Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inauguration of Arthur Lionheart, 1789

Default Re: Inauguration of Arthur Lionheart, 1789

"Oh yes"

Said the patroon.

"She's a match for Peggy, Old Schuyler didn't raise meek creatures, for sure"

He added.

"My own wife is also in that salon, so they probably teamed up"

The Dutch-American chews non-chantically a bite of a sweet. He sips a bit of wine.

"You're now a dashing secretary, no wonder why. I came because, how couldn't I attend? But I'm a bit at loss at this, I must admit, because I have no career or political estature. Even if I exchanged words with fellow... with some acquaintances"

He had talked with some freemasons of the lodge, member of the congress. And also with people he remembered from parties, receptions and even Harvard.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

@Gandulf

The now Senator Jean-Baptiste Bellerose approached the governor of his home state, being a Marylander he thought it only prudent to address the chief executive of his own state, before mingling with his friends among the French and Spanish delegations. “Governor Howard. It is good to see you here, representing our great state.” The French American says.

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles of Athens View Post
    @Barry

“Your condolences are appreciated, hopefully we can keep that snake from working his way back into importance.” He could never understand why Lionheart nor his own father had sacked the man, discrediting him fully when they had the chance. “That it did, particularly well for yours.” The younger Bellerose agreed. God only knows where my father will end up. The youth thought, there was no military to serve in, not yet, and his father did not seem the man to run for office.. but he had to have returned to the former colonies for a reason. “After all, your father sits one step away from a Kingship.” He laughed, there were men that would take offense at such a statement of course, but the younger Bellerose was far from meek. “Yes. We must strive to surpass our fathers, even as their shadows continue to grow with fresh achievements.” He nodded. “The war was a diffrent time, a different world. One where enemies were clean and honor was obvious. But, in peace perhaps we can make a name as well? I have found myself positioned in the House, and what of you? I hear you sought an office for yourself?” He questioned.
    Ah, if only my father would take that last step. But Lionel had forcefully argued for a monarchy before, and been shot down by none other than his old man. This inauguration, which would have been a coronation - and not at all preceded by an election - if he'd had his way and his father had had a little more ambition, was not the time or place to rehash that idea. "I did. The General Assembly of Virginia saw fit to elect me to one of our new Senate's seats, and I hope to serve both my state and union ably in this capacity." He proudly said in answer to Bellerose's question. "The old Congress was toothless, and determined to remain as such until events made it readily obvious that it could not be so indefinitely - I speak not only of Shays' Rebellion, but also matters like the feud between Pennsylvanian Pennamites and Connecticut Yankees. Our new Congress must not make the same mistakes."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    That's exactly what father said about Shay. If only we had our navy and army still around, then that rebellion would have been over within a few short weeks.

Harrison pats his son's shoulder after Robert speaks. He then takes a step back, thanking the President for his time. Lionel looks at his son for a moment before turning to Arthur.

Shay's Rebellion reminded us all of how fragile our country still is. I can only hope that the states vote for the reintroduction of a federal army and navy to protect our country. Both Spain and Britain are just a stone's throwaway and France may be our ally... but I always felt that was a marriage of convenience. I hear that King Louis was hardly happy at the gains the French made.

Lionel grabs a drink from a passing tray.

Not to mention the many native tribes that live beyond our borders. Our people will need protection if they seek to settle further and further West.

Robert, who was still present, spoke in turn.

Shipping lanes to the South are still unprotected by the pirates that linger around the islands of the Bahamas and the Caribbean. Not to mention privateers in Europe and the corsairs of the Ottoman Empire and the African nations.
    "Aye, aye." Arthur nodded as the Harrisons spoke, finding that he agreed with everything they were saying. "I'm sure the state of our finances is less than ideal, and that many fear the institution of a permanent standing army. But it is apparent now, as it was after Camden and all those other battles where we tried to send state militias up against Britain's finest, that a standing military will be crucial to our survival as a nation. Remind me, are you in our new Congress?" He hoped at least one of the Harrisons would be. He'd need all the allies he could get to approve funding for a military, after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfus View Post
    Alexander arrived rather fashionably late, just in time to catch the President's inaugural address. Perhaps a little inappropriate for a member of the cabinet, but Hamilton never exactly adhered to convention. At his arm was his bride, the lady Schuyler, followed in turn by his eldest son Philip, an already handsome lad with inquisitive eyes that gawped at the grandiosity of this display of Presidential power. Known to the political establishment, Hamilton was fending off Congressmen and Senators as soon as he had arrived, parrying their fawning with polite rebuttals as he made his way towards the now-President Lionheart, who he had risen from serving as Chief of Staff during the war to now being named as his Secretary of the Treasury.

"You seem to have things well in hand, Sir. The government does not seem to have collapsed just yet. But there is still time."

Hamilton japed in greeting, adopting a playful visage of seriousness as he wagged a finger in warning.
    "I haven't even started and I'm already wishing for such a collapse!" Arthur joked right back. "So many people have come, determined not to enjoy the festivities which I have prepared - or, at least, not just to enjoy the night - but rather to bother me with talk of politics. 'Mr. President, what are your thoughts on the Rhode Island tax rates? What about our relations with this-or-that country? Or how about a standing fleet of submersibles and whether it would be adequate defense from the Barbary corsairs?'" He bellowed with laughter even as he waved his arms about in exaggerated fashion. "How should I know, when I have not had time to read the detailed reports on any of this which, no doubt, have been prepared for me? I've been President for a few hours! It's all madness. Matters of state can be tackled on the morrow, rather than distracting us from enjoying ourselves to-night." He shook his head, still grinning. Of course, as a former presidential candidate and newsreader Lionheart already had at least some inkling of the issues challenging the nation, but to state as such would detract from the humor. "Anyway, how are you, Alexander? This must be your wife and son, I presume."
    Quote Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
    "Yes, indeed, he was. I never met someone as determined. He died when I was still a kid, sadly"

Replied Stephen.

"But he did talk proudly of his service to the nation and with your father, of course"

He smiles slightly.

"My brother-in-law is always willing enough to share his exploits. Mr Hamilton is a force of nature, so to speak"

Maybe the mercurial Lionheart empathized with the bold secretary.
    "The nation may have lost a great statesman when Philip Livingston passed, but you lost a grand-father as well. My condolences on your loss." Lionel said politely. It never hurt, and occasionally helped, to extend sincere and honorable condolences to the relatives of dead great men, in his experience.

"That Hamilton always is," He stated later, nodding firmly. "He is not one to hide his opinions on matters off the battlefield, either. But what about you, Mr. Van Rensselaer? Surely you have thoughts on the great and relevant matters of our Union this day, whether it be the Vermont question or the state of anarchy that Massachusetts nearly devolved into two years ago. Could I trouble you for those thoughts?" Not that Van Rensselaer had to answer at these celebrations. In fact, if Lionel deigned to ask his father the same question, he was pretty sure Arthur would brush it off and tell him to focus on having fun rather than blather about politics on this day. But it couldn't hurt to get at least a small inkling of who he might be dealing with in the future.

The Sanfords would arrive in time for the President and Vice President's speeches, and once the celebration began, spend their time in conservation with other notables from Rhode Island, New England, or in the case of Thomas Sanford, with fellow captains from the Continental Navy.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    "Aye, aye." Arthur nodded as the Harrisons spoke, finding that he agreed with everything they were saying. "I'm sure the state of our finances is less than ideal, and that many fear the institution of a permanent standing army. But it is apparent now, as it was after Camden and all those other battles where we tried to send state militias up against Britain's finest, that a standing military will be crucial to our survival as a nation. Remind me, are you in our new Congress?" He hoped at least one of the Harrisons would be. He'd need all the allies he could get to approve funding for a military, after all.
    Immediately, Robert glanced at his father, Lionel, who grinned at the President. Lionel had won his Senatorial seat just earlier this year and was pleased to be given the chance to do so.

I was Secretary of War two times, Your Excellency. I am not ready to leave the political scene just yet. You know well that I have sought to see our army and navy rebuilt. Otherwise, we will be sitting ducks if the damned lobsters come back with orders from the Tyrant, King George, to reclaim us. We can't count of the militias... they break easily and their equipment varies from state to state.

State funding varied which resulted in equipment varying as well. The militia of New York was certainly different than the militia of Georgia.

Even if its a small fighting force, its better than nothing. My son, here, plans to gather former naval personnel to build up support and campaign for a naval rebuilding. We need to protect our nation, from within and without. The Revolution proved the former, and the recent rebellion proved the latter. Rest assured, you will have my utmost and strong support.

"Another time indeed! God willing, it will be soon." Arthur lamented. Time with Lionel's children had been a precious break from the war and the relentless intrigues against Harris and his ilk. "And I assure you, I miss leading the entire army as much as Joseph might miss leading his unit. But, such is the cost of peace, which has its own welcome benefits anyway."

"Truthfully I would prefer to fix our capital at Philadelphia, which already served us nobly during the war."
    Lionheart confided when James asked. "But I think that would anger our fellow Southrons as greatly as leaving it in New York would. Fixing it at Richmond or Charleston is likely to have a similar effect on the North, in my estimation. Perhaps someplace in Maryland, as close as possible to the exact geographical center between all our states, would be best, if I cannot persuade Congress to keep it at Philadelphia."
    James could see that the President had thoroughly examined this situation. The choice of a capital would likely have its effect on the various politicians if it wasn't positioned just right after all.

I believe Philadelphia would be a suitable capital. Its role during the Revolution was paramount and I know my former British superiors know of its vital importance. It was the ideal stronghold in the North and if, God forbid, Britain returns, Philadelphia would be perfectly situated to serve as a command post against any northern advance.

The commander side of MacCotter came out in that instance, recalling the northern campaigns from what he had read.

Speaking of Maryland, the city of Annapolis, along Chesapeake Bay, was a temporary capital recently for the nation and it served as the seat for the Confederation Congress. Given its position along the coast, it would certainly be quite the place to situate a capital. Chesapeake Bay is easy to defend if you situate sound forts along its coast with good cannon and garrisons. The bay is already an ideal place for trade and shipping, so it would present a place to attract citizens for business. Built up right and it could be an ideal capital, Your Excellency.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

"Oh yes"

Said the patroon.

"She's a match for Peggy, Old Schuyler didn't raise meek creatures, for sure"

He added.

"My own wife is also in that salon, so they probably teamed up"

The Dutch-American chews non-chantically a bite of a sweet. He sips a bit of wine.

"You're now a dashing secretary, no wonder why. I came because, how couldn't I attend? But I'm a bit at loss at this, I must admit, because I have no career or political estature. Even if I exchanged words with fellow... with some acquaintances"

He had talked with some freemasons of the lodge, member of the congress. And also with people he remembered from parties, receptions and even Harvard.

"You say that, but I know you don't lack for friends here."

Hamilton smirked. The Dutchman might not be a politician, but he was more than wealthy enough to command an army of allies and favours that was perhaps equivalent to political office.

"Besides, who is to say you could not enter politics? If you were bored enough, that is."

@Gandulf

The now Senator Jean-Baptiste Bellerose approached the governor of his home state, being a Marylander he thought it only prudent to address the chief executive of his own state, before mingling with his friends among the French and Spanish delegations. “Governor Howard. It is good to see you here, representing our great state.” The French American says.
    Philip was a perfectly groomed man of middling height and stature, perhaps unremarkable aside from the ostentatious way he dressed himself and the hint of aristocratic English airs and graces in his voice.

"Senatpr Bellerose, a pleasure."

Howard extends a hand.

"We men of Maryland must stick together, as I was just telling my fellow compatriots."

Most Americans were Protestant, and regarded Howard and his ilk with suspicion. As if some Popish takeover were in the works...

"I haven't even started and I'm already wishing for such a collapse!" Arthur joked right back. "So many people have come, determined not to enjoy the festivities which I have prepared - or, at least, not just to enjoy the night - but rather to bother me with talk of politics. 'Mr. President, what are your thoughts on the Rhode Island tax rates? What about our relations with this-or-that country? Or how about a standing fleet of submersibles and whether it would be adequate defense from the Barbary corsairs?'" He bellowed with laughter even as he waved his arms about in exaggerated fashion. "How should I know, when I have not had time to read the detailed reports on any of this which, no doubt, have been prepared for me? I've been President for a few hours! It's all madness. Matters of state can be tackled on the morrow, rather than distracting us from enjoying ourselves to-night." He shook his head, still grinning. Of course, as a former presidential candidate and newsreader Lionheart already had at least some inkling of the issues challenging the nation, but to state as such would detract from the humor. "Anyway, how are you, Alexander? This must be your wife and son, I presume."

"Yes, business of state may begin tomorrow... Assuming we aren't all cursed with a sore head. Then we may perhaps postpone it for another day, eh?"

The Secretary grinned, then turned to his wife and child.

"Elizabeth and Philip."

Alexander introduced them with a wave of the hand. Betsey smiled politely, whilst Philip looked at his shoes. Hamilton senior rolled his eyes.

"A pleasure to meet you, Excellency."

Hamilton's bride intoned, gently nudging her son to parrot her greeting. He remained stubborn.

@Barry

Philippe raised an eyebrow curiously. “So you would argue the federal government, not the states, should have control over the extent of borders and the settlement of those disputes?” The Representative would not reveal his hand just yet. Instead he would test the waters first.

Philip was a perfectly groomed man of middling height and stature, perhaps unremarkable aside from the ostentatious way he dressed himself and the hint of aristocratic English airs and graces in his voice.

"Senatpr Bellerose, a pleasure."

Howard extends a hand.

"We men of Maryland must stick together, as I was just telling my fellow compatriots."

Most Americans were Protestant, and regarded Howard and his ilk with suspicion. As if some Popish takeover were in the works...
    Jean-Baptiste for his part wore somewhat muted clothing, his hair unkempt. Though the most popular scent from France wafted from him. “I could not agree more.” Bellerose replied. “We must stay strong if Maryland is to remain strong.” He fiddles his fingers. “Tell me, what are your opinions on the new powers of the federal government?”

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

Richard contemplated returning home, he grew tired of the festivities and wished to see his wife. This day was for Lionheart, his own absent would go unnoticed by the guests. Richard decide to stay a little longer to keep up appearances, but in fact wanting to go home.

————————————————————

Gilbert Clare the Governor of Massachusetts arrives with his younger brother Thomas Clare to congratulate the president on his inauguration

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

cfmonkey45's Avatar Praeses

Jonathan Crawford, and his wife Elizabeth, arrives to congratulate the new President is the United States of America.

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

"Let us toast!" Arthur raised his glass, beaming. "To a better, safer and freer home for our children and grandchildren. I'm sure that of all eighty-five members of our Congress you can find eight-six rivaling opinions, as you could have with the Continental Congress, and likewise you could easily find fourteen opinions between our thirteen states..." He chuckled at that. Sometimes it felt like he spent more time wrangling with Congress for resources or to protect his position from wannabe usurpers like Harris than actually fighting the Revolutionary War. "But that is well and good, so long as all remember to set their petty feuds aside for the sake of the American nation when it matters."
    Lifting his own glass in toast "And what a great nation it can be. We truly stand free to charter our own destiny. These next few years will set the course for the next 100." feeling a buzz from the alcohol James kept going "If the confederation has shown anything it's that we will not endure if we remain divided. We must find a balance between the interest of our states and the well being of our nation." How this was to be accomplished James was still torn on.

Pausing to let his words digest. "I do not envy you Arthur for the task you have taken upon yourself. I can only offer whatever help I may be able to provide." Provided that help did not conflict too much with the interest of his fellow Virginians.

James would drink from his glass as Edward spoke.

He commanded His Excellency's 2nd Light Dragoon Regiment by 1780. Before then, he was a cavalryman in a regiment raised from North Carolina. He fought at the Brandywine and Germantown to the North. I am not too aware of his activities in the North as my regiment, the 2nd American Regiment, the Volunteers of Ireland, fought mainly in the southern theater. It is probably a good thing I never fought my son.

The elder MacCotter says as he drinks once more from his glass.

He misses it. I find my son hunting a lot with old comrades from that regiment. I believe he will return to the army, if Congress ever passes the necessary measures to reinstate our armed forces.
    "Hmmm... Yes, that sounds about right. I was in charge of overseeing the formation and supply of the light horse regiments after Trenton. Did that until I took command of the 1st Continental Light Dragoons around April of 1778. They called it Drake's Legion." It had been hard back then to secure a command when his logistical abilities were so sought after.

"We first saw action in September of that year, defeating a Hessian regiment in an ambush. When Lord Cornwallis moved his British Army into North Carolina, My Legion entered South Carolina to protect that colony. Then in 1781, we participated in Pyle's Massacre and the Siege of Ninety Six." Talking about his war service brought a far off look to Drake's face.

Later we saw considerable action at the Battle of Guilford Court House, and the retaking of North and South Carolina.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

Quote Originally Posted by Xion View Post
    The Sanfords would arrive in time for the President and Vice President's speeches, and once the celebration began, spend their time in conservation with other notables from Rhode Island, New England, or in the case of Thomas Sanford, with fellow captains from the Continental Navy.
    Henry Harris notices the arrival of Thomas Sanford and decides to talk with the naval captain. He strides up to Sanford and greets him with a nod.

"Commander Sanford? Henry Harris, I believe we have yet had the chance to talk with one another. Your naval exploits during the Revolution has always been impressive, and I would like to commend you for your patriotic duty and resilience in front of insurmountable odds."

---------------

@Gandalfus

Edward Lloyd Harris noticed the arrival of Alexander Hamilton who began conversing with President Lionheart. The newspaper editor immediately walked over to greet the leading Federalist.

"Good evening, Secretary Hamilton. Edward Lloyd Harris, editor of the New York Courier. I have followed your work since the Continental Congress and would like to express my thanks and gratitude for everything you have done for our new nation."

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    Immediately, Robert glanced at his father, Lionel, who grinned at the President. Lionel had won his Senatorial seat just earlier this year and was pleased to be given the chance to do so.

I was Secretary of War two times, Your Excellency. I am not ready to leave the political scene just yet. You know well that I have sought to see our army and navy rebuilt. Otherwise, we will be sitting ducks if the damned lobsters come back with orders from the Tyrant, King George, to reclaim us. We can't count of the militias... they break easily and their equipment varies from state to state.

State funding varied which resulted in equipment varying as well. The militia of New York was certainly different than the militia of Georgia.

Even if its a small fighting force, its better than nothing. My son, here, plans to gather former naval personnel to build up support and campaign for a naval rebuilding. We need to protect our nation, from within and without. The Revolution proved the former, and the recent rebellion proved the latter. Rest assured, you will have my utmost and strong support.

James could see that the President had thoroughly examined this situation. The choice of a capital would likely have its effect on the various politicians if it wasn't positioned just right after all.

I believe Philadelphia would be a suitable capital. Its role during the Revolution was paramount and I know my former British superiors know of its vital importance. It was the ideal stronghold in the North and if, God forbid, Britain returns, Philadelphia would be perfectly situated to serve as a command post against any northern advance.

The commander side of MacCotter came out in that instance, recalling the northern campaigns from what he had read.

Speaking of Maryland, the city of Annapolis, along Chesapeake Bay, was a temporary capital recently for the nation and it served as the seat for the Confederation Congress. Given its position along the coast, it would certainly be quite the place to situate a capital. Chesapeake Bay is easy to defend if you situate sound forts along its coast with good cannon and garrisons. The bay is already an ideal place for trade and shipping, so it would present a place to attract citizens for business. Built up right and it could be an ideal capital, Your Excellency.
    "Very good. I'll certainly need it in the coming days, months and years." Lionheart laughed. "Quite the irony fate's dropped into our lap, eh? Here we are again, Lionheart and Harrison, about to fight side by side to ensure the survival of our nation - just not on a battlefield amid smoke and bullets, but in the halls of power, with word and pen. But that is well and good, for there are no others besides yourself whom I would have as my left hand on any battlefield." Unless there was anything more of import to say, the conversation would surely turn to idle chatter until the Harrisons left to make way for the next individual who wanted to chat with the President.

-----

"Perhaps, yes. Though I've a mind to construct a new capital entirely for our new union to avoid any rivalries between the states, God knows how much that will cost." Arthur thought it was a good idea, in theory. If the capital were a new city set in its own autonomous district, no Virginian could complain about the capital being seated among the Marylander Papists, nor a Georgian about it being located amidst the Quakers in Philadelphia or among the Yankees of Massachusetts or vice-versa. "But, figuring out the specifics - and deciding where we should lay down our capital, in general - can wait. Food and wine should be our main concerns tonight."
    "Yes, business of state may begin tomorrow... Assuming we aren't all cursed with a sore head. Then we may perhaps postpone it for another day, eh?"

The Secretary grinned, then turned to his wife and child.

"Elizabeth and Philip."

Alexander introduced them with a wave of the hand. Betsey smiled politely, whilst Philip looked at his shoes. Hamilton senior rolled his eyes.

"A pleasure to meet you, Excellency."

Hamilton's bride intoned, gently nudging her son to parrot her greeting. He remained stubborn.
    "You know me too well, my friend." Lionheart responded with a grin of his own, then turned his head to address Hamilton's wife and silent child. "Enchanté, Mrs. Hamilton." The sight of the young Philip being either too shy or too awestruck to address him amused the President, and he struggled internally not to laugh. "As the angels of the Lord say in the Good Book - fear not, lad. You can look me in the eye and I promise you won't turn to stone, I reserve that power to deal with America's enemies."
    @Barry

Philippe raised an eyebrow curiously. “So you would argue the federal government, not the states, should have control over the extent of borders and the settlement of those disputes?” The Representative would not reveal his hand just yet. Instead he would test the waters first.
    "Not always, of course. Virginia's natural borders should be left in Virginian hands, and for Virginians to sort out with any who dispute them, for example." Lionel laughed lightly, crossing his arms. "But, in more extreme cases where the states are about to come to blows, I do think the federal government has a role to play as mediator and arbiter. Better that than needless bloodshed between Americans, as has already happened between Pennsylvania and Connecticut not long ago."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord William View Post
    Richard contemplated returning home, he grew tired of the festivities and wished to see his wife. This day was for Lionheart, his own absent would go unnoticed by the guests. Richard decide to stay a little longer to keep up appearances, but in fact wanting to go home.

————————————————————

Gilbert Clare the Governor of Massachusetts arrives with his younger brother Thomas Clare to congratulate the president on his inauguration
    Arthur greets both Clares, and also takes a moment to find & chat up his Vice-President. "Richard! Are you enjoying yourself?" He said by way of greeting to the man he'd be working with at the nation's peak, once he found him.
    Quote Originally Posted by cfmonkey45 View Post
    Jonathan Crawford, and his wife Elizabeth, arrives to congratulate the new President is the United States of America.
    The Crawfords are shown the way to the President, who takes a break from wining and dining with some foreign dignitaries to greet them.
    Quote Originally Posted by chesser2538 View Post
    Lifting his own glass in toast "And what a great nation it can be. We truly stand free to charter our own destiny. These next few years will set the course for the next 100." feeling a buzz from the alcohol James kept going "If the confederation has shown anything it's that we will not endure if we remain divided. We must find a balance between the interest of our states and the well being of our nation." How this was to be accomplished James was still torn on.

Pausing to let his words digest. "I do not envy you Arthur for the task you have taken upon yourself. I can only offer whatever help I may be able to provide." Provided that help did not conflict too much with the interest of his fellow Virginians.
    "Funny isn't it, how the more things change, the more they stay the same." Arthur shook his head, smiling thinly even as he clinked glasses with Sterling. "It was said during the Revolution that we of the colonies had to unite or die. Well, as it so happens, we still need to do just that now, though the redcoats have retreated and we have beaten our bayonets into plowshares. As the Tories showed then and Shay's Rebellion shows now, sometimes it is other Americans who can be our worst enemies." But this was not the night to dwell on such grim thoughts. "That's an offer I'm happy to take you up on, my friend. In the end, we can only do the best we can, and pray that God fills in the gaps." If there was nothing else of great import to discuss, Lionheart would be more than happy to steer the conversation away from politics and back to idle friendly chatter at this point.

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

Arthur greets both Clares, and also takes a moment to find & chat up his Vice-President. "Richard! Are you enjoying yourself?" He said by way of greeting to the man he'd be working with at the nation's peak, once he found him.
    Richard smiled
    Indeed I am Mr. President, this is a wonderful party. And yourself, how is your family?
    Richard wasn’t much for parties but understood the importance, though as he stood his raced with work
    have you given much thought yet for Supreme Court nominations?

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

@Barry
    Jean-Baptiste for his part wore somewhat muted clothing, his hair unkempt. Though the most popular scent from France wafted from him. “I could not agree more.” Bellerose replied. “We must stay strong if Maryland is to remain strong.” He fiddles his fingers. “Tell me, what are your opinions on the new powers of the federal government?”

"Maryland is my primary concern. The federal government may play a role as arbiter and ultimate overseer, but I believe our interests are best left to be dictated by our own people."

Philip clasped his hands together and smiled. He was a pious man, named for the saintly Arundel that was martyred by Elizabeth of England.

"I do not necessarily trust that those in government hold our best interests at heart, lacking the wisdom of our shared faith to guide them. Our freedoms are precious, and not to be lightly surrendered to such men as these."

Quote Originally Posted by Jokern View Post

@Gandalfus

Edward Lloyd Harris noticed the arrival of Alexander Hamilton who began conversing with President Lionheart. The newspaper editor immediately walked over to greet the leading Federalist.

"Good evening, Secretary Hamilton. Edward Lloyd Harris, editor of the New York Courier. I have followed your work since the Continental Congress and would like to express my thanks and gratitude for everything you have done for our new nation."

"A pleasure, Mr Harris. I am proud of the work each of us have done in regards to building this nation. Frankly I wish I could claim the credit for myself, but it would be a herculean task to achieve alone."

The Secretary, despite his frontal display of modesty, was secretly quite pleased to be recognised for his work at the Congress. He offered Harris a friendly pat on the shoulder.

"Come, let us have a drink. You are the son of the General Harris, are you not?"

A double-edged sword of a man, regarded as a hero by some and a villain by others. Or both, in some circles. Hamilton grabbed the younger Harris a cup of wine.

"I have never met him, in truth, despite the rather famed rivalry between himself and our President."

Hamilton had heard Lionheart rail about Harris' efforts to depose him a few times during his tenure as Chief of Staff. Saratoga had built the man's reputation up to rival the President's own, for a time. Alexander paused.

"But you must be sick of questions about your father, eh? Tell me, Mr Harris, what are your own plans? I would recommend a career in politics, but my wife would never forgive me for damning another soul to the devil."

"You know me too well, my friend." Lionheart responded with a grin of his own, then turned his head to address Hamilton's wife and silent child. "Enchanté, Mrs. Hamilton." The sight of the young Philip being either too shy or too awestruck to address him amused the President, and he struggled internally not to laugh. "As the angels of the Lord say in the Good Book - fear not, lad. You can look me in the eye and I promise you won't turn to stone, I reserve that power to deal with America's enemies."
    Betsey smirked, and Philip uncertainly raised his head.

"Mr- Excellency"

He managed. Hamilton ruffled his son's hair.

"Thankfully, we have no enemies. Outside our borders, that is."

Alexander grinned ruefully.
    Last edited by Gandalfus; September 18, 2019 at 03:25 AM.

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

"A pleasure, Mr Harris. I am proud of the work each of us have done in regards to building this nation. Frankly I wish I could claim the credit for myself, but it would be a herculean task to achieve alone."

The Secretary, despite his frontal display of modesty, was secretly quite pleased to be recognised for his work at the Congress. He offered Harris a friendly pat on the shoulder.

"Come, let us have a drink. You are the son of the General Harris, are you not?"

A double-edged sword of a man, regarded as a hero by some and a villain by others. Or both, in some circles. Hamilton grabbed the younger Harris a cup of wine.

"I have never met him, in truth, despite the rather famed rivalry between himself and our President."

Hamilton had heard Lionheart rail about Harris' efforts to depose him a few times during his tenure as Chief of Staff. Saratoga had built the man's reputation up to rival the President's own, for a time. Alexander paused.

"But you must be sick of questions about your father, eh? Tell me, Mr Harris, what are your own plans? I would recommend a career in politics, but my wife would never forgive me for damning another soul to the devil."
    "You are too modest, Mr. Hamilton. From New England to Georgia, your name is known far and wide for your contribution to our new and improved Constitution. It is a blessing that we rid ourselves of the Articles of Confederation, otherwise we would have seen our proud republic sunder like Rome."

Edward been among the people writing about the congress, trying to sway public opinion one way or the other. While his newspaper had been small at the time, it had grown considerably these past years. He graciously accepted the wine from Hamilton a took a sip.

"I am indeed his son, and proud of it too. I can introduce you to him later, if you wish, I think you may find each other agreeable."

The younger Harris prayed to God that his father would not let his prejudice against the people who worked under Lionheart get the better of him. He laughed at Hamilton's joke.

"No, I don't think politics is quite right for me just yet. However, I will contribute to furthering our nation's cause through other means. My newspaper covers news and politics on a national level as much as it can, though most of our readers are still here in New York and some of the neighboring states. Yet the sky is the limit and I have plans to expand my business into a true national paper, with readers all across the United States. We need greater efforts to turn this collection of squabbling states into a real country worthy to stand on the world stage."

The nation may have lost a great statesman when Philip Livingston passed, but you lost a grand-father as well. My condolences on your loss." Lionel said politely. It never hurt, and occasionally helped, to extend sincere and honorable condolences to the relatives of dead great men, in his experience.

"That Hamilton always is," He stated later, nodding firmly. "He is not one to hide his opinions on matters off the battlefield, either. But what about you, Mr. Van Rensselaer? Surely you have thoughts on the great and relevant matters of our Union this day, whether it be the Vermont question or the state of anarchy that Massachusetts nearly devolved into two years ago. Could I trouble you for those thoughts?" Not that Van Rensselaer had to answer at these celebrations. In fact, if Lionel deigned to ask his father the same question, he was pretty sure Arthur would brush it off and tell him to focus on having fun rather than blather about politics on this day. But it couldn't hurt to get at least a small inkling of who he might be dealing with in the future.
    "Thanks, Mr Lionheart, your kind words are appreciated"

Replied the Rensselaer scion. He frowned a bit when asked about such affairs so suddenly, but he tried to reply noneless.

"I do have my thoughts, for sure. The matter of Vermont is complicated, sir, as they're freely governed and have a large degree of identity and if the people of Vermont believe they should be their own state in order to be properly represented... One must always hear the people in those matters, they having a say in what rules them and how they're ruled is why the war was started in the first place. But Vermont does have times with my own county of Albany and their stance is very complicated, a thorny issue, indeed, something I don't have a proper answer for. And for the second matter..."

He paused. The grievances of the "rebels" were legitimate, they felt abandoned and unrepresented in the weak government of the confederation.

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical"

"You say that, but I know you don't lack for friends here."

Hamilton smirked. The Dutchman might not be a politician, but he was more than wealthy enough to command an army of allies and favours that was perhaps equivalent to political office.

"Besides, who is to say you could not enter politics? If you were bored enough, that is."
    "Yes, I don't lack in acquaintances, certainly. Neither friends is something I have scarcity of, including you, my good brother Hamilton"

He replied, smiling.

"Certainly, I could, Hamilton, and I would not matter serving the nation, but I doubt the President has the need for a man like me, unexperienced like I am. But I guess I could be of service to the Confederation"

The people's leaders weren't much older when everything started.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

@Barry

”An.. interesting perspective. And one I’m certain many share.” Philippe allows. “I suppose we will see what the future holds for us all, as God’s plan unfurls.”

"Maryland is my primary concern. The federal government may play a role as arbiter and ultimate overseer, but I believe our interests are best left to be dictated by our own people."

Philip clasped his hands together and smiled. He was a pious man, named for the saintly Arundel that was martyred by Elizabeth of England.

"I do not necessarily trust that those in government hold our best interests at heart, lacking the wisdom of our shared faith to guide them. Our freedoms are precious, and not to be lightly surrendered to such men as these."
    ”I could not agree more. Any central government should drive its powers from the strength of the states, not at their expense.” Jean-Baptiste remarks, amicably. “Is it not our duty, as the faithful, to share our wisdom with our new countrymen?” He questioned with a chuckle. Jean-Baptiste has never been the most pious of men, despite being educated by Jesuits, always stuck in his books. Wrapped up in his science and his inventions. “I may serve in the Senate now, but know my loyalty lie with Maryland, and my kith and kin within. I hope our families can continue to remain friends as we have been before.” He fiddles with his cuffs lazily. “In other news, I hear your brother has returned from France, as has my own. Interesting developments to be sure.”

Henry Harris notices the arrival of Thomas Sanford and decides to talk with the naval captain. He strides up to Sanford and greets him with a nod.

"Commander Sanford? Henry Harris, I believe we have yet had the chance to talk with one another. Your naval exploits during the Revolution has always been impressive, and I would like to commend you for your patriotic duty and resilience in front of insurmountable odds."
    Thomas nods. "Indeed, sir. A pleasure to make the acquaintance of the hero of Saratoga. Thank you, sir, and I wish to commend you for your service to our country as well."

"You are too modest, Mr. Hamilton. From New England to Georgia, your name is known far and wide for your contribution to our new and improved Constitution. It is a blessing that we rid ourselves of the Articles of Confederation, otherwise we would have seen our proud republic sunder like Rome."

Edward been among the people writing about the congress, trying to sway public opinion one way or the other. While his newspaper had been small at the time, it had grown considerably these past years. He graciously accepted the wine from Hamilton a took a sip.

"I am indeed his son, and proud of it too. I can introduce you to him later, if you wish, I think you may find each other agreeable."

The younger Harris prayed to God that his father would not let his prejudice against the people who worked under Lionheart get the better of him. He laughed at Hamilton's joke.

"No, I don't think politics is quite right for me just yet. However, I will contribute to furthering our nation's cause through other means. My newspaper covers news and politics on a national level as much as it can, though most of our readers are still here in New York and some of the neighboring states. Yet the sky is the limit and I have plans to expand my business into a true national paper, with readers all across the United States. We need greater efforts to turn this collection of squabbling states into a real country worthy to stand on the world stage."
    "I could not agree more, Mr. Harris. I think I've read your paper once or twice. Impressive work."

Hamilton smiled enigmatically at some hidden triumph.

"I live in Manhattan, on the heights, and have considerable shares in the city bank. Another friend in business could not hurt, eh?"

Influence over the spread of news was of the greatest importance. It would be prudent to prevent it from falling into the wrong hands.

"Yes, I don't lack in acquaintances, certainly. Neither friends is something I have scarcity of, including you, my good brother Hamilton"

He replied, smiling.

"Certainly, I could, Hamilton, and I would not matter serving the nation, but I doubt the President has the need for a man like me, unexperienced like I am. But I guess I could be of service to the Confederation"

The people's leaders weren't much older when everything started.

"Bah. Our country needs men like you who know how to think. Military men tend to shoot first, so to speak."

Hamilton took another sip, then set the cup aside. His head was starting to grow dizzy.

"You would stand for election to the Congress?"

@Barry
    ”I could not agree more. Any central government should drive its powers from the strength of the states, not at their expense.” Jean-Baptiste remarks, amicably. “Is it not our duty, as the faithful, to share our wisdom with our new countrymen?” He questioned with a chuckle. Jean-Baptiste has never been the most pious of men, despite being educated by Jesuits, always stuck in his books. Wrapped up in his science and his inventions. “I may serve in the Senate now, but know my loyalty lie with Maryland, and my kith and kin within. I hope our families can continue to remain friends as we have been before.” He fiddles with his cuffs lazily. “In other news, I hear your brother has returned from France, as has my own. Interesting developments to be sure.”
    Howard nodded ambiguously. Their family still had a few contacts among the Jacobite exiles that still dwelt in exile, as well as among the French nobility.

"My brother returned to inform me of the recent developments. The political climate is worrying, to say the least."

The populace had long been discontent, but never before had it escalated into such open defiance against the King. Not for many centuries, at least.

“Yes. My brother, Pierre, said much the same. Though he seems to have confidence that things will settle down in short order.” Jean-Baptist’s says. “My old friends, from my time as Minister to France, have more.. mixed opinions. But, I pray that King Louis may stabilize his position. Without France I do not think our growing young nation will survive, with the ravenous wolves in Britain eying us.”

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast