandExperience 4 , GoodTactician 1 , Bloodthirsty 3 , GetaiWarrior 5, HaleAndHearty 2
                        unit	steppe cavalry client		exp 4 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                        unit	steppe cavalry scythian horse archers		exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                        unit	steppe cavalry scythian horse archers		exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                        unit	getic cavalry hippotoxotai		exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                        unit	steppe infantry voini spearmen		exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                        unit	steppe infantry voini spearmen		exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                        unit	getic infantry komatai		exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                        unit	getic infantry komatai toxotai		exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                    end
                    campaign_wait 3
                    move moskon_reborn1, 201, 190
                end_if
            end_if
            if I_EventCounter MoskonTimer > 0           ; checking the clock has started
                inc_event_counter MoskonTimer 1         ; increasing timer
            end_if
            ; A Cry For Help
            if I_SettlementOwner sett_079 = f_getai    ; owns Moisia
                and I_SettlementOwner sett_080 != f_getai        ; doesn't own Landa Skordiskon
                and I_EventCounter HE_CRY_FOR_HELP_START < 1
                ; Skordiskoi Invasion of Getia
                spawn_army
                    character	random_name, named character, age 30, x 185, y 185, portrait barb2, label skordiskoi_invader1
                    traits  SlaveGetaiModel 1, TurnsAlive 3 , CommandExperience 3 , GoodLeader 1 , Bloodthirsty 1 , GetaiWarrior 3, HaleAndHearty 2
                    unit	thracian cavalry prodromoi		exp 4 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                    unit	celtic cavalry eponados		exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                    unit	thracian infantry peltastai		exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                    unit	celtic infantry galathraikes		exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                    unit	thracian infantry doryphoroi		exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                    unit	thracian infantry sphendonitai		exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                end
                campaign_wait 3
                move skordiskoi_invader1, 194, 188
                historic_event HE_CRY_FOR_HELP_START factions { f_getai, }
            end_if
            if I_EventCounter HE_CRY_FOR_HELP_START > 0
                if I_CharacterTypeNearTile f_getai named_character, 10 168, 186 ; near Singidunon
                    set_event_counter SkordiskoiProximityAlert 1
                end_if
                if I_CharacterTypeNearTile f_getai general, 10 168, 186 ; near Singidunon
                    set_event_counter SkordiskoiProximityAlert 1
                end_if
                ; Skordiskoi response to Getai encroachment
                if I_EventCounter SkordiskoiProximityAlert > 0
                    and I_EventCounter SkordiskoiSpawned < 1
                    spawn_army
                        character	random_name, named character, age 30, x 168, y 183, portrait barb3
                        traits  SlaveGetaiModel 1, TurnsAlive 3 , CommandExperience 3 , GoodLeader 1 , Bloodthirsty 1 , GetaiWarrior 3, HaleAndHearty 2
                        unit	thracian cavalry nobles		exp 4 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                        unit	thracian cavalry prodromoi		exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                        unit	thracian infantry peltastai		exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                        unit	thracian infantry sphendonitai		exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                    end
                    set_event_counter SkordiskoiSpawned 1
                end_if
                ; Garrison boost for Singidunon
                if I_CharacterTypeNearTile f_getai named_character, 4 168, 186 ; near Singidunon
                    and I_EventCounter SkordiskoiGarrisonBoost < 1
                    console_command create_unit sett_080 "thracian infantry peltastai" 1 0 0 0
                    console_command create_unit sett_080 "celtic infantry galathraikes" 2 0 0 0
                    console_command create_unit sett_080 "thracian infantry doryphoroi" 1 0 0 0
                    set_event_counter SkordiskoiGarrisonBoost 1
                end_if
                if I_CharacterTypeNearTile f_getai general, 4 168, 186 ; near Singidunon
                    and I_EventCounter SkordiskoiGarrisonBoost < 1
                    console_command create_unit sett_080 "thracian infantry peltastai" 1 0 0 0
                    console_command create_unit sett_080 "thracian infantry doryphoroi" 1 0 0 0
                    set_event_counter SkordiskoiGarrisonBoost 1
                end_if
            end_if
            if I_SettlementOwner sett_080 = f_getai
                and I_EventCounter HE_CRY_FOR_HELP_START > 0
                and I_EventCounter HE_CRY_FOR_HELP_SUCCESS < 1
                historic_event HE_CRY_FOR_HELP_SUCCESS factions { f_getai, }
            end_if
            ; Becoming Protectors
            if I_EventCounter HE_SKYTHAI_INVADE_HISTRIE > 0
                and not I_CharacterExists skythian_raider1
                set_event_counter VanquisherOfSkythai 1
            end_if
            if I_EventCounter SkythaiInvasion > 0
                spawn_army
                    character	random_name, named character, age 30, x 205, y 191, label skythian_raider1
                    traits  SlaveSauromataeModel 1 , CommandExperience 4, GoodCavalryGeneral 2 , Scout 2, HaleAndHearty 2
                    unit		steppe cavalry scythian nobles		exp 4 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                    unit		getic cavalry mezenai		exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                    unit		getic cavalry hippotoxotai		exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                    unit		thracian infantry doryphoroi		exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                    unit		thracian infantry doryphoroi		exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                end
                add_settlement_turmoil sett_078 5                         ; unrest in Histrie
                historic_event HE_SKYTHAI_INVADE_HISTRIE factions { f_getai, }  ; telling the player people have risen against this imposition
                campaign_wait 3
                move skythian_raider1, 207,187
                siege_settlement skythian_raider1, sett_078, maintain
            end_if
            if I_SettlementOwner sett_078 = f_getai                  ; Histrie is Getai
                and I_EventCounter HE_SKYTHAI_RAID_HISTRIE > 4       ; there's been five random summer raids
                and I_EventCounter ecSpring > 0                      ; it's spring
                historic_event HE_BECOMING_PROTECTORS true factions { f_getai, }

while I_EventCounter HE_BECOMING_PROTECTORS_accepted = 0 ;;; while-loop to pause the script until a decision is made
                    and I_EventCounter HE_BECOMING_PROTECTORS_declined = 0
                end_while

if I_EventCounter HE_BECOMING_PROTECTORS_accepted = 1              ; player accepts
                    set_event_counter SkythaiInvasion 1
                end_if
            end_if
            ; Northern Invasion
            if I_EventCounter NorthernInvasion > 0
                and not I_CharacterExists northern_invader1
                and not I_CharacterExists northern_invader2
                set_event_counter GetaiVictorious 1
            end_if
            if I_SettlementOwner sett_054 = f_getai  ; Boiotergion
                set_event_counter StreuintaSacked 1
            end_if
            if I_SettlementOwner sett_074 = f_getai  ; Etunorikoi
                set_event_counter NoreiaSacked 1
            end_if
            if I_EventCounter NoreiaSacked > 0
                and I_EventCounter NorthernInvasion < 1
                and I_SettlementOwner sett_077 = f_getai ; Getai
                and I_SettlementOwner sett_079 = f_getai ; Moisia
                spawn_army
                    character	random_name, named character, age 30, x 197, y 209, label northern_invader1
                    traits SlaveSauromataeModel 1 , CommandExperience 3, GoodLeader 1, Scout 2, HaleAndHearty 2
                    unit	steppe cavalry roxolani riders		exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                    unit	steppe cavalry roxolani riders		exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                    unit	steppe cavalry iwzag riders		exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                    unit	germanic cavalry bastarnae		exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                    unit	germanic infantry bastarnae		exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                    unit	celtic infantry dnieper		exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                    unit	germanic infantry chosen youth		exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                end
                spawn_army
                    character	random_name, named character, age 30, x 182, y 179, label northern_invader2
                    traits SlaveSauromataeModel 1 , CommandExperience 3, GoodLeader 1, Scout 2, HaleAndHearty 2
                    unit	steppe cavalry roxolani riders		exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                end
                historic_event HE_NORTHERN_ATTACK factions { f_getai, } ; 
                campaign_wait 3
                move northern_invader1, 202, 198
                campaign_wait 3
                move northern_invader2, 196, 178
                set_event_counter NorthernInvasion 1
            end_if
        end_monitor
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; September 16, 2019 at 05:41 AM.

Aneirin's Avatar of flowing verse

Thanks for your feedback, I’ll have a look at it later on
    Proud son of Aikanár and brother of Iskar