Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Inauguration of Arthur Lionheart, 1789

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

Default Re: Inauguration of Arthur Lionheart, 1789

Quote Originally Posted by Xion View Post
    Thomas nods. "Indeed, sir. A pleasure to make the acquaintance of the hero of Saratoga. Thank you, sir, and I wish to commend you for your service to our country as well."
    Harris made a slight bow with his head.

"Thank you. Yet despite the service we have done for our country, here we stand without armies and fleets. How are we to defend ourselves should one of the great empires of Europe come knocking on our door? Are we to send inexperienced militias and fishing boats at grenadiers and ships-of-the-line?"

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfus View Post
    "I could not agree more, Mr. Harris. I think I've read your paper once or twice. Impressive work."

Hamilton smiled enigmatically at some hidden triumph.

"I live in Manhattan, on the heights, and have considerable shares in the city bank. Another friend in business could not hurt, eh?"

Influence over the spread of news was of the greatest importance. It would be prudent to prevent it from falling into the wrong hands.
    Harris pondered the idea for a bit. He had practically built the company from the ground up himself, he had no intention of letting it fall into someone else's hands. Yet it always paid off to have connections to the powers that be. He smiled at Hamilton.

"Thank you for your kind words. It certainly would not hurt, Mr. Hamilton, I would be glad to discuss further business between us. I am positive we will come to an understanding."

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Quote Originally Posted by Lord William View Post
    Richard smiled
    Indeed I am Mr. President, this is a wonderful party. And yourself, how is your family?
    Richard wasn’t much for parties but understood the importance, though as he stood his raced with work
    have you given much thought yet for Supreme Court nominations?
    "Good and better. Though who knows, the stress of presidency might change that." Lionheart joked, laughing.

"I have not, honestly." He responded, a good deal more serious when the topic of the Supreme Court came up. Legal matters were neither his area of expertise nor a place of much interest to him, beyond what he needed to know to defend himself. "There's so much to do in just the first week. But I expect distinguished names will come to my table soon enough. If you can think of any to recommend to me, by all means, talk to me."
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfus View Post
    Betsey smirked, and Philip uncertainly raised his head.

"Mr- Excellency"

He managed. Hamilton ruffled his son's hair.

"Thankfully, we have no enemies. Outside our borders, that is."

Alexander grinned ruefully.
    "Mighty pleased to make your acquaintance too, lad." Lionheart responded informally, grinning and crossing his arms.

"And that's true, for now. But the British aren't just lurking to our north, they've got forts and Indian friends all over the Northwest Territory. Indian friends who, alas, are both armed and not very friendly to us. Then there's the Spanish - our allies from the war, but an intractable enemy to those who want to push our frontier ever westward, considering what lands they presently occupy." The President shook his head. "So much to sort out, so little time. But not so little that we cannot relax for this banquet. Enjoy the night, friends."
    Quote Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
    "Thanks, Mr Lionheart, your kind words are appreciated"

Replied the Rensselaer scion. He frowned a bit when asked about such affairs so suddenly, but he tried to reply noneless.

"I do have my thoughts, for sure. The matter of Vermont is complicated, sir, as they're freely governed and have a large degree of identity and if the people of Vermont believe they should be their own state in order to be properly represented... One must always hear the people in those matters, they having a say in what rules them and how they're ruled is why the war was started in the first place. But Vermont does have times with my own county of Albany and their stance is very complicated, a thorny issue, indeed, something I don't have a proper answer for. And for the second matter..."

He paused. The grievances of the "rebels" were legitimate, they felt abandoned and unrepresented in the weak government of the confederation.

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical"
    "Both are interesting perspectives, to be sure." The younger Lionheart nodded along. This was the first New Yorker he'd met in a long time who seemed content with letting Vermont go, even with reparations. "Better still that you freely admit you don't have an answer for that complicated issue, and need to further consider it. No small number of office-seekers tend to have very inflexible mindsets, they'll make up their mind on this or that issue even before they've fully considered it and then stubbornly refuse to change should new information come up or new arguments be presented." Something Lionel knew he himself could be, and was, guilty of from time to time. The younger New Yorker's stance on Shays' Rebellion clashed with his own, but he figured long ago that there was no chance of finding another politician with whom he agreed on everything, so fine.

"Have you considered a career in politics, by any chance? Congress could use more interesting perspectives."
    Quote Originally Posted by Pericles of Athens View Post
    @Barry

”An.. interesting perspective. And one I’m certain many share.” Philippe allows. “I suppose we will see what the future holds for us all, as God’s plan unfurls.”
    "So we shall." Lionheart affirmed, his eyes narrowing slightly. Bellerose was trying to remain inscrutable - was the man implying disagreement with him? No matter. The next few weeks and months in Congress would make everyone's stances on everything clearer in a way that conversations around the dining table could never.

Unless there was anything more of import Bellerose wished to discuss, the conversation would likely turn to idle chatter from here on out until the two men parted ways.

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

Good and better. Though who knows, the stress of presidency might change that." Lionheart joked, laughing.

"I have not, honestly." He responded, a good deal more serious when the topic of the Supreme Court came up. Legal matters were neither his area of expertise nor a place of much interest to him, beyond what he needed to know to defend himself. "There's so much to do in just the first week. But I expect distinguished names will come to my table soon enough. If you can think of any to recommend to me, by all means, talk to me."
    I myself haven’t practiced law since the revolution, and to be honest I’d be clueless as to whom may make a worthy candidate. All of my acquaintances are either too old or dead but my son Thomas has had his own legal practice for some time now and may be of better use in this matter.

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

Quote Originally Posted by Jokern View Post
    Harris made a slight bow with his head.

"Thank you. Yet despite the service we have done for our country, here we stand without armies and fleets. How are we to defend ourselves should one of the great empires of Europe come knocking on our door? Are we to send inexperienced militias and fishing boats at grenadiers and ships-of-the-line?"
    Sanford nods in agreement. "Not just the Europeans, sir. Are we to rely on militia to potentially fight their neighbors if another Shay's happens as well? Surely some men must've known someone on the other side." He pauses for a moment. "Apparently, although our government would likely issue letters of marque to privateers.." Sanford mutters the last word with a hint of disdain. "..instead of relying on fishing boats or seizing merchantmen."

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by chesser2538 View Post
    "Hmmm... Yes, that sounds about right. I was in charge of overseeing the formation and supply of the light horse regiments after Trenton. Did that until I took command of the 1st Continental Light Dragoons around April of 1778. They called it Drake's Legion." It had been hard back then to secure a command when his logistical abilities were so sought after.

"We first saw action in September of that year, defeating a Hessian regiment in an ambush. When Lord Cornwallis moved his British Army into North Carolina, My Legion entered South Carolina to protect that colony. Then in 1781, we participated in Pyle's Massacre and the Siege of Ninety Six." Talking about his war service brought a far off look to Drake's face.

Later we saw considerable action at the Battle of Guilford Court House, and the retaking of North and South Carolina.

Seems like you went all over the place, Mr. Drake. I never went any further north than the Carolinas.

James knew of the efforts to retake North Carolina. Again, it was a good thing that Joseph served in the Continental Army. The family was well protected by his only living son while the patriarch did his best to serve the Crown further south. MacCotter wondered how things could have changed, but Lionheart had been victorious and the country needed people to concern themselves with making her stronger.

It's a shame that Shay's Rebellion hasn't lit a fire to see the return of a standing army. My son told me many times how his superiors were quite frustrated with the militias from Patriot states.

Militias were unreliable. Case in point, the Tory militias themselves. They were nothing more than fanatical rabble that would break at the first sound of gunfire.

Tell me, what is your opinion on the military of our nation? Should it be in the hands of the states or the federal government?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    "Very good. I'll certainly need it in the coming days, months and years." Lionheart laughed. "Quite the irony fate's dropped into our lap, eh? Here we are again, Lionheart and Harrison, about to fight side by side to ensure the survival of our nation - just not on a battlefield amid smoke and bullets, but in the halls of power, with word and pen. But that is well and good, for there are no others besides yourself whom I would have as my left hand on any battlefield." Unless there was anything more of import to say, the conversation would surely turn to idle chatter until the Harrisons left to make way for the next individual who wanted to chat with the President.

-----

"Perhaps, yes. Though I've a mind to construct a new capital entirely for our new union to avoid any rivalries between the states, God knows how much that will cost." Arthur thought it was a good idea, in theory. If the capital were a new city set in its own autonomous district, no Virginian could complain about the capital being seated among the Marylander Papists, nor a Georgian about it being located amidst the Quakers in Philadelphia or among the Yankees of Massachusetts or vice-versa. "But, figuring out the specifics - and deciding where we should lay down our capital, in general - can wait. Food and wine should be our main concerns tonight."
    With the way you put it, Arthur, I would rather be firing a cannon to get these people to wake up and realize the necessity for an army and navy.

Lionel chuckles lightly as he pats his old friend's shoulder with a grin on his face.

With how unstable France is, we don't have a barrier nor an ally to rely upon to prevent Britain from looking away from us. I can already feel their lurking gaze from Canada and across the ocean.

Harrison pauses to drink from his glass.

I will see if I can arrange further support and ensure those like-minded persons are in agreement. The sooner we get our armed forces together, the sooner we can all rest well, Your Excellency. Wouldn't you agree?

=========

A capital without any connection to a state. The idea was a curious one, but like Lionheart said, an expensive one to commit to. James remembered the stories, written by his ancestor in a journal, of how untamed the land was when they arrived in North Carolina. Right now though, America's financial situation wasn't the best. And until that was resolved, the idea of a newly built capital was nothing more than a dream.

Indeed. Besides, a more pressing issue is our finance state and the future of our military, first and foremost. Can't well defend a new capital if there is nothing to defend it with.

James raises his glass slightly.

Sad what is happening in France... truly shows how unstable a country can turn with an ease similar to turning one's hand. Have the French spoken with our ambassadors recently?

=========

After speaking with the President, Harrison begins to move around the room, speaking with old comrades from his days in the Continental Army and political acquaintances made recently. As he moved around the room, his ears caught the voice of a familiar person. He turns to his left to see Monsieur Bellerose, the Savior of the South as he was called. Lionel has a passing servant refill his glass before making his way over.

When was the last time we spoke, Monsieur Bellerose? I feel its been since the Continental Army was disbanded. Such a sad thing that that had to happen... Shay would have never had a chance if it was still around.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

The Frenchmen smiles faintly, raising his own glass toward Harrison. He would soon head to speak to the president, but it would be good to chat with another companion from the old days, for a time.

“I would say so, ami.” The man replies. “For I left for France shortly after. Not enough action here of course, though perhaps there would have been, if I’d merely waited.” His posture was form, demeanor serious. “I would suspect not, an army of rabble could not compete with the Old Maryland Line. Though their grievances were not without merit, if I have heard correctly.”

Governor Sanford, after finishing his conservation with a fellow former congressman from Rhode Island, makes his way to where the President is seated, accompanied by his son Stephen. "Your excellency, congratulations on your election." Both Sanfords then bow slightly.

cfmonkey45's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    The Crawfords are shown the way to the President, who takes a break from wining and dining with some foreign dignitaries to greet them.
    Jonathan Crawford reached out to shake the hand of President Arthur Lionel. It had been some time since he had seen the Hero of the Republic, and he almost had the urge to embrace him as an old friend.

"Old friend, Mr. President, it is so great to see you. Congratulations on your election as President of these United States. My wife, Elizabeth, and I came to give you our warmest regards. I can tell you that we were quite apprehensive as to whether this Great Experiment of ours would be a success, but given that you are at the helm of this ship, we can think of no better captain."

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Quote Originally Posted by Lord William View Post
    I myself haven’t practiced law since the revolution, and to be honest I’d be clueless as to whom may make a worthy candidate. All of my acquaintances are either too old or dead but my son Thomas has had his own legal practice for some time now and may be of better use in this matter.
    "Oh, is that so?" Lionheart raised an eyebrow. He may not have much in the way of choices for appointments if nobody else stepped up, but the President wasn't so bereft of political sense that he didn't know naming the Vice-President's son to the bench of the highest court of the land could be perceived as nepotistic, to say the least. Deflecting from a straight 'yes/no' and determined to get a better idea of the younger Clare's qualifications he instead asked, "How long has your son been practicing?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    With the way you put it, Arthur, I would rather be firing a cannon to get these people to wake up and realize the necessity for an army and navy.

Lionel chuckles lightly as he pats his old friend's shoulder with a grin on his face.

With how unstable France is, we don't have a barrier nor an ally to rely upon to prevent Britain from looking away from us. I can already feel their lurking gaze from Canada and across the ocean.

Harrison pauses to drink from his glass.

I will see if I can arrange further support and ensure those like-minded persons are in agreement. The sooner we get our armed forces together, the sooner we can all rest well, Your Excellency. Wouldn't you agree?

=========

A capital without any connection to a state. The idea was a curious one, but like Lionheart said, an expensive one to commit to. James remembered the stories, written by his ancestor in a journal, of how untamed the land was when they arrived in North Carolina. Right now though, America's financial situation wasn't the best. And until that was resolved, the idea of a newly built capital was nothing more than a dream.

Indeed. Besides, a more pressing issue is our finance state and the future of our military, first and foremost. Can't well defend a new capital if there is nothing to defend it with.

James raises his glass slightly.

Sad what is happening in France... truly shows how unstable a country can turn with an ease similar to turning one's hand. Have the French spoken with our ambassadors recently?
    "That we are, as usual." Arthur raised his own glass in toast. "To a bright future for our country, secured by mighty arms."

-----

"Not that I know of, though in my defense I've been president for a few hours and thus have not spoken to them yet. But I have heard grim tidings from our mutual friend in Pierre." Arthur shook his head, no longer smiling. "The situation appears to be hotter than ever before across the sea. The French people are agitated and by the sound of it, we're not far from someone doing something stupid. I hope, of course, that our old ally King Louis can weather this storm. He must." The alternative would leave America decidedly vulnerable to renewed British aggression.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xion View Post
    Governor Sanford, after finishing his conservation with a fellow former congressman from Rhode Island, makes his way to where the President is seated, accompanied by his son Stephen. "Your excellency, congratulations on your election." Both Sanfords then bow slightly.
    "My thanks, friends." Arthur received their praises with a gentlemanly grace, as expected of any planter patriarch. He had heard the older man was Rhode Island's Governor - it would be an extremely bad look if the newly elected President turned out to have had no clue who the next most powerful elected officials in the country were - but was unfamiliar with the other, younger fellow. Alas, if only he had had another son who could've joined the Navy, and was also ideally less of a power-hungry disappointment than his firstborn.
    Quote Originally Posted by cfmonkey45 View Post
    Jonathan Crawford reached out to shake the hand of President Arthur Lionel. It had been some time since he had seen the Hero of the Republic, and he almost had the urge to embrace him as an old friend.
    "Old friend, Mr. President, it is so great to see you. Congratulations on your election as President of these United States. My wife, Elizabeth, and I came to give you our warmest regards. I can tell you that we were quite apprehensive as to whether this Great Experiment of ours would be a success, but given that you are at the helm of this ship, we can think of no better captain."
    "You're too kind, Jonathan. But you had best save the praise for after my term's done, so as not to jinx me. If my memory does not fail me, the last time someone prematurely sang my praises was right before the Battle of Long Island." Arthur grinned. "Enchanté, Mrs. Crawford." Next he addressed the other man's wife. Crawford had been instrumental in getting the Constitution set up, and as the Convention wore on two years ago Lionheart had found his positions most supportable - the man was no monarchist like his own son, but not a virtual anarchist who'd try to hew as closely to the failed Articles of Confederation, either. He would remain a valuable political ally going forward, in the President's estimation. "Enjoying the night, I hope?"

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

"Oh, is that so?" Lionheart raised an eyebrow. He may not have much in the way of choices for appointments if nobody else stepped up, but the President wasn't so bereft of political sense that he didn't know naming the Vice-President's son to the bench of the highest court of the land could be perceived as nepotistic, to say the least. Deflecting from a straight 'yes/no' and determined to get a better idea of the younger Clare's qualifications he instead asked, "How long has your son been practicing?"
    He has been practicing for over 12 years. I was about his age when I was called to the bench, of course providence had a different fate in mind for myself. Why? Are you considering my son for the bench?

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234