Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Afghanistan Peace Talks

Gigantus's Avatar I am thinking more about running away now then I did as a kid, but by the time I put my teeth in, my glasses on and find my car keys I forget why I am going.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Modding Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Afghanistan Peace Talks

Yup, not being 'bourgeois' in statements like this simply raises misleading expectations, but then he won't stop using exaggerated adjectives and nouns when describing something (anything) involving him, right?

As showcased right here, both aspects of it.

-----------

Being the sole reason of the 'collapse' I am still wondering why the US assumed that the Afghan government would release those 5000 prisoners, did they have any assurances? Or were they not clear enough that it wasn't a precondition for talks between Taliban and Afghan government?
    I admit to coming to that observation based on generals news, do feel free to set me right with pertinent data.
    Last edited by Gigantus; March 04, 2020 at 08:19 PM.

Cope's Avatar 777777777777777
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Yup, not being 'bourgeois' in statements like this simply raises misleading expectations, but then he won't stop using exaggerated adjectives and nouns when describing something (anything) involving him, right?

As showcased right here, both aspects of it.
    It is a matter of interest to me that so many people seem prioritize rhetoric over substance (certainly something which Trump has benefited from in the past). I note, for instance, that you have't actually leveled a criticism of the WH's attempts to broker a truce with the Taliban; you instead opted to post a cynical, semantic complaint relating to the president's conversation. It certainly feels as though there's a dedicated group who'd happily see the US fail just to spite Trump.

Legio_Italica's Avatar Lost in Limbo
    Civitate Magistrate Gaming Staff

Trump wants to be able to tell his base he won the war in Afghanistan before they head to the polls. We’ll see how it works out for him.

Cope's Avatar 777777777777777
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica View Post
    Trump wants to be able to tell his base he won the war in Afghanistan before they head to the polls. We’ll see how it works out for him.
    Whereas you want the peace talks to fail so that Trump won't benefit in the polls. Is that about right?

Gigantus's Avatar I am thinking more about running away now then I did as a kid, but by the time I put my teeth in, my glasses on and find my car keys I forget why I am going.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Modding Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ep1c_fail View Post
    It is a matter of interest to me that so many people seem prioritize rhetoric over substance (certainly something which Trump has benefited from in the past). I note, for instance, that you have't actually leveled a criticism of the WH's attempts to broker a truce with the Taliban; you instead opted to post a cynical, semantic complaint relating to the president's conversation. It certainly feels as though there's a dedicated group who'd happily see the US fail just to spite Trump.
    The substance I see is a 'peace treaty' that didn't involve the Afghan government and which became nil and void within an amazingly short time. It directly relates to (is the reason for) my comment regarding 'unrealistic high expectations' raised by the president by his rhetoric. Personally I am of two minds whether or not the US should withdraw from Afghanistan given the Taliban's record (irrelevant now given what happened), but a mess like this certainly isn't going to achieve anything positive.

I have no problem with someone creating the reason of his ridicule on a continuous basis, I do have a major problem with someone misleading others for personal gain. I think I stated quite clearly in another thread that I don't give a what party he represents, so I am really not interested in the political angle other then for the machinations involving it.

Edit: I'd happily see Trump fail (as a president and individual) from that perspective, but considering that it could be at considerable expense to the US it might be bitter sweet.
    Last edited by Gigantus; March 04, 2020 at 09:27 PM.

Legio_Italica's Avatar Lost in Limbo
    Civitate Magistrate Gaming Staff

Quote Originally Posted by ep1c_fail View Post
    Whereas you want the peace talks to fail so that Trump won't benefit in the polls. Is that about right?
    No.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123