Thread: Campaign crash upon loading

Default Campaign crash upon loading

I installed Roma Surrectum 3 for Steam as according to this tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNOhyGx2NhQ&t=2s) and haven't gotten to play a campaign yet. After I've moved all the Roma Surrectum content into Rome Total War Gold and chosen a faction in the launcher I try to start a campaign. If I start using the RomeTW-ALX.exe I get the "please select an item from the list" sign, whether I choose to start a campaign as RTW or Barbarian Invasion or Alexander. When I try to start a campaign as RomeTW.exe I don't get the sign but when I load the campaign map the game crashes. Please help. I bought Alexander pretty much to play this mod. I'm using Windows 10
    Last edited by Jakoporeeno; September 15, 2019 at 05:33 AM.

Default Re: Campaign crash upon loading

Try using the remove map.rpm option in the launcher.

Didn't do anything for me

Install Windows 8.1 in addition to Windows 10, play the game from a disk. No Steam.
    Works without a problem.

When I downloaded RTW a while back ago, I couldn't install it because the "Install" option is greyed out (see here: https://imgur.com/a/ExcQW1C) Is it Windows 10's fault?

Some advice would be nice
    Last edited by Jakoporeeno; November 15, 2019 at 01:15 PM.

Nope, guess I'm not getting any help from you guys

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Jakoporeeno View Post
    When I downloaded RTW a while back ago, I couldn't install it because the "Install" option is greyed out (see here: https://imgur.com/a/ExcQW1C) Is it Windows 10's fault?
    Did you downloaded RTW on Steam?
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

would suggest to play a non-steam RTW.

i would like to take this thread for crash problem. I played the RS 3.1 for many years and just recently I re-install the RS3.1 mod with a fresh V1.5 RTW. I suddenly found that the previous RS3.1 I played maybe the wrong version.
    The previous version I encounter a problem of the construction cost saving trait actually not working or working in wrong direction, it actually cost more rather than cost saving when building. So installed the RS3.1 again and the new version is OK, but I constantly have CTD when I played upto 543 AUC. It is very annoy and I can't walk around it by what ever means.
    I am so sad that i can't play it well with the RS3.1
    Last edited by Leonardo; November 23, 2019 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Posts merged.

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

DELETED: post no longer relevant
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; December 21, 2021 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Update
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

so you can't get rome to work or RS3? make sure this is your command in the RS launcher.... -show_err -nm -movie_cam it allways works for me that way. dunno how that works with steam though.
    Last edited by Leonardo; December 08, 2019 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Promoting illegal activities removed.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by tungri_centurio View Post
    so you can't get rome to work or RS3? make sure this is your command in the RS launcher.... -show_err -nm -movie_cam it allways works for me that way. dunno how that works with steam though.
    I know BI mods that is mod foldered for the Steam version won't work when using the shortcut that most mods provide via the mod installer in Windows, instead one need to first double click on the RTW link in the Steam Library then select BI from the game selector and at the same time having the mod switch you mentioned in Steam.

I know this is for BI mods only, but it's worth a try just to see if that helps.
    Last edited by Leonardo; December 08, 2019 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Quoted post corrected.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    Did you downloaded RTW on Steam?
    That download was without steam
    Last edited by Jakoporeeno; December 07, 2019 at 05:11 PM. Reason: added quote

Quote Originally Posted by Jakoporeeno View Post
    That download was without steam
    Not sure what you mean here. All mods for RTW cannot be downloaded on Steam due for not having Steam workshop.

Has anyone found a fix for this issue? I followed all the instructions to play with the steam version. After launching the game and starting the campaign I get a crash in the loading screen just before starting to play. Help?

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

I didn't see the video but I'll just say what I've done and never had any problems.

On steam when installing RTW Gold I didn't install in program files. I just created a new folder on local disc and installed there. So my install path was local disc>steam>steam apps>RTW.

After downloading ALX I made a new folder. I called it 'Roma'. I didn't install ALX alongside RTW, I installed it into Roma. So my install path for ALX was local disc>Roma> ALX.

I downloaded RS2.5, Rs3 and rs3. 1 and installed all of them into the roma pathway. Just forget the RTW path. At least this has always worked for me. So all my RS3 games are alongside my ALX install in the file 'Roma'.

The problem is seeming random crashes at the start/end of loading screens on Windows 10, that 'fixes' when you reboot or randomly seems to work. It seems to happen to anyone or everyone randomly but maybe varies based on memory settings/OS.

The cause is likely the mod shaders and objects are extensive, and there are more variety of many things that were seemingly not in the original RTW engine. It exceeds the 32-bit vmem limit.

The 'fix' is to set your executable file to have /LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag which adds 1GB ofmemory to a 32 bit memory's address space. After doing this the frequency of crashes went down from 1/3 loading screens or random, to practically 0. How can you do this? multiple ways but a .bat file or easy tool for this would be good. (maybe will compile some tools/tutorial somewhere to show how to do this)

How it was found was with debugging, you can see the last error is error_not_enough_memory 8 (0x8) and it is failing to allocate virtual memory (0x0). But it works randomly to reboot, or restart and on the 2nd try, it sometimes just works, based on memory leak or memory available. It is not based on how much ram you have but the configuration mostly and seems it can be fixed by setting the flag.

This should fix CTD that randomly happens on loading screens.

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

DELETED: unintended double post
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; December 21, 2021 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Update
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

CFF explorer and using the hex editor on all of the executables seems to be the best solution I've found for making it large address space aware. Taking the install out of steam and program files and putting it into the main disk directory along with full administrator permissions especially on the Roma Surrectum launcher executable which loads in the files- along with -show_err -nm -movie_cam on most of the exes always worked for me.

Valiant Champion's Avatar Praepositus

how do you enable largeaddressaware. is an incorporated command in the OS or does it need to be downloaded?

BETTER PIKES
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...2#post16143112

THE PIKE WARS HAVE BEGUN!