Thread: Hello old friends, and where TW has taken me...

Nanny de Bodemloze's Avatar Treason is just dates
    Artifex

Default Hello old friends, and where TW has taken me...

Hello TW friends - I haven't been here in a VERY long time, but I have an interesting story that may give people some ideas or inspiration

Many many years ago, I wrote some AARs here on the forums for Empire. One reader bemoaned the lack of screenshots. In a huff, I decided to go one up: I'd do a video. Except, I had no machinima skills whatsoever. So I taught myself the basics of editing, learned FRAPS in and out, and started making vids for a little fun.

Over the next couple of years, I was approached to do some in-game cutscenes and vids, and a few ads for a couple of the big video game companies. It made me a couple of $s, but was still a hobby. Eventually, I was getting enough contract work to contemplate serious work. Curious, I thought I would dip my toe into the world of editing film: short films and documentaries to start. That took off, but was not hugely lucrative $$ wise, so I took a left turn into sound.

Now, I have a career and a business (with a few employees) doing location audio for tv shows, feature films, and sport networks. I've done sci-fi films, cooking networks, interviews of top athletes, and even a bunch of Hallmark and Lifetime films lol...a bit of everything.

No joke - it never would have happened without the thriving community here that I was once a part of.

My lesson is that if you are willing to put in the work, you never know where your hobby may take you. If someone critiques your work, learn from it and do better. And follow the money

Cheers everyone!

Steve (aka The Nanny)

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Hello old friends, and where TW has taken me...

Cheers to you and your path!
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Moral of the story: Complain. You'll aggravate your victim so much you make him a success.

I didn't miss the point, you missed the point! >

I really liked your stuff back in the day and always wondered what had become of you.

I'm glad to know your work here brought success! Keep it up!

La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham's Avatar Artifex♔Duffer♔Civitate
    Patrician Citizen

The Den,with a massive pair of binoculars, surveying TWC, ensuring members are laughing & happy!

Nanny is a legend in making videos and a splendid duffer to boot!

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained Dufferism"

This is why I always tell people that gaming is not just gaming or not only gaming. You see gaming helps you to find motivation, it helps you to learn more and achieve more. Gaming is at some point new form of education and Nanny's example is proof of it. Well done!

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

I will double take what Nanny said - it happened to me as well.

I started writing on the forums (TWC and Org) and from there my writing hobby progressed. I made a blog out of my writing hobby capabilities, and that blog landed me my first professional job. 6 years almost from there and I'm a IT professional, working in high echelons and having a lot of fun. I started in 2005 - 14 years later, yeah, it's good!

Thank you TWC and TW community!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    I will double take what Nanny said - it happened to me as well.

I started writing on the forums (TWC and Org) and from there my writing hobby progressed. I made a blog out of my writing hobby capabilities, and that blog landed me my first professional job. 6 years almost from there and I'm a IT professional, working in high echelons and having a lot of fun. I started in 2005 - 14 years later, yeah, it's good!

Thank you TWC and TW community!
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Congratulations! It's brilliant to hear that the community here contributed to turning a hobby into a career and a business.

If people reading this would like to know what AARs are, to read one or write one, the Writers' Study awaits.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Thank you gentlemen, I hope this place helps as many people as possible.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Miles

Nice progression from hobby to career, describes my past years as well, finally getting paid for writing and editing and learning, things I once did for fun. I too wrote several AARs for TWC many years ago, and frankly, I still love those things. I want to do more. It's possible one's goals and achievements can revolve right back here to a hobby you love.

And those AARs are the reason I'm here. I notice Photobucket is censoring my photos, and those of others, now charging an unaffordable fee for the service. I expected this. Does anyone know where I can put the photos to restore the quality screenshots for my AARs without a fee?

Imgur is, in my opinion, the best option. It's easy and free to use and images uploaded there are always visible, regardless of your account's privileges or the Internet browsers other members use (for example, in Mozilla, I can't view certain pictures posted in other hosting sites).

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Seconded on imgur, long lasted, and yet not prone to the bollocks of other platforms. Native TWC hosting could be an idea if you want to finagle, if you have it, even discord has proven a reliable enough source for me.

I was also able to put to good use whatever graphic skills I acquired in order to partake in the local graphic competitions here. I can honestly say that I'm still benefitting from this knowledge in what I do for a living almost on a daily basis.