Thread: The Presidential Residence

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Default The Presidential Residence

Before the designation of a permanent national capital and the construction of the White House, the Presidents of the United States maintained something of an informal, itinerant court - ironically, not entirely dissimilar to early medieval kings - and switched their place of residence several times. Nonetheless, anyone who wants to have an audience with the President can usually find him in the fanciest mansion in whichever city is currently serving as the American capital at the time.

The President's current residence is: First Presidential Mansion, New York City

The current President is: Arthur Lionheart (Nonpartisan Centralist)
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; September 09, 2019 at 06:10 PM.

Default Re: The Presidential Residence

A day or two after the Presidential inauguration, Secretary Hamilton arrives at Lionheart's current residence, armed with a sheaf of papers and accompanied by a few trusted clerks, apparently already prepared to begin the business of government.

Hamilton is smoothly welcomed into Lionheart's office, which had been made pristine and organized over the last few days: a sign that the President was getting serious about doing his job, as Hamilton might remember from the times before major battles where Lionheart would assume a more restrained expression than his usual jovial self and transform his command tent from a flamboyant mess into a suddenly neatly organized environment. This time, Arthur wasn't quite as dour as he was before Long Island and Trenton and other turning points in the Revolutionary War - he had a smile on his face as he greeted the other man - but there was a steely determination in his eyes, and his mannerisms were more professional than at the inaugural banquet.

"Secretary Hamilton, welcome. I trust we're both here with purpose, that purpose being helming the ship of state." Lionheart was seated behind his oaken work-desk, and motioned for Hamilton to take one of the seats opposite him. "I've also dispatched a message to Vice-President Clare, to join us as soon as he's able. I'd like to begin as soon as he gets here."

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

Richard knocks on the door waiting to be let in

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

"Excellent, now that we're all here..." Arthur began once Clare had been allowed inside and taken his seat beside Hamilton. "I believe our first order of business must be to fill out the rest of the cabinet, for I cannot steer the ship of state but with a crew of skilled hands with me. To that end I require a Secretary of State, a Secretary of War, and an Attorney General. Your recommendations, gentlemen?" He had his own half-baked ideas for nominees, of course (though not for all the positions), but was content to let the only other members of his cabinet put forth their own cases first - who knows, they might even change his mind without knowing it.

Citizen

I would suggest Mr. Thomas Lindberg for US Attorney, I have had the opportunity to read his writings. His earlier writings supported a strong central government to which I am akin but he has since changed his views to supporting the individuality of the states. Though I don't support his views on the modern state, I would still consider him a moderate, who writes well and has a good understanding of the law. I would not dare to recommend a secretary of war, though it is of my opinion that whom is to fulfill the post should be someone with battlefield experience and who has held senior command.
    Richard paused for a moment and thought carefully, he was the current Vice President of the United States but this title was merely that just a title. Sure he was president of the senate but realistically he just sat reading the newspaper whilst other men argued, it was a punishment not a position of office. If Richard could also gain the secretary of state, his position would have more importance and he wouldn't be bored everyday.
    If I may be so bold Mr. President I would like to nominate myself for Secretary of State, my experience abroad would prove a vital asset to this administration

Section Editor ES

"I cannot nominate you to another cabinet position when you are already in cabinet my Vice-President, Richard." Arthur explained with a laugh. Well, theoretically he could, he supposed - he couldn't remember any law forbidding him from doing so explicitly - but he'd rather not except as a last resort. Better to nominate another powerful ally to that role instead, so as to keep them satisfied and add another qualified voice to Cabinet. "But that should not stop you from representing our country abroad when the man I do nominate as Secretary of State is unavailable." Lionheart tried to think back to the people he'd met at his inauguration, as well as other friends he could trust. "Which individuals of import did you meet at the inauguration, might I ask? Anyone you'd recommend to the role?"

Hamilton observed quietly for a few moments, expression largely imperceptible.

“Our Secretary of War... Perhaps the Bellerose who commanded so ably on the southern front, or one of the officers that served with us in the northern theatre, like Mr Harrison. As for Secretary of State, I can see no other than the Bellerose that brought us the assistance of France, though I would not counsel having both brothers in the same cabinet.”

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    "I cannot nominate you to another cabinet position when you are already in cabinet my Vice-President, Richard." Arthur explained with a laugh. Well, theoretically he could, he supposed - he couldn't remember any law forbidding him from doing so explicitly - but he'd rather not except as a last resort. Better to nominate another powerful ally to that role instead, so as to keep them satisfied and add another qualified voice to Cabinet. "But that should not stop you from representing our country abroad when the man I do nominate as Secretary of State is unavailable." Lionheart tried to think back to the people he'd met at his inauguration, as well as other friends he could trust. "Which individuals of import did you meet at the inauguration, might I ask? Anyone you'd recommend to the role?"
    The Vice Presidency is a more of a punishment than an honour, my job if it can even be called that is to merely listen hours on end whilst never able to give my opinion. I may become insane by the end of our term. We should consider adding to the responsibilities of the Vice President, give it responsibilities deserving of such an important title

when considering appointments to cabinet especially the first cabinet of the United States it is imperative that we include members from various states and ideologies to strengthen the unity of the states.
    Last edited by Lord William; September 25, 2019 at 12:19 PM.

Section Editor ES

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfus View Post
    Hamilton observed quietly for a few moments, expression largely imperceptible.

“Our Secretary of War... Perhaps the Bellerose who commanded so ably on the southern front, or one of the officers that served with us in the northern theatre, like Mr Harrison. As for Secretary of State, I can see no other than the Bellerose that brought us the assistance of France, though I would not counsel having both brothers in the same cabinet.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord William View Post
    The Vice Presidency is a more of a punishment than an honour, my job if it can even be called that is to merely listen hours on end whilst never able to give my opinion. I may become insane by the end of our term. We should consider adding to the responsibilities of the Vice President, give it responsibilities deserving of such an important title

when considering appointments to cabinet especially the first cabinet of the United States it is imperative that we include members from various states and ideologies to strengthen the unity of the states.
    Lionheart raised an eyebrow at his Vice-President's outburst. It occurred to him how little he actually knew of the man, despite their conversation at the inaugural festivities - fair enough, he supposed, for they served the Patriot cause differently in the military and diplomatic spheres. But he had not been expecting such overt power-hunger from Clare, which suddenly placed the latter's promotion of his son in a much darker light in Arthur's eyes. "That you occupy the Vice-Presidential seat is a sign of the trust the American people have in you, Richard, not a punishment." The President reproached. "Am I not asking for your opinion right now? Be assured, I respect your counsel and will seek it as I would the rest of my Cabinet when the need arises, which I expect to be often. And as I have said, the time will come when I will need to send more than just the Secretary of State abroad, much less any regular diplomat - if it is an opportunity to meet, wine and dine with the great statesmen and monarchs of Europe you seek, you'll have it. You've more...responsibility than you seem to think."

"So..." The President steepled his hands once Hamilton had proffered his advice. It was time to make a decision. "Jean-Baptiste Bellerose for Secretary of State, Lionel Harrison for Secretary of War, and Thomas Lindbergh for Attorney-General, then. If there are no objections, I'll immediately dispatch letters to each of these individuals' homes to determine whether they are willing to accept their assigned roles in Cabinet, followed by a message to the Senate requesting that they consent to confirming these men." This list was one he'd crafted from combining the suggestions of Clare and Hamilton, and was to his satisfaction.

“We must all serve the state as we are called upon to do so, Mr Clare. As the new appointees to the cabinet will soon learn.”

Hamilton idly toyed with his wedding ring, then set his sheaf of papers down upon the table.

”I hope I am not getting too ahead of myself with my eagerness to discuss national policy, Mr President. I have a number of proposals that I believe will strengthen our state and therefore the union itself. As the Continental Congress showed, a toothless federal government is barely a government at all.”

"Not at all, Alexander." Arthur turned his full attention to Hamilton. "I would prefer that anything to do with a military or foreign affairs waits until we have the respective Secretaries in place, but if what you are about to suggest has to do primarily with the state of our economy and the obtainment of revenue, or really anything but those two former categories - fire away, my friend."

"In short, my proposals are aimed at establishing economic stability in our union of states. The creation of a national bank, a system of public credit, and a mint to allow the government to establish a proper currency. As well as proposed methods of taxation to fund such endeavours, of course."

Hamilton's clerks sifted through the papers, one of them passing the secretary a bound up report.

"I have proposed a few solutions: tariffs, for one, as well as excise tax on certain goods. It is my hope that the federal government may assume the debt of those that suffered during our war for independence, and it shall need funds to do so."

He looked across at the President, expectantly.

"All sounds well, save the tariffs." Arthur grimaced. Those would punch him and his fellow planters in the wallet, and he could ill-afford tension spiking in the South at this delicate time. They had not had the necessity of a strong federal government demonstrated to them as brutally and openly as the North had with Shays' Rebellion. "Can you think of any other way to raise internal revenue? Taxes on whiskey, and the like."

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

A letter arrives at the president's office, bearing the seal of the Governor of Pennsylvania.

To the President of the United States,

I am most gracious for your offer, though I have pondered long and hard on my answer. The office carries a burden I am unsure that I am worthy of carrying. Yet in these times of uncharted territory for our Union and its constituent states, we must see to it that the dictatorship of government does not infringe on the universal freedoms that all men have a right to. I will gladly accept your proposal and serve as the Attorney General on your cabinet.

Best regards,
    Thomas Lindberg, Governor of Pennsylvania

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

A correspondence arrives to the office of the President, bearing the signature of Lionel Harrison, Senator of New Hampshire,

To the President of the United States,

It has taken me little thought to accept the offer you have given me. An offer I most graciously offer my gratitude for. Though I can no longer serve in the Army, as I once most faithfully did before, I know that I can still do good for them by accepting this post that I have served in before. Know that I will work my hardest and give my greatest of determination to see our military reformed and rebuilt so that our country can be properly defended from outward and inward enemies. For as we fought for our Independence, so must we defend it.

Signed,
    Lionel Harrison, Senator of New Hampshire
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

A letter arrives, to the President.

“Monsieur President,

It would be my great honor to serve our nation in foreign policy once again. I do believe we need a strong and measured hand, like my own, to guide us in the days to come. Too many people in this country are blinded by what they think they know about the outside world, even if they have never left these shores.

You can trust that I will pass your regards, and your message, onto my dear brother. And no one else of course. Expect to see me at the earliest convenience.

Cordialement,
    Jean-Baptiste Bellerose”