Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Aed, Circenn, and the Sea [Circenn Narrative]

Default Re: Aed, Circenn, and the Sea [Circenn Narrative]

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    Indeed sorry to hear you're going through a rough patch and hope you get stronger out of it. I too write when I'm feeling down, I find it gives great energy for writing poems though I don't post them anywhere, so kudos to you for that.

I can only repeat what Alwyn and Welsh Dragon have already said. Some great phrases and nicley pased character development for our heroes. The mystery surrounding the Stone of destiny continues to grow and I'm liking it.
    Thank you so much, Turkafinwe. I'm better, just love trouble but its all for the best. Thank you for keeping up with Circenn.

The Fall of the North

Winter came.

King Sigurd remained in northern Circenn, forcing his men to withstand the biting cold in his conquest of the countryside. Men collapsed out of line, left to be buried by the heavy snowfall. Footprints stretched far to the east from the fallen, Into Ros Cuissine and then to Dear near the coast. Old men and mothers had no choice but to open their gates to the powerful foreigners. Circenn’s sons were scattered throughout the southern realms, powerless as well until the snows melted and the armies reorganized. Without the north’s harvests, however, the leadership was uncertain when the troops would be hale enough to travel north and meet Orkneyar’s army.

The Governor Who Had Had Enough

Men were unsettled still by the tumult in the north. Young General Tuathal broke from traditional conduct of warfare and led his household guard on a brash attempt to incite rebellion within Rinnin, to the northwest. The governor of Dun Foither, Ailin, watched him disappear into the blinding wash of snow.

He shuddered and cursed. He cursed the cold. He cursed the King. He cursed the war and he cursed the bloody stone that blinded Aed’s sight and made him a creature of rock that weighed the kingdom down in his foolhardy quest of Destiny.

Ailin had had enough. He wrapped his cloak around himself tighter, throwing snow out in a spray about him as he whirled around to stomp back into Dun Foither. The town was already hailed as the home of patriots and proud Gaels. Ailin cursed this too.

He woke his servants and ordered them to strike Circenn’s banner from the Meeting Hall. They balked at the order and thought they saw Mael Isu in Ailin’s eyes. Ailin raises his voice at them, claiming his role as Governor of Circenn trumped the King when the enemy was at the gates. The servants cast their eyes downward and complied, for fear of the Governor’s fury.

A new flag was raised, black and white to represent the break from the kingdom and its uncertain future as an independent state. The people didn't know what to think of it. They recognized the difficulty the kingdom was in, but to break away?

They did not have to ponder for long.

The garrison at Abberdeon readied themselves for battle shortly after the flag of rebellion was raised over Dun Foither. Mael Muiredach led his vanguard of the Fierce Eagles down the road to arrest the rogue governor of Monadh.

Muiredach didn’t think twice about calling upon his levy to stand up to Ailin. Traitors to Circenn were killed, and that was enough for him. The dishonor attributed to his family name by his own brother’s betrayal burned in his heart. A hated for traitors was borne within him, and he saw an opportunity for vengeance in Ailin. If he could deliver him to the King, his family’s name would be cleared.

Ailin saw an opportunity for a brother rebel in Muiredach, for his brother endeavored to seize his own city. He flew down the road with his best horsemen to negotiate an alliance with the only remaining general of the north. He was surprised to meet the man on the road, and much more surprised to find him at the head of an army.

He hailed the General, wishing to meet him man to man between the two forces. The General ignored Ailin’s hail, spurring his army even faster toward the Governor. Ailin turned his horse around, and cast his wary eye toward the Circenn soldiers. The columns of spearmen and swordsmen closed around the road, quickly limiting Ailin’s possible escape to the rear.

General Muiredach approached the Governor and commanded him to surrender. Ailin was taken aback by this, certain the man harbored a lust for independence like Mael Isu had. Muiredach was enraged by Ailin’s motion. He cursed the man and flew into a fury, ordering his spearmen to charge into the rebel horsemen’s flanks.

Governor Ailin cried out for peace but Muiredach charged him and bowled over his frightened horse and trampled the man under hoof. The rest of Ailin’s force fared no better, and were slaughtered in their saddles. Mael Muiredach didn’t let any escape, for fear of creating more Ailins or Isus. He gathered up Ailin’s body, and marched his troops back to Abberdeon, no more relieved than he was when he woke that morning.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Ruarcc is really becoming one of my favourite characters here. Putting his position and life on the line to save the common man. Aed seems to be a strange man giving mixed messages concerning Ruarcc's decision making going from rage to merriment in a matter of moments. I don't know if you write it this way intentionally or not this is just the way I perceive it, either way it's an interesting character to be sure. Cessation from the state is never a good sign. Muiredach dealt it with swiflty and ruthlessly, his personal motivations nicely flowing into the narrative. It is clear Muiredach is still troubled after the battle, a notion I liked very much.

Ruarcc is really becoming one of my favourite characters here. Putting his position and life on the line to save the common man. Aed seems to be a strange man giving mixed messages concerning Ruarcc's decision making going from rage to merriment in a matter of moments. I don't know if you write it this way intentionally or not this is just the way I perceive it, either way it's an interesting character to be sure. Cessation from the state is never a good sign. Muiredach dealt it with swiflty and ruthlessly, his personal motivations nicely flowing into the narrative. It is clear Muiredach is still troubled after the battle, a notion I liked very much.

Aed is pretty stressed out.

I probably didn't do enough to make the frantic King seem natural in his whirlwind of emotions confronting and then being comforted by our favorite General. After I complete this story's natural run I may go back and polish that entry. Thank you for reading!

Tuathal's Welcome

To the northwest, Tuathal woke pleased as a Pict.

Rinnin had practically thrown its doors open to welcome the man. He had with him only his sworn friends but the townsfolk had received them like a liberating army. Tuathal and his boys were so surprised, at first they thought themselves under attack.

But the battle cries were shouts of cheer, and the blows struck were pats on the back and hands extended in greeting. Great smiles spread across the lads’ faces when the barmaids came out of the pub, pints in hand. Tuathal sobered and checked about himself, making sure all around celebrating were truly celebrating, and no jagged Viking teeth peeked from joyous men’s lips.

The men around him were Gaels. The Vikings knew their presence wouldn’t be wanted within conclaves of proud Gaels and Picts, exiles and proud Circenn through and through. The people who lived and depended upon Alban soil would never turn on their brothers, regardless of Orkneyar oppression.

Tuathal knee what role he would serve in the disputed north. He would keep Circenn on the people’s minds, he would remind them where their hearts should remain. All the while he would be drinking all they had to offer and enjoying a local lass or two; he would live well during a war.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

When Tuathal disappeared into a "blinding wash of snow" (nice phrasing!), I wondered if we'd see him again. When Mael Muiredach marched against the rebellion, the identity of the rebel leader added an extra level to the drama. I'm enjoying this!

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    When Tuathal disappeared into a "blinding wash of snow" (nice phrasing!), I wondered if we'd see him again. When Mael Muiredach marched against the rebellion, the identity of the rebel leader added an extra level to the drama. I'm enjoying this!
    Thank you, Alwyn. Its great to see you guys popping up to continue on. To be wholly honest I don't know what the Mael means but a bunch of characters have it so I just made them brothers. We're getting close to the end, guys! I have a couple of surprises in store. Keep your eyes out!

Dead Brother Mael

War lived, and lived on.

Mael Muiredach found it roaring and pounding on his door.

King Sigurd had continued his campaign down the eastern coast of Alba, and had reached Abberdeon, a key settlement situated on the border between northern and southern Circenn. Ros Cuissine and Dear were subjugated, and Rinnin was too far away to be brought back into the fold of Circenn.

Sigurd was unaware of Rinnin’s sway and if he had been aware, he would not have cared. Gaelic blood and land called out to him. With his army of one thousand men, he approached the city. Mael Muiredach had scarcely returned from his run over Ailin when the horde of infantry began massing beyond the hills.

Muiredach did not see this as another opportunity to uplift his name. He knew it was death. His soldiers numbered hardly a third of Sigurd’s. He knew King Aed and his other generals were no longer mired down south and word had already been dispatched to alert them to the Orkneyarian threat.

He knew they would never arrive in time. Not in time to spare he and his men the sword.

He gathered his infantry and his bowmen, and took them to the hill before the town; a final effort to spare Abberdeon destruction. He wasn’t sure if they would agree to follow him if they knew he intended to sacrifice all their lives to King Sigurd’s maw in the hope of spilling enough Viking blood to tip the war in King Aed’s favor when his army came.

He ordered his spearmen to a box formation, using their shields to form a fortress around themselves at the ends of the row of bowmen upon the hill. His axemen and swordsmen stood before them, the first and last line of defense for Muiredach’s last stand.

The Viking infantry charged through the brush, shattering the tense peace that precipitated the clash. The swordsmen fell to a knee, overcome by the force of the Viking push. The axemen chopped the arms off of any man that tried to clamor over the weakened front line. The archers laid down covering fire over the axemen’s heads, turning the enemy’s advantage into an opportunity to preserve the swordsmen.

The Vikings were not inconvenienced for long. Their sheer numbers swarmed over the hill, pushing the spearmen into their comrades holding back the frontal wave of wild warriors.

A war horn sounded simultaneously from the left and right flank of Sigurd’s army. Muiredach led his melee cavalry into the rear of the throng of troops waiting to push up onto the hill. The men were caught completely off guard, sent bodily over their comrades by the destructive force of the charge.

From the other end of the massive army of Vikings, horsemen wielding javelins rode past the columns of infantry to turn on the spot, charging toward Sigurd’s personal Hearthguard. They peppered the backs of the hardy guard as they desperately threw themselves over their King.

Half of the guard was downed by javelins by the end of the unit’s pass. The Hearthguard brought their shields to bear and the rears of the columns turned to pursue the horses. They evaded the infantry units, but found their path intersected Muiredach’s escape route, throwing the horsemen into disarray. The men shouted at one another while the Vikings saw their chance and closed in on them.

The archers fired on the men who broke away from the main force but their time was being cut close. The swordsmen were shattered, replaced by the spearmen and were soon cut down themselves. The Norse berserkers broke through the flanks and swept through the missile troops, killing the only support the cavalry had in their attempt to escape with their lives.

Some of Muiredach’s horsemen had been caught and dragged out of their saddles, thinning his already diminished force of javelin and melee cavalry. He wheeled his horses around to face the men running toward them from the hill he had stood his men on. He knew they were defeated. He felt sorry for that, but then, he had known full well they would all die that day.

He looked to his remaining men but couldn’t find any words to say to them. He wouldn’t have looked back if they decided to turn and run. But they didn’t, and neither did he.

He led the charge into the Viking line, and another Mael brother was no more.

The residents of Abberdeon shaded their eyes and saw men move no more in their defense. The storm of Vikings rumbled and reorganized themselves and wheeled about to face the defenseless city. The people cried out and ran back into the city.

Few looked back, and saw the army turn back around, starting their march back northward. The witnesses cheered and praised God and Muiredach and got their neighbors’ attention, stopping them as well. They watched as the bleeding army limped as fast as they could back to whence they came.

Content Emeritus

Muiredach gave the ultimate sacrifice for his country. I do hope he will be remembered as the hero he was. An excellent portrayel of the battle.

Muiredach gave the ultimate sacrifice for his country. I do hope he will be remembered as the hero he was. An excellent portrayel of the battle.
    Ah thanks man. I wasn't that satisfied with it but I'm glad it was good enough to be liked by you.

Tuthal's War

Ros Cuissine was much like Rinnin.

Far from battle, happy to see Tuathal, and chock full of maidens robbed of men’s company by the wars of Alba. Tuathal saw to it all were liberated, and the rare Vikings left to oversee the hostage Gaels and Picts summarily executed and the matter good as buried.

Men took his horses to be fed and watered and even more came to discuss matters of rebellion with the far-from-home emissary of King Aed. Men were admitted to the band of riders, elders copied messages for the General, and plans were hatched to undermine the Orkneyar pigs from behind their own battle lines.

Tuathal took the able bodied men of the village and had them led him to every good hiding spot they knew. He identified where holes should be dug and how much food should be left bundled in each one.

If and when the Vikings came back, they would find no food to support themselves. They would be forced to split their army and leave suitable amounts of supplies for them, or none at all.

Tuathal realized then, that he couldn’t stay long. If the sleight was to succeed, it must not fall to the villagers alone. He gathered his riders and told them to be ready to ride at first light.

He cracked his back and cursed all the riding they would have to do. He spotted bright blue eyes and a band of black velvet holding back a wave of raven colored hair peeking at him from behind a tree. He looked away and feigned a yawn and shuffled into the house yielded to him by the Chieftain. He fell against the wall, waiting to pounce on the curious lass. He chuckled and was glad to be away from the war once again.

I agree with Turk, the tale of Muiredach's last stand is well told! Tuathal's strategy sounds like a clever one, I wonder if it will work.

I'm very happy the forums back up! A little update about me, the love trouble I was having got a whole lot worse, so I'm going to be moving 300 miles away soon and thus abandoning my second semester of college. I have lost the will to write but I have this tale finished in my docs and we're almost there. Thanks to everyone for their rep comments and their takes on the entries. Love you.

King Sigurd's Folly

As soon as the battle was won, a courier approached King Sigurd and told him Rinnin was lost. He balked at the man and had to restrain himself from attacking the man. Abberdeon was his for the taking, but with a weakened army and unsecured backlines, he couldn’t risk having his incursion turned into a folly by Circenn’s own King and guerrillas.

He cursed the Gaels and kicked his horse into a gallop toward the north. His bodyguard followed close behind and his Generals overcame their shock to order the men into marching formation to follow the King.

By the time they reached Rinnin, Ros Cuissine was lost. The people of Rinnin stood outside their houses, offering no resistance of explanation. They peered from downcast eyes at King Sigurd to see him pounce from his saddle onto the messenger, dragging them both to the ground. The King roared and pummeled the man with his fists until his bodyguards pulled him from the battered man. Sigurd pushed them away and climbed back onto his saddle. He looked at all the faces staring at him, Gael and Norse alike, concerned and fearful. He seethed and whipped his horse, tearing northwest in a rage that unnerved berserkers.

The Birth of a Prince

Summer came, and Aed’s exile on icy roads the prior winter was long thawed and forgotten by Scoan Castle.

A baby screamed into being, waking the sun and forcing him to begrudgingly acknowledge the second son of the King. He was named Boite, and garnered the love of his parents soon after he was swaddled and presented his mother’s breast. Aed held onto his wife’s shoulder, beaming down at the both of them in silent awe. Causantin peered from behind his father’s leg at the strange new member of the royal family. Aed looked down at the lad and pushed him to the bed. He introduced the Prince to his brother, and charged him with being a good brother, for he would one day be king, and Boite would not. A king needed good men and no men could be greater than his own flesh and blood.

Causantin’s eyes widened and he nodded to his father. He leaned closer and closer to the babe, until he stole Boite’s attention away from his meal for but a curious albeit warily cast eye.

Cainnech smiled through her haze of exhaustion. She saw her two sons as two angels on an abbey mural. The baby’s eyes were as clear as stained glass, staring up at her in nascent wonder. She looked to her husband, and saw those same eyes, faded but still true. She thanked God for blessing her, her family. Before she fell into a deep sleep, she asked for the Lord’s continued guardianship over them all, and to guide Aed in his quest, so Boite would live to see a kingdom he would be proud to lead.

There's No Horse Faster Than Tuathal's

Tuathal was hard at work in the north, so his King could enjoy a precious moment at home. He was riding to Dear in the first hours of the new Prince’s life. Dear was wary in receiving his band, but just as happy to see Circenn men. The Chieftain met with Tuathal in his Meeting House after setting up his riders with refreshment.

The weary man informed the General of King Sigurd’s arrival and hasty departure, with nary a man left behind to police them. He was too afraid of interception to send word down south to learn what was happening in the rest of the kingdom. Tuathal embraced the man’s wrist and told him of the liberation of the northern towns. The Chieftain was surprised, he hadn’t been aware that the King had come and beaten Sigurd out of the north.

Tuathal chuckled and let the man in on the plan to resist Orkneyar occupation. The Chieftain’s eyes bulged and he rubbed his chin in consideration. Tuathal asked him to carry out the measures Ros Cuissine had taken to hide food and supplies, and to inform Sigurd that he had taken them away on their ride. He was confident this would draw the ire of the King from the village people, and keep the invaders busy until the King really did come with an army.

A rider swept into the room, an urgent look burning across his face. He declared the sighting of King Sigurd in Ros Cuissine. Tuathal smirked and pulled his helmet on. He told the Chieftain to hold fast, and ready his people to receive an angry monarch.

He bid the village goodbye, and spurred his cavalry south. His force would cut back west to Rinnin, leaving Sigurd to trudge after him in the birth of fall. Dear was retaken after Ros Cuissine, but Sigurd was still holding hostile, vacant lands. His rage kept him warm and wore down his horses hooves and numbed his foot soldier’s feet.

No matter how hard or fast he drove his soldiers, he would get no closer to the elusive cavalry General that made such a fool of the Orkneyarian invasion. He would arrive in a village devoid of horses, but abundant in hoofprints. He would ride through the night just to be stranded behind a river with Tuathal resting with impunity on the other side. He scarcely spoke any more, for he thought every word he’d speak would be ridiculed behind his back. He believed he was such a fool to be evaded by a rogue company of horses for so long with so much might at his back. His vow of silence unnerved his soldiers and forced his officers to improvise, often drawing outrage from the King if he found the orders given or judgements made to be anything the most fleet after the Circenn marauders.

Well, guys, its gotten alot worse. The girl trouble evolved into physically attacking me and trying to take my things from me. Ive been driven out of my apartment, my only goal during this last portion of the semester ruined. Im at a friend's now and I feel empty and dazed, I dont know how im going to keep going but i have no choice but to.

I wonder how Boite will get on with his brother as they grow up, since only one of them will rule. I wonder if you'd like to include more hints about where some of the places are, as you did in a previous post ("Abberdeon, a key settlement situated on the border between northern and southern Circenn"). I'm enjoying your phrasing, such as "devoid of horses, but abundant in hoofprints", and watching the events unfold.

I'm sorry to hear that your situation has got much worse, I hope you get what you need to keep going.

Content Emeritus

I like Tuathal and his unconventional but very succesful method in dealing with the Orkenyar invasion. I too wonder if the two brothers will get along through time. It is indeed sometimes a bit difficult to know where some things are happening. It is not detrimental to follow the story, it is extra information that raises the quality of the presentation of your AAR. A screenshot of the campaign map does a lot. It's up to you if you wish to do this, either way I enjoy this story.

It saddens me to hear that the situation has escalated. Hope you keep yourself well, as well as can in such serious conditions. Hang in there.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast