Thread: MAARC LXXXIV - Submissions and nominations thread

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default MAARC LXXXIV - Submissions and nominations thread

Creative Workshop Competitions - Check out our sister competitions here on TWC! << Picture of the Week | Tale of the Week | Writers' Study General Competitions | Graphics Workshop Monthly Competition >>

Image by cedric37.

This is the submission/nomination thread for MAARC LXXXIV!

Eligibility

Two updates are needed since July 1, 2019.

Only one entry per person.
    Please note that entries with more than one author are considered to be entries for all the co-authors.
    If one of the co-authors of a submission wants to submit an AAR they have written individually, they may do so,
    but WS staff will withdraw the co-authored AAR from the competition if this happens.

The writer who took first place in the previous competition cannot enter this one.

Only work that is posted on TWC is eligible to enter.

Writers' Study Staff have discretion to disqualify nominations where it would be unfair to allow them to enter, for example in cases of plagiarism.

If you have a question or want to check whether an entry is eligible, please send a private message to a member of the Writers' Study Staff.

Advertising

Advertising the competition is allowed. Inviting people to submit their writing is okay.

Asking for votes for a particular submission is not allowed and will result in disqualification.

Breaking the rules will result in measures at the discretion of the Writers' Study Staff.

Submissions

Authors are encouraged to submit their own work.

To enter, post on this thread with all of the following information:

• the author's name
    • the title (with a link to the thread)
    • a short description/teaser
    • the game(s) used
    • details (if applicable) of mod(s) used
    • details (if applicable) of faction

If you want to nominate someone else's AAR, you must ask for (and obtain) their permission before posting the nomination.

Voting

Six entries are needed to run a regular competition.

If, after a month, we have fewer than six entries, then we wait until there are three or more submissions.

Awards

• 4 points for the Winner
    • 3 points for Second Place
    • 2 points for Third Place

If the competition has fewer than six entries, then first place will receive three points and second place will receive two.

Where a co-authored AAR wins Writers' Study Competition points, those points will be divided between all the co-authors equally. If that division results in each author receiving a fraction of a point, then each author will receive no points for a fraction less than one-half, or 1 point for a fraction of one-half or more.
    For instance, if 3 points are divided between 2 authors, dividing the points equally gives each author one and a half points. The half is rounded up, so each author actually receives 2 points.

Points are accumulated towards the awarding of the Writers' Study Competition Medals.

• 6 points - bronze medal
    • 12 points - silver medal
    • 24 points - gold medal

Default Re: MAARC LXXXIV - Submissions and nominations thread

Alright, let's get this ball rolling. I am one point away from a gold writer's medal, and will have my victory!

Author's Name: Kilo11
    Title: Written in Sand
    Description: Alexander's armies broke the might of the East, but the greed of Greek hearts could not be contained, and with Alexander's death his empire was consumed by rivalry and ambition. As the western invaders worry one another in their long-standing feuds a new power is rising, a power born of the sands and hot expanse of the desert. Out of Rekem (Petra) the Nabati are rallying. They will unite the tribes of Arabia and lead them in a final stand against the arrogant Greeks who dare to call themselves "master". They will show them the price of tyranny.

(Current state of the AAR: The Nabati are marching ever southward toward the lands of Saba'. There, they will subjugate the final pocket of resistance to a unified Arabia. However, on the high plateau there is strife already, for the tribal rivalries have erupted into a quiet and dark conflict. It is carried out in the dead of night, by spies and saboteurs, but it bleeds the land nonetheless, and none are safe from its reach.)

Game Used: Medieval 2
    Mod(s) Used: Europa Barbarorum II
    Faction: Malkuta Ha'Nabati (Nabataeans)
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Let's keep the ball rolling and if I can be a nuiscance to anyone I will at least have achieved something!

Author: Turkafinwë
    Title: To earn a Kingdom
    Latest Chapter: Chapter XV: Flight to the Hidden Vale
    Game: Medieval II total war
    Mods: Third age total war and Divide and Conquer V2.1
    Faction: Northern Dúnedain
    Description/teaser: To earn a Kingdom is the tale about the famous hero Aragorn and his quest to become both king of Arnor and Gondor. The war in the North is over and our heroes set out on a even more perilous quest to save Middle-Earth. King Aragorn Elessar raises his challenge and aims to directly assault his way into Mordor. Meanwhile back in Arnor, his son Eldarion acts as Prince-Regent dealing with the governance of the Kingdom in the King's absence. Settling minor disputes and ruling isn't as enjoyable as it's believed to be, certainly not for Eldarion. The One Ring has been found and Eldarion joins the Fellowship who need to make their way to Rivendell where they will take counsel with Elrond. But the Road holds many perils. Will our heroes make it to Imladris and uncover the secrets of the Ring?

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

I would like to nominate an AAR from a new author to these hallowed halls, but one whose tale already has me hooked and who I think shows great promise of more to come.

Author's Name: DreamKing

Title: Aed, Circenn and the Sea

Description: “Scoan had lost the Stone of Destiny, and with it most of their ancestral land. Most presumed the misfortunes linked. Sorrows begot sorrows in turn, and the Vikings came crashing into Brittania’s shores. Circenn drove them back into the sea, but at a great cost to the people.

King Aed rose to uplift his subjects’ sword arms. Alba was ripe for the taking in the King’s clear eyes. A unified Scotland lay in the exiles’ grasp. He only needed men to fight for it.”

Game Used: Thrones of Britannia

Faction: Circenn of the Gaelic Kingdoms

EDIT: Just to confirm, I do have permission from the author DreamKing to nominate his AAR for the MAARC.

Good luck to everyone.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.
    Last edited by Welsh Dragon; October 16, 2019 at 11:03 AM.

Campidoctor

Author's Name: Derc
    Title: Derc Plays Through World History
    Description:
    Spoiler for Extended Description

"I couldn't think of a finer man for the task.

Retake the former Writer's Study from the Barbarians?
    Deliver it to our beloved mods on a plate?

These competitions should be in your honor!

When I heard, Alwyn had you in mind, I can't say I was surprised.
    After all you were the Shogun's favourite enemy...

Not to mention your accomplishments at the battles of Egypt...

...and the way you surpressed the riots in the Imperator Augustus campaign.

You are the last of the great writAARs,
    and your creativity is clearly above question.

However... the ruins of the Writer's Study are a wild and unpredictable place.
    A lot can happen out of the reach of these fragrant forums.

A man might look about him and may think, ...

... perhaps, ...

... that it is all ...

... rightfully his.

Good luck, ...
    ... Derc."

Rome's light outshined everything. It enlightened the world for centuries, but nothing lasts forever. The light eventually spread into a wildfire, Rome burned, the world burned, devastated by debauchery, barbarians and the Huns. The world as we know it is no more.
    ...But every end is also a new beginning.

533 AD.
    "Romans. Hear me out, for I have a call of distress to make. The West has fallen. What was once our home is no more. Estranged, fallen to savage barbarians.
    We may have found a new home, but we should never forget our roots. Shall we let them wither among the ashes? After all we have done? After all we have achieved? No, no!
    It is time to strike forth, to deal a blow to the barbarians, to retake our former home! We recovered enough from these dark times to do so. It has to be NOW. Time is working against us. Rome shall not perish into ash. The old world shall be resurrected! Its light shall shine once more!

For this, I send you, Belisarius, my most trusted man, Last of the Romans, to retake the West!
    Remake the world anew in an area that deemed forsaken!
    Rise, Phoenix, rise from the ashes and restore your place in this world!"

Game(s) Used: All historical Total War titles (Current: Attila - The Last Roman)
    Mod(s) Used: -
    Faction: Current: Roman Expedition