Thread: Someone thinks an Alexander DLC still possible ?

MarkusAntonius's Avatar Tiro

Icon5 Someone thinks an Alexander DLC still possible ?

I'm the only one still dreaming with it ? I hope not. I Mean the game is made for it, It has the Greek and Persian models already, The Equipments, The Settlements, even the Wonders. The only things needed would be the addition of Indian culture like Unit models, Settlements ( Even the Indian Elephants the game already has ) and some custom models like Alexander, Bucephalus, Darius, Porus even some of his Companions, and maybe some historical events.

People have been talking about it probably become a Total war Saga. maybe like this proposed Troy total war that will probably be based on Three Kingdoms duel system. In an age of Heroic duels it's understandable. But in Alexander's Age I Think it would be stupid. As i said Rome II already has everything for this Campaign. They can go even further than this because Rome II and the Age it covers still very promissing for DLCs. They could make even a prequel and a sequel campaigns like Philip of Macedon and The Diadochi Wars. They already have Campaigns before and after it. and Total War series never jumps an age ( I mean they never release a later game covering an Age they they already did in another recent game and engine ). So i think and still have hopes it's possible .

valerius karamanus's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Someone thinks an Alexander DLC still possible ?

I sincerely hope for more updates but I doubt R2 will get more. Engine is old and active player per day gets below 5k nowadays.

Safe to say Alexander will be a saga game. I think they will return to Hellenistic era after Troy, possibly with side-dlc's like Diadochi Wars. But that brings the problem you mentioned, new games get increasingly character oriented, and Alexandrian era is not known for duels and magic stuff. Guess we will have to wait and see.

I still have hopes. Specially after i've found this on the internet. It's a few years old, But at least i know they have a good model for Alexander if they ever want to make or release a Campaign about him.

I really want them to do it. If that's Alexander it looks like they thought about doing it then decided not to.

Where'd you get that by the way?

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Artstation.CA is publicing a lot art stuff from time to time..

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Zero chance, I am afraid. I used to believe that Alexander was the strongest candidate for the relatively recent DLCs for Rome II, until I realised that the scope of these campaigns was much more limited. A campaign based on the Macedonian conquest would require too much work, from modifying the map and adding an entirely unique culture to balancing the inherently unbalanced situation of 4th century Near East. There's also a great number of things to be done for the sake of historical accuracy, but given how surreal the depiction of Hellenistic Western Asia is in Rome II (invention of imaginary factions, wrong geography, squeezed Iran, Assyrian names for Persian commanders), I doubt CA would spend any resources in this department anyway. In any case, it's safe to assume that Rome II, currently a 6-years old game has been shelved indefinitely.

A Saga scenario is more probable, but I'm rather skeptical. Honestly, Antiquity has been done to death and I suspect that the majority of customers have already been exhausted. Troy relies more not on Bronze Age archeology, but on the appeal of popular culture and mythology, both of which Alexander sorely lacks, despite or perhaps thanks to Oliver Stone's flop. Next tent-pole game would probably be either late Medieval/early modern or purely fantasy with legendary monsters and creatures, while, even if the Saga franchise is not cancelled, it's impossible to expect the next installment before 2023, in my opinion. So, even if Alexander is miraculously selected as the next scenario, there's still a long, long way to go. At least, we can enjoy the Rome I expansion, with its excellent cartography skills:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I just think Alexander's history does not translate very well into the TW game loop, so I don't see as a major loss anyway.

Yep i have to recognise there are some sad truths in what you people say. But i've saw people saying the same about Charlemagne and still they did it. They are focused in Characters personal Campaigns. and let's be reasonable is far better and fun to recreate a historical character campaign. Rome 2 main campaign became useless ( at least for me ). they seem to have learned it and they didn't repeated it in Attila and Thrones of Brittannia because they are almost all historical character focused. And Alexander is and could be a prequel. I mean the game has Ptolemies, Baktrians, Macedonians and Seleucids, would be cool to know where they came from, play and create their origins. They already did something similar with Hannibal, Caesar, Augustus and Aurelian campaigns technically all sequels to each other. They released Desert Kingdoms very late and as i said the game already has everything for this campaign. So there still hope. And Medieval 3 and don't believe we will see it anytime soon. Warhammer is already their Medieval 3. people just don't got it yet. even if they ever release it. it will not be before Empire 2.
    Last edited by MarkusAntonius; October 31, 2019 at 07:20 PM.

Divide et Impera team got an Alexander the Great campaign in beta phase. Go give it a try and follow the dev process

I've received this advice before. As far as i admire and respect DEI as the best Rome 2 mod, It's too much for me. I prefer my own personal mods, in my own Vanilla way. And the Campaign for me doesn't have the same taste as an Official Campaign DLC with it's own personnal stuff. I mean it's a personnal opinion, no offense meant.