Thread: Congress - The House of Representatives

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Default Congress - The House of Representatives

The House is the lower chamber of the United States Congress, comprised of multiple Representatives from each state who are directly by the people and apportioned according to the census, with more populated states getting to send more representatives than smaller ones. This chamber is responsible primarily for determining American domestic policy (the main exceptions are declarations of war, which are voted on by both houses), in particular the initiation of all revenue-related bills; for initiating the impeachment process against anybody, from Justices to the President, on grounds of treason, bribery or 'other high crimes and misdemeanors', though after the House has voted to impeach the Senate must also vote to convict; and electing the President in the event of a deadlock in the Electoral College.

The House currently meets in: Congress Hall, Philadelphia

The Speaker of the House of Representatives, who presides over the chamber, is currently: Philippe Bellerose

The current makeup of the House is:
    37 centralists
    28 anti-centralists
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; September 23, 2019 at 12:32 PM.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Congress - The House of Representatives

Philippe Bellerose stood, after the speeches, prayers, and grandstanding of the opening of the first session of Congress. He took to the floor, clearing his throat audibly. “Esteemed representatives of the United States of America.” The war veteran said, he was young, but confident. “Our first order of business, before any debate or drafting may begin, is to elect a Speaker. To preside over this body, administer our debates, and see that history is kind to us. This is not only advisable, but our conditional duty, so I urge that we not dally on the matter.” He inhales deeply. “To that end, I humbly put forward my own name for consideration.” He proceeded to take a seat.

"I support the nomination of Mr Bellerose, for there are few more qualified than he residing in this chamber at present."

Douglas announced, with a wave of the hand.

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

Gustav Lindberg waved with his hand as well.

"Mr. Bellerose has my support as well. Let us elect the Speaker so that this House can begin its very first session."

Gustav Lindberg rose once the business of the Speaker had been taken care of.

"Mr. Speaker, gentlemen of this House. Since the ratification of our new Constitution, it falls to Congress to vote and decide on matters of federal importance. The United States and its individual constituents accumulated great amounts of debt in their fight for freedom and liberty. Yet now that we are independent, our economy is still controlled from Europe through the mass flooding of European imported goods on American markets. The American farmer and the American worker both are suffering because of this, for their produce in return suffer heavy tolls to enter European markets."

He slammed his hand in his table to punctuate his point.

"The old monarchies refuse to even consider a fair and amicable commercial treaty with our states. The individual states tried to retaliate, but their efforts were in vain since there was no unified front - foreign merchants just sailed to the cheapest port to load off their goods, followed by trade war between the members of this Union. It is almost laughable if it was not such a sad state of affairs. I have personally received mountains of letters from businessmen and farmers from Pennsylvania, crying out for help against the beast that tries to strangle them out of their livelihood and force them into destitution."

Lindberg paused to catch his breath for a brief moment.

"If the states cannot unite by themselves, I fear that it falls to the federal government to act and regulate trade across these United States. I therefore propose a bill that will impose federal import fees on all foreign goods not covered by any trade treaty, both industrial and agricultural. This is to be managed by a new federal customs service and the collected revenue would go to the federal treasury first to pay of its national debts. The import fees must be approved by Congress before they can be implemented by the executive branch."

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Philippe, the newly minted Speaker of the House, nods. Rising to his feet. “Esteemed Representative Lindbergh, I will allow a general discussion of tariffs to be brought to the floor.” He says monotone. “Though I will remind the esteemed congressmen to remember the states they serve, many of which rely on exports to keep their economies afloat.” He intertwines his fingers over his torso. “As a representative from the great state of Maryland I can attest that harsh tariffs would harm our state, and many others, irreparably. That being said, the British have and continue to take advantage of us, both in trade and in their illegal occupation of the Northwest territory. As such, I bring the discussion to the floor, and further add that in addition to prospective tariffs we leave open an avenue for closer and more amiable trade with our honored allies from the war.” With that the Speaker sits.

Gustav Lindberg rose once more.

"With all due respect, Mr. Speaker, our exports are already being grievously harmed by the heavy import tariffs that the European powers put on American goods entering their markets. My home state of Pennsylvania is one of these in states, like Maryland, whose exports toil under heavy fees in Paris, London and Amsterdam. At the same time, the unhindered import of European goods means that the American manufacturer and farmer cannot compete fairly. Until proper treaties on trade can be negotiated, our response must be to raise import tariffs on European goods. I do agree, however, that in order to stimulate trade export tariffs should be kept to a minimum."