Thread: Tale of the Week 293: Tyrant - Submissions thread

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Tale of the Week 293: Tyrant - Submissions thread

Creative Workshop Competitions - Check out our sister competitions here on TWC! << Picture of the Week | Tale of the Week | Writers' Study General Competitions | Graphics Workshop Monthly Competition >>

Tyrant

By Unknown author - Zengxiang quantu Sanguoyanyi source

Keywords
    Warlord
    Emperor
    Han
    Conspirator
    Love

Rules - PLEASE READ

• The title and picture are there simply for inspiration, you do not have to use them if you don't want to - besides the keywords everything else is up to you!
    • Each theme will have a number of keywords that have to be used in your submission. They can be used in any way, but please place these words in bold so they can easily be seen by the competition organiser(s).
    • When using the keywords you may change singular nouns into plurals and vice versa; and you may change the tenses of verbs. No other changes are permitted.
    • The submission must have a minimum of 200 words. The title counts towards this minimum, but footnotes, explanatory notes, and other supplementary texts do not. The submission must also have a maximum of 500 words INCLUDING all titles, footnotes etc.
    • The submission must be placed in a spoiler.
    • The submission period will last at least two weeks. If we have three entries after two weeks, voting will begin. The submission period may be extended at the discretion of the competition organiser(s).
    • If you are a contestant you are honour bound to not read other contestants' writings until you have submitted yours.
    • If your entry is found to be substantially similar to another entry your submission will be disqualified. This is at the discretion of the competition organiser(s).
    • Contestants are not allowed to directly advertise their stories or ask for votes. If this is discovered you will be disqualified. Posting "Please vote for my entry in TotW" is NOT allowed. However, posting "Please vote for your favourite entry in TotW" is not only allowed, it is encouraged!
    • This thread is for submissions only. If you have any comments or questions then please post them in the commentary thread.
    • Please note that all rules including word count and key words will be strictly enforced. Rule breakers will be disqualified from the vote.

AwardsEach winning story will receive 1 Writers' Study Competition point. This point will be added to the total number of points you have won from TotW and other Writers' Study competitions, and recorded in the Writers' Study Hall of Fame. When you have accumulated enough points, you will be awarded the appropriate Writers' Study Competition Medal.

• 6 points - bronze medal
    • 12 points - silver medal
    • 24 points - gold medal

Default Re: Tale of the Week 293: Tyrant - Submissions thread

EMPEROR Hey Yoo, was not happy, and neither should he be.

For his son, Hoo Mee, had been named champion bee keeper in
    The whole of the HAN dynasty.
    “What a liberty!” shouted Yoo; “He don’t even know what bees he’s got”
    “Don’t go on Sid“, answered Mrs Yoo,
    “Well, I’ve been keeping bees for years, always won first prize”
    “Maybe he had help dear” replied Mrs Yoo.
    “Yeah, I bet the little toe rag got one of the minions to do all
    The work, and then he takes all the credit”
    “Ooh, Sid, how rude!” snapped Mrs Yoo
    “Rude my arris Maude, that boy is a snake, and I intend to find
    The CONSPIRATOR behind this debacle”
    On the dynasty grapevine, a reward of ten gold pieces was on offer
    To whom ever gave information about Prince Mee and his co-CONSPIRITOR.
    The ears of the great WARLORD Ping Pong, received the news, he knew exactly
    Who helped the Prince, and, it may put paid to the little sod, dating his daughter.
    A message was sent to Emperor Yoo, he was to meet an informer in the Cock
    And Trumpet public house at seven that night.
    The mighty men sat facing each other.
    “Right, how did he do it Pong?” asked Yoo
    “He let the bees out, at six in the evening, they flew to the Lavender park,
    Nicked all the nectar off the blossom trees, and as you know, it’s the best
    In the whole dynasty” replied Pong.
    “Hold up” said Yoo, that park closes at five thirty, so how did he get the bees in?”
    “This is where he was clever, he got a minion, to drill a hole in the fence“.
    And so, it came to pass, that even though, Prince Mee and his honey was
    LOVED by every citizen in the Han dynasty, noot one person would ever
    Admit to eating it, for fear of upsetting Emperor Yoo.
    Except Mrs Yoo, who made sure it was on his toast, every morning.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

This started as something quite different and I may have to re-write it in the future, but for now I'm somewhat happy with it. 393 words.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Large Hydron Piña Colada

On Titan, the largest moon in Saturn’s orbit, life was never easy, but the current state of affairs was a state of gloom unknown anywhere else in the galaxy. Gang fights were common, and many more deaths occured than ever were reported to any authorities, in what capacity authorities even existed. Life on this lifeless rock was difficult after the Han Corporation went under a few decades back. When large quantities of rare minerals was first discovered here back in the 60’s, people and entities all rushed here to get a piece of the cake, but as the resources dried up people either went back home or ended up stranded. Those left now are those too poor to make it back home, and those with no home to go back to. The Han had been the only holdout who wouldn’t give up hope on Titan, and it ultimately led to its bankruptcy and utter annihilation.

Pondering this sad fact of life, Magnesium Thyroid ordered another Large Hydron Piña Colada. The bartender got a tiny, artificial of course, star from a container and mixed the drink in its orbit, letting the liquids flush around in the gravitational field. In this tiny, man-made reality time was different, faster. Organisms formed in the circling waters, cultures grew and died, civilizations were born in the alcoholic galaxy and warlordsconquered and were conquered. Over the course of a hundred fish-years, Magnesium’s open mouth appeared in orbit, slowly approaching. Towards the end, old timers would recall a world where the giant God-Emperorin the sky was much further away, and its approach was taken as a sign of prosperity and the love he showed his chosen people.

Magnesium downed the drink in one go, immediately extinguishing a million lives he would never know about. He was the first to arrive, the vanguard of conspiratorswho would soon make common cause with him. Since murder was not illegal on Titan, it was all the more dangerous to plan one; leave just one friend of the enemy alive, and they might just murder you back for murdering their friend, an evil cycle which only ends once one side murders everyone on the other side. With these evil thoughts, Magnesium heard the bar door open, and went to welcome his friends. There were plans to be made.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Well, this TotW has been open for too long, so I figured I'd join in and get the number of entries up to at least three. And I must say, I think I had a bit too much fun with this one.

Anyway, here it is, coming in at exactly 500 words:

500 words

The smuggler sat at a side booth in a dark bar filled with vagabonds and killers of every stripe. Some had matted hair that looked more like fur. Some had faces that were scarred and broken, fronted by bulbous noses. Some bore the appearance of fairytale monsters and demons, and yet, somehow, they appeared least harmful of all.

The smuggler sat calmly, nursing his third drink, waiting for a warlord to sit in the seat opposite, and he let his eyes casually wander the room, taking in the sour sights of so much scum and villainy. However, between the men and beasts, he failed to spy the one person he was to meet. The man was supposed to have been there already, waiting for him, and yet the smuggler could see no trace of him. There was nothing but the thousand faces of lesser criminals, their heads ever so slightly bobbing to the tune of the band that played in one corner.

His attention momentarily elsewhere, the smuggler did not notice an individual sliding sidelong towards him from the far wall, and when finally he did see the approaching figure, he, or she, or it, was already sitting down, taking the empty seat meant for the absent warlord.

“Do you know who I am, Spice Runner?” the newcomer hissed.

“Can’t say that I do.” the smuggler answered in easy, charming tones. “But I’m waiting for someone, so you’ll need to be going.”

The newcomer’s eyes narrowed. “Hush yourself, spice runner.” it snapped, the words sounding like steam escaping from a broken pipe. “I am a hunter, and I have seen your face before. You are wanted by the Emperor.”

“Could be.” the smuggler replied. “A lot of people are wanted by the emperor these days.”

“Yes. But only one of them sits before me now.” The newcomer then leaned in closer, arcing its back over the table. “I can almost taste the reward.” it purred, flicking its tongue in and out like a snake.

The smuggler, who through the whole discussion had continued to watch the room, finally turned to face the hissing newcomer before him. “Listen, bub,” he said quietly, as though to a fellow conspirator, “I really don’t have time for this, but if you come back later we can talk more.”

The newcomer leaned back and growled, deep in its throat. “No. You are coming with me. Now! And I must say, I have been looking forward to this catch for a long time.”

“Yes. I bet you have.” the smuggler answered with a smile, and from below the table he fired his blaster. With a flash of sparks and cloud of smoke, the newcomer fell forward, his flickering tongue finally stilled, and Han rose to his feet. Shaking his head, he made his way toward Chewie, near the cantina entrance. “Well, old pal, I don’t love how often that happens here.” he said, and together they left, losing themselves in the noisy streets of Mos Eisley.
    Last edited by Kilo11; November 28, 2019 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Fix to a keyword's part of speech
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing